List Mgmt. Free agent: Geelong signs Sam Blease as a delisted free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the assertion, that he's soft?....What do you know there Vdubs, being of Eastern origin?
The reverse if anything; I was referring to his comment that he'd rather rely on a Melbourne supporter's opinion, after he'd replied to mine, if that makes sense, but i was only referring to his highlighted comment.
Soft- again that term arises.
I don't think any player is soft that makes it to an AFL team, the work to get there sorts that out.
And from my impressions, he was far from that.

The reverse if anything; I was referring to his comment that he'd rather rely on a Melbourne supporter's opinion, after he'd replied to mine, if that makes sense, but i was only referring to his highlighted comment.
I don't think any player is soft that makes it to an AFL team, the work to get there sorts that out.

I'd trust your opinion.

I'll also take Vdubs' opinion over that of a random melb fan.

Really hope Blease can make his second chance count.

Thanks, undeserved though if you recalled all my liked players who have now gone.

McStay.....Nothing wrong with him, wish we'd been able to pick him, went slightly to early for our second round.
You told me about Petracca and all that's been spot on, will be interesting what they do about Blease if anything.

Why are people afraid to use the word soft?

No doubt even the softest AFL player is 100x harder in a gym than i ever would be.

That doesnt mean they are not soft compared to the best of the best, so therefore, soft by comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're way off the mark. We've been screaming for a player who could run & take the game on. Why do you think the very ordinary Matt Jones gets a game ? Why else would we have recruited Hairy Labamba ? Blease just couldn't do it. He is quick, really quick, but only goes when he wants to. The epitomy of a downhill skier. He is an excellent kick under no pressure but a butcher under any pressure, real or implied.

To scotch another myth, Sammy is not a small forwards backside. Doesn't read the ball off packs, never gets front & square to crumb. He is an outside mid / high half forward sneaking up onto the wing.

I'll not go as far as to call him soft but he certainly doesn't put his hand up when the going gets tough. While a likeable kid it also doesn't seem to take a lot for Sam to get on very good terms with himself and I wonder if he's one of those kids for whom just being on an AFL list is enough.

The fact that he's talking about employing a running coach to work on his endurance is instructive. He has been told for years what he needs to to become a regular AFL player & to date he hasn't addressed his shortcomings. Now that he sees the paycheque disappearing he is starting to see the urgency.

I'm of the belief that Blease had the tools to be a regular AFL player - purely as an outside mid but there are plenty of blokes - Isaac Smith, Andrew Gaff - who play that role and are vital to their sides fortunes. But he's wasted it and sadly I think he's too far behind to get it back.

You can opine that he doesn't fit Roo's game style but he has struggled for game time under a number of coaches although to be fair, his first couple of years were cruelled by injury. At the end of the day, the main thing holding Blease back was himself

For all that, I hope it's not too late & he makes the most of any second chance that may come his way be it with the Cats or anyone else..... well, maybe not Collingwood or Essendon.

I do see your point, and injury is always something that you can't help but deal with, but IMO and things I've heard from past and present players at the club, last few years the 'development' aspect of young players hasn't been up to standard, especially under Neeld. Who knows what Blease could've been without the injuries and a bit more time and effort.

Daz, I am curious as to what position you think is Smedts natural or 'preferred' position? I don't think he has shown much to be honest anywhere, but seems best suited to either a forward flank or wing.

I think the way I at least have seen Billie play his best work comes where he has to just think about himself and the ball, not himself the ball and another player. I get the CS theory of being able to play multiple positions ( forward and back) but Bille just does not seem defensively inclined.

His strengths, IMO, have been his speed, agility and ability to kick goals. So far however, he tries too much and gets caught or he is so worried about making the right choice he gets caught in either two minds or is too slow with it.

Some players just need to keep as simple as possible. See ball, get ball and move it on. This probably fits him the best. For your specific question, I see him up forward at the feet of the big forwards where he can use his speed, agility and quick ball movement. He's a decent mark and kick for goal as well whilst not being brilliant. His defensive pressure I feel would best served in the F50 - the little he has ATM.

I tend to agree that he has not shown much yet but as a confidence player, he needs to get his grove back and play to his strengths. Keep it simple with him and if he could just not try to do so much and remember that everyone out there won't fall for his agile moves every time his effectiveness would increase.

A season of that could do wonders for him, either VFL or seniors, but just build on what he can do well, let him do it and once that is wring then build on that.

Go Catters

People that are not invested where they are playing might simply not try. Not professional, not perfect but it reality. Don't think that anyone here has not had an off day at work and mailed it in.

Point is, Blease may have all the tools as a line breaker and sneaky goal kicker but what's the point go showing it if its for naught. It s a shitty attitude and not one that endears him to me as a player but if the change of environment leads to a recognition that he can be more than he has been and that his time at GFC is a clean sheet and he can prove himself from day one, then for a throw away pick why not.

Id not be guaranteeing him anything other than a chance. The rest is up to him. Make the most of it and it will pay off.

Go Catters

People that are not invested where they are playing might simply not try. Not professional, not perfect but it reality. Don't think that anyone here has not had an off day at work and mailed it in.

Point is, Blease may have all the tools as a line breaker and sneaky goal kicker but what's the point go showing it if its for naught. It s a shitty attitude and not one that endears him to me as a player but if the change of environment leads to a recognition that he can be more than he has been and that his time at GFC is a clean sheet and he can prove himself from day one, then for a throw away pick why not.

I reckon there would be players like that at every single club. Would be one of the hardest aspects of player management and coaching.

Why are people afraid to use the word soft?

No doubt even the softest AFL player is 100x harder in a gym than i ever would be.

That doesnt mean they are not soft compared to the best of the best, so therefore, soft by comparison.

By that very definition how can you use the term "soft"?

i.e. Your understanding of the term soft is someone at your level. You then state he is at a different level entirely.

Same goes for others on here ... although I am sure there are some that wrestle crocodiles before breakfast most mornings before heading into town to stop a robbery in progress by telling the cops "I got this guys" and then finishing off the day with a rumble against the Hells Angels whilst sipping a cup of tea.

The definition is subjective and as such should not even be used by those that have no friggin idea of him as a person and what he does ... especially when they probably do similar to you and I in regards to their own daily routines.

The definition is subjective and as such should not even be used by those that have no friggin idea of him as a person and what he does ... especially when they probably do similar to you and I in regards to their own daily routines.

Easy definition I would say. If you don't like a player, you need something to pin on him.

The term "soft" is really good like that; it's lazy, it's applied without any inside knowledge of the club (the same background knowledge that is apparently essential for anyone to comment on the team selection for example), it's a gross oversimplification and implies cowardice.

Covers all bases. :thumbsu:

I do see your point, and injury is always something that you can't help but deal with, but IMO and things I've heard from past and present players at the club, last few years the 'development' aspect of young players hasn't been up to standard, especially under Neeld. Who knows what Blease could've been without the injuries and a bit more time and effort.

You're not wrong there. In Bailey's time we were on the bones of our arse & the footy department was vastly under-resourced. Development of some young players certainly suffered. It's a pity Blease was injured for a lot of Dean's time as I think Sammy would have enjoyed playing "Baileyball"

Neeld nearly killed the joint. He had some good ideas but his execution was catastrophic. I suspect Sam's confidence took a massive hit in that era. Along with a few others.

It appears from previous posts more likely that he is Corio-bound. Let's hope he has a decent crack & does well. Just make sure you cover him in sunscreen before you let him near the Bellarine beaches

By that very definition how can you use the term "soft"?

i.e. Your understanding of the term soft is someone at your level. You then state he is at a different level entirely.

Same goes for others on here ... although I am sure there are some that wrestle crocodiles before breakfast most mornings before heading into town to stop a robbery in progress by telling the cops "I got this guys" and then finishing off the day with a rumble against the Hells Angels whilst sipping a cup of tea.

Nah i disagree.

I will call them as i see them.

Softer than any level of hard is still soft.

But for some, mediocre is good enough, i like to think i have high expectations of anyone that pulls on the hoops however.

As the general opinion on here seems to be that Hawthorn do recruiting better than us, and that now they are interested in Blease, does that change anyones opinion on him? :D

Maybe it should , the Hawks have a very , very good batting average outside of the Draft - Dew , Guerra , Burgoyne, Gibson , Hale , Ceglar , McEvoy , Gunston and Lake ........hate to admit it but that's damn impressive :(

Nah i disagree.

I will call them as i see them.

Softer than any level of hard is still soft.

But for some, mediocre is good enough, i like to think i have high expectations of anyone that pulls on the hoops however.

Each to their own.

Softer than any level of hard depends though I guess. Is he malleable like gold (still hard)? Is he changeable like limestone (porous, ground down for fertiliser, concrete - which is quite hard)? Is he soft like water where he can fill hard gaps and can be hit hard and absorbs, is he like oil slippery and volatile.

You don't have to be "hard" to be tough, useful and worth more than ... something like a hard rock.

Mediocre is interesting. It can mean that there is more to offer and if that's what you are saying then maybe Geelong can get the most out of him where a mediocre club like Melbourne (that works - so many top draft picks - so many failures - they could have done so much better).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back