Prediction Future midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

The top line future midfield looks to be A grade, but players like Mahoney will be pushing for midfield time in future years. Looks to be a smart footballer

Agree, I think we may already have the midfield "extras" present (Thomas/Mahony/Lazzaro).

Of course, if a midfielder is the best player at our pick this year, we take him.

Despite being eligible for last year’s draft, Heath is still doing year 12 this year. Would be interesting to see how he and the club choose to handle that if they pick him. He may well be prepared to chuck in school.
An interesting conundrum.

Despite being eligible for last year’s draft, Heath is still doing year 12 this year. Would be interesting to see how he and the club choose to handle that if they pick him. He may well be prepared to chuck in school.
Strange I would’ve thought most clubs stand will be, we’ll recruit on the proviso you finish.

Please don’t tell the pies this
Grundy was copping it on Friday
I think Grundy will be the last of the million dollar ruckmen, and with the benefit of hindsight they might already be regretting it. The pure art of rucking has long gone tend to find their influence (and Im generalising) is overrated. I wouldn't be blowing a first round draft pick on a ruckmen and would be disappointed if we did. Get someone who is mobile and can compete. On topic I agree we are building something pretty special in our midfield with a nice mix of grunt skill and pace. Powell will be the jewel in the crown and will IMO overtake Jy within 24 months as our best mid.

Strange I would’ve thought most clubs stand will be, we’ll recruit on the proviso you finish.
Yeah you'd expect so. I was totally guessing. But given that he nominated for last year's draft I imagine he would have been prepared to move straight into the system. The way clubs are these days there would surely be no problem with him staying at school and you're not picking him to play this year anyway.

Yeah you'd expect so. I was totally guessing. But given that he nominated for last year's draft I imagine he would have been prepared to move straight into the system. The way clubs are these days there would surely be no problem with him staying at school and you're not picking him to play this year anyway.
I had a quick check he’s a Xavier boy, if he gets drafted, they’ll work around him. Even if it means outside tutorage.

All we need is a ruckman & some backup mids.

C: Stephenson (22), Davies Uniake (21), Scott (20)

R: ????????, Simpkin (23), Phillips (18), Powell (19)

2nd ruck: Xerri (22)

There are only two followers other than the ruckman.

I think the way we have been recruiting and managing the list, I think we are going to be looking at the two half-forward flanks as kind of extensions of the midfield with players like Thomas and Scott playing that transition between half-forward and midfield roles.

The core midfield role is likely to be Phillips, LDU and Simpkin, that is the two followers and the centre. Stephenson on one wing, who can go forward and alternate with the half-forwards and if we win the spoon then current #1 fancy is someone like Horne who could play on the other wing.

I see Powell as direct competition for a core midfield role, he has the talent to displace one of our core mids down the track. I think after getting someone like Horne, the rest of the midfield depth would be either young kids coming into the system or second tier mids like Lazzaro and Will Walker types. If you get too many A grade mid talent and there is nowhere to play them then they will either stagnate or leave.

The ruck is a glaring problem. It is going to be hard to manage while Goldy is playing, because we don't play with a second ruckman.

I think Grundy will be the last of the million dollar ruckmen, and with the benefit of hindsight they might already be regretting it. The pure art of rucking has long gone tend to find their influence (and Im generalising) is overrated. I wouldn't be blowing a first round draft pick on a ruckmen and would be disappointed if we did. Get someone who is mobile and can compete. On topic I agree we are building something pretty special in our midfield with a nice mix of grunt skill and pace. Powell will be the jewel in the crown and will IMO overtake Jy within 24 months as our best mid.

When does the character assassination start?

Gone are the days of having to pay your ruckman millions to stay or to be a successful team.
Happy to go the richmond route and pickup someone serviceable looking for an opportunity, just need to get the right person or develop one ourselves.
You over pay for the top echelon of rucks
currently they would be
gawn grundy goldy nicnat and obrien.
Any of these rucks will kick ass over anyone else not in that group.
The goal should be to aim for the 6th best ruck spot. Which someone like Nankervis is close to.
you win the ruck vs 10 other teams
And you get away with 400k salary over 800k+ for the top group.
Thats how i would do it anyways.

If that starting on-ball group (including the wingers) reaches their potential a serviceable ruckman will more than suffice and that can be picked up via trade. Get the blokes who win the ball and use it first, worry about the ruckman last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gone are the days of having to pay your ruckman millions to stay or to be a successful team.
Happy to go the richmond route and pickup someone serviceable looking for an opportunity, just need to get the right person or develop one ourselves.
If Xerri can model his game on Steph Martin/The Nank he's down the right path for his attributes perhaps?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
These days the midfield is the wingers, flankers and a anyone who can run - you're looking at around 12-15 blokes to play each week. Not just the players around the ball

Love Goldie but it isn't an area of the ground I am worried about replacing. Draft blokes 3rd round or later and/or shop around.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. It's pretty easy to find serviceable rucks out there for next to nothing.

Have a look at how well Hickey played for the swans on the weekend.

The only thing we’re missing is someone who can go with the big bulls, at least to halve the contest.
Is kyron capable of matching Fyfe/Dangerfield/Cripps?

Love Goldie but it isn't an area of the ground I am worried about replacing. Draft blokes 3rd round or later and/or shop around.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I expect goldy to play to 36-37 years of age.
hes been crazy durable over his career.

It'll be a hell of a midfield when we add Horne/Sinn and Josh Kelly at the end of the year.

Cunners, Kelly, LDU, Simpkin, Phillips, Powell, Anderson, Polec, Stephenson, Horne/Sinn and Scott with Mahoney, Lazzaro and Thomas running through. s**t, you could have one of these guys as ruck and still kick arse.

B: Bonar - Tarrant - Corr
HB: McDonald - McKay - Ziebell
C: Polec - LDU - Stephenson
HF: Kelly - Inanimate Rod - Mahoney
F: Anderson - Larkey - Zurhaar
R: Goldy - Cunners - Simpkin
Int: Phillips - Powell - Lazzaro - Kelly

It'll be a hell of a midfield when we add Horne/Sinn and Josh Kelly at the end of the year.

Cunners, Kelly, LDU, Simpkin, Phillips, Powell, Anderson, Polec, Stephenson, Horne/Sinn and Scott with Mahoney, Lazzaro and Thomas running through. sh*t, you could have one of these guys as ruck and still kick arse.

B: Bonar - Tarrant - Corr
HB: McDonald - McKay - Ziebell
C: Polec - LDU - Stephenson
HF: Kelly - Inanimate Rod - Mahoney
F: Anderson - Larkey - Zurhaar
R: Goldy - Cunners - Simpkin
Int: Phillips - Powell - Lazzaro - Kelly

we dont need kelly.
he cant play a full season. we need less of that not more.
+ even as a free agent. GWS would force a trade similar to cameron.
3 first round picks?
jesus no thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back