Oppo Camp Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

How funny would it be if Cats choked hard this year and we got a top 10 pick. I would literally make a shrine of Scott Clayton in my house. Haha.

TheJaegerBomb

Bennell for Frawley and a compo pick? These Demons fans can't be serious?

Won't ever happen so doesn't bother me. You and I both know our list management department is far too shrewd to get rorted like that. My bet would be the club will act in good faith but on a far, far smaller scale.

Won't ever happen so doesn't bother me. You and I both know our list management department is far too shrewd to get rorted like that. My bet would be the club will act in good faith but on a far, far smaller scale.
Yeah. I think they'll be fair but there is no way Clayton and co. will let one of their guns like Bennell go. Straight swap for Frawley seems the most likely outcome to me.

Just thought I'd let it be known that the Gold Coast have three of the remaining five compensation picks that were given to clubs after they lost players to the Suns and GWS. The picks:

Gold Coast
  • first rounder after Geelong's pick, expires this year.
  • third rounder after Collingwood's pick, expires this year.
  • end of first rounder, expires next year.
GWS:
  • End of first rounder, expires this year.
West Coast
  • third round after Collingwood's pick, expires next year.

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-19/giants-suns-to-activate-picks

So there you go. Gold Coast are guaranteed two first round picks over the next two drafts (presuming they don't trade them).

Is Nick Smith a free agent this year?

Even though I would like Frawley I would like even more to go after Nick Smith as he could be the lockdown small defender we have lacked for a long time. Consistent as hell.

Just thought I'd let it be known that the Gold Coast have three of the remaining five compensation picks that were given to clubs after they lost players to the Suns and GWS. The picks:

Gold Coast
  • first rounder after Geelong's pick, expires this year.
  • third rounder after Collingwood's pick, expires this year.
  • end of first rounder, expires next year.
GWS:
  • End of first rounder, expires this year.
West Coast
  • third round after Collingwood's pick, expires next year.

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-19/giants-suns-to-activate-picks

So there you go. Gold Coast are guaranteed two first round picks over the next two drafts (presuming they don't trade them).

Can't see the Suns using the latter picks. Most likely they be packaged and traded for higher picks or mature players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see the Suns using the latter picks. Most likely they be packaged and traded for higher picks or mature players.
They may not use them at all. They are currently required to delist four players from their senior list to meet the requirements for the 2014 Draft. This number may creep up to five if they choose to promote a rookie to the senior list which I think is inevitable.

So I think they'll opt to delist the minimum they need to (four or five) and just use the minimum amount of live picks (three) in the draft as well. Unless they are heavily involved in trading, their first three picks will be their first rounder, the first round compo after Geelong's pick and their second rounder. The third round compo is virtually useless to them at this point.

If you include Brown, 5 need to be delisted.

Campbell Brown (will officially be delisted at the end of this year)
Jackson Allen (stuck in the 2s ala Kyal Horsley)
Nathan Bock (retirement)
Tom Murphy (others will pass him)
Karmichael Hunt/Jeremy Taylor (Hunt won't improve and will leave or Taylor will never get to the AFL level)

If you include Brown, 5 need to be delisted.

Campbell Brown (will officially be delisted at the end of this year)
Jackson Allen (stuck in the 2s ala Kyal Horsley)
Nathan Bock (retirement)
Tom Murphy (others will pass him)
Karmichael Hunt/Jeremy Taylor (Hunt won't improve and will leave or Taylor will never get to the AFL level)

If not all these players, it will be either:
Broughton
Warnock
Sexton
Sumner
Hutchins
Someone whose career is destroyed by injury or wrongdoing.
Someone leaving for another club.

No particular order. Any other contenders?

No particular order. Any other contenders?
A list of the guys off contract this season and my opinion on where they stand:

Zac Smith: Safe.
Jarrod Harbrow: Safe.
Luke Russell: Safe.
Harley Bennell: Safe
Sam Day: Safe.
Tom Nicholls: Safe.
Karmichael Hunt: Safe if he wants to stay.
Steven May: Safe if he wants to stay.
David Swallow: Safe if he wants to stay.
Brandon Matera: Safe if he wants to stay.
Danny Stanley: Should be safe.
Michael Rischitelli: Should be safe.
Greg Broughton: Should be safe.

Matthew Warnock: 50/50 at this stage. Retirement a factor.
Nathan Bock: 50/50 at this stage. Retirement a factor.
Tom Murphy: 50/50 at this stage.

Tim Sumner: Probably on the edge. Needs show more if he wants to avoid the cut.
Alex Sexton: Probably on the edge. Needs show more if he wants to avoid the cut.
Jack Hutchins: Probably on the edge. Needs show more if he wants to avoid the cut.

Jeremy Taylor: Gone.
Jackson Allen: Gone.

Kyal Horsley only last two seasons at the club? Don't think being drafted two years ago make you immune from being delisted.
Bit different though. Horse being an older rookie listed player who did an ACL. Those are the picks you take punts on.

Picks in the National Draft are made with plenty of care and a heap of work done into each one. Sumner will be given plenty of time to prove himself. Look at Schade for example. I'd even say Sumner went well above what was expected of him last year.

Bit different though. Horse being an older rookie listed player who did an ACL. Those are the picks you take punts on.

Picks in the National Draft are made with plenty of care and a heap of work done into each one. Sumner will be given plenty of time to prove himself. Look at Schade for example. I'd even say Sumner went well above what was expected of him last year.
Fair call. I never said he will get delisted, I just think he might be on the edge if he doesn't have a good year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back