Fremantles lack of scoring power

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s been hard for them to get a consistent mix up forward this year with Taberner (their best forward) in and out of the team.

Lobb probably had his best half a season ever but he’s not a guy you want to build a forward line around (for a few reasons, the kindest probably being his own injury history).

That said, if they get both of them on the field and firing at the same time, they’ll stretch most defences, including Melbourne and Brisbane, which means #flagmantle is still a decent chance this year.
I think Freo has done well when It comes to rotating the forward structure.

You brought up Taberner and Lobb. I dont mind Taberner and Lobb Kicking a combined 66 goals between them or 3 goals a game. If one is injured, the other one is reliable to fall back on.

I love freos rotations of smaller players rotating on a forward flank: Frederick, Schulz, Switkowski and Walters.

I think Freo has done well when It comes to rotating the forward structure.

You brought up Taberner and Lobb. I dont mind Taberner and Lobb Kicking a combined 66 goals between them or 3 goals a game. If one is injured, the other one is reliable to fall back on.

I love freos rotations of smaller players rotating on a forward flank: Frederick, Schulz, Switkowski and Walters.

Yep they’ve got some good smalls rotating through there - I’d argue that not too many of those are genuine match winners - good players though….so you’d want to probably ensure the 2 pillars are in place at FF and CHF to rely on, and then whatever you get from the smalls is the cream, rather than the cake.

Yep they’ve got some good smalls rotating through there - I’d argue that not too many of those are genuine match winners - good players though….so you’d want to probably ensure the 2 pillars are in place at FF and CHF to rely on, and then whatever you get from the smalls is the cream, rather than the cake.
Well...

In a way you look at freos current side and freos 2012-5 side under Ross Lyon. Both teams main thing in common is the forward line/ structure.

Saying that. I rather have freos current forward weakness than 2012-5.

In 2012-5, Freos full forward was Matty Pavlich and CHF was a 188 cm Chris Mayne. I love Chris Mayne but at every other club, he would be a 3rd tall.

Walters and Ballantyne were proven goal scorers in 2012-5.

I like freos Kpf stocks. Lobb and Taberner fully fit is good. One is injured then throw a kid in amiss or Tracy at CHF

But you said that freos smalls are not match winners. Again.... Would you want 1 gun small forward Kicking 50-60 goals a season or 2 solid guys kicking 25-30 each?

I love freos collection of small forwards. Walters, Schultz, Switkowski and Frederick. You can have one out injured and the other 3 will still be decent. Schulz has regularly kick 3-4 goals in certain games and got us wins.

I love Walters. But at 31 or 32 years old, contracted until 2023. Hoping he helps the younger guys get a finals win this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jye Amiss did ok with his 2nd game tonight.

Josh Traecy fully fit can kick 2-3 goals a week at 194cm.

Logue needs to improve up forward

You mean the unsigned Griffin Logue who is more of an athlete than a football player. This is easily his best year but still it's doubtful he becomes anything more than a serviceable player, still most likely in defence.

Josh Treacy the guy who has the athleticism of a bus and averages 1.4 goals a game in the WAFL. Outside of a 3 game burst earlier in the season in the WAFL he has shown almost nothing.

Amiss will likely lead your future forward line but can't be relied upon to lead it for a few years yet. Sure in 3 years time he will likely be averaging 2+ goals a game at AFL level

Jye amiss reminded me a bit of Jack Riewoldt last night. Very smart player and leads beautifully to the ball.
A very novel concept in a Fremantle forward line - exciting times!

You mean the same Jye Amiss that I repeatedly said was the most similar player to a young Jack Riewoldt that i'd seen in that he is a genuine leading FF all throughout his draft year. Go check my posts if you like.

The dockers have a great defence, great speed on the outside, some great youth in the middle and your more second tier players all having career best seasons.

With Taberner's entire career being injury riddled and the likely loss of Lobb the clubs weakness is in the forward line. If only you had of drafted Ben King instead of trading for Hogan it would likely be a completely different story.

Your club would be much better off putting the potential resources that are likely to be thrown at Luke Jackson into trading in another genuine small forward and another genuine Key forward target who is consistent and can kick straight.

Now Freo have come a long way and they are a wonderful, exciting team to watch with great strengths in the ruck, defence, a great young midfield and some great speed on the outside however they are still missing a couple of ready to go forward pieces if you want to win a premiership in the next couple of years.

I wish the club all the best and it is certainly a much better run organisation with an immensely better list than West Coast at the moment and likely will be for years to come. However that doesn't mean there isn't a key weakness in the side in your forward line, particularly in the next couple of years. In a lot of ways losing Lobb at the end of this year may be a blessing for you as he has been inconsistent as s**t until having a great year this year for your club so you will get maximum trade value if he wants out. Likely even a mid to late first rounder.

It might leave you with a first rounder to trade for a ready to go Forward even after trading in Jackson, however I will warn you now. Jackson whilst he is an exceptional and i mean exceptional young talent is not a forward. Even as a resting ruck he's not even a decent forward. He doesn't time leads well, gets led under the ball very easily, isn't great at using his body in that area and even if that area of his game develops it will likely take years.

If Freo play all their cards right and can sort out one to two pieces of their forward line they can potentially win a flag in the next 2 seasons however I would expect if they don't go for it straight away you will need to wait 3-4 years until Amiss is ready to lead your forward line but he is going to need to be surrounded by some other class up there as well.

Next year I would also expect teams to be putting a lot more time into players like Clark, Frederick and Aish to slow down that fast transition, run and kicking from defence that has served your club so well this year.

If Tim Kelly said he wanted to go to Freo, we'd likely be exactly where West Coast are.
There is no guarantee that King would've stayed at Freo either. Hogan was a bust, but worth it at the time, sort of.
I still have hope for Treacy, and there is no guarantee Lobb goes anywhere, he's got 1 year to go

If Tim Kelly said he wanted to go to Freo, we'd likely be exactly where West Coast are.
There is no guarantee that King would've stayed at Freo either. Hogan was a bust, but worth it at the time, sort of.
I still have hope for Treacy, and there is no guarantee Lobb goes anywhere, he's got 1 year to go

West Coast at the moment are infinitely s**t with the worst list I have ever seen the club have with almost no key talent between the ages of 22-28. So s**t in fact that since the Bye last year the club has 6 less premiership points than North. The club has to keep on the older players due to there being no midfield talent to replace them. West Coast are so far off the pace in so many areas they aren't even worth bringing into the discussion.

Also I don't think Treacy is a bust and he is coming from the rookie list but to the poster here suggesting he is going to average 2 goals a game at AFL level right away (or likely ever) they are dreaming. If he continues his development he may be a serviceable player, same for sturt but neither are going to lead your forward line or be your saviour in the next couple of years if ever.

I also don't think Hogan was ever worth the trade at the time. It was well known already that he had off field issues even before freo traded for him. Whether it's because he's out of the spotlight of a footy mad AFL state or not it looks like he's got his s**t together and will be a decent player for GWS, however not the generational forward I thought he'd be when I was watching him as a 15/16 year old junior. Just on King he's stayed at the GC so far and your club has a much better retention rate than they do so I would suggest it likely he would have stayed. However that's all the past and crystal ball 20/20 hindsight bullshit.

It's also no certainty that Lobb does go, however he asked for a trade last year and outside of this year he's been pretty average. It may not be the worst thing for the club you support to let him go at his peak trade value.

I'm actually trying to be supportive of your club and what it needs. Look at it from a neutral perspective, your clubs strengths and weaknesses on the field. The clear weakness is the forward line as the rest of the side likes to be in great nick for years to come. You are also now looking at a top 6 fixture next year with likely only getting 1 bottom 4 team in your double ups in West Coast who I expect you may see your biggest wins against as we are a rabble.

A really good crumbing forward and a Key Forward who is consistent and can play deep I am certain would be much more beneficial to your club than Jackson. If I put my West Coast Eagles supporter glasses on I hope you do trade for Jackson as I certainly don't want him coming to west coast on a huge contract over a super long period particularly with the required trade capital involved.

If you look at the long game there are some really, really good ruck and tall forward options in next years draft and if you manage to hold a first rounder next year you will likely be able to pick up one better than any in this draft pool. (If only Cadman could kick, * I really hope West Coast don't draft him)

As for me I will be retiring to manage my investment interests in SE Asia next year so won't be watching lots of AFL games next year or have any role either part or full time in scouting talent in the future.

I wish the dockers the best of luck and as much as it hates me to say it, I would certainly prefer your club winning a premiership over pretty much anyone else in the next couple of years. If you do congratulations and I won't have to deal with being a grumpy old west coast supporter based in WA. I just wish you could have won one before my uncle died from cancer as he was as diehard a freo supporter as i've met and truly loved the club.

Don't doubt it mate, but if the mids and wings start kicking goals it takes pressure off your forwards.
I think Lobb & Amiss is a very good Tall 2, with smalls running around.
We've done 2 talls this year on occasion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back