"The Warchest" - NMFC's young midfield corps (thread for discussing them as a group)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Warchest!

Harry Sheezel
George Wardlaw
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Will Phillips

Discussing these blokes in their individual player threads is fine, but it's time we have a thread for discussing them as a group, because the excitement levels are through the roof with this young crop of talented midfielders.

It's so incredibly exciting to be able to see the potential of these young kids, who collectively have only played a small handful of games between them. But such is their talent and maturity we have gone into crucial crunch-time situations with these blokes as our engine-room at centre-bounces, and it is working!

The list still has issues at other areas, but the future of our midfield is rock solid and it's fantastic.

full

The Warchest!

Harry Sheezel
George Wardlaw
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Will Phillips

Discussing these blokes in their individual player threads is fine, but it's time we have a thread for discussing them as a group, because the excitement levels are through the roof with this young crop of talented midfielders.

It's so incredibly exciting to be able to see the potential of these young kids, who collectively have only played a small handful of games between them. But such is their talent and maturity we have gone into crucial crunch-time situations with these blokes as our engine-room at centre-bounces, and it is working!

The list still has issues at other areas, but the future of our midfield is rock solid and it's fantastic.

full

The midfield group is deeper than those four. Simpkin, sometimes Thomas, Stevo, Zurhaar, and do wingers count?

I'm old enough to remember when we were getting excited about the future of the 'meatgrinder' midfield featuring Ziebell, Greenwood, Cunnington, Swallow etc.

Without trying to be too much of a wet blanket (partly because I do think this time is different), we've been disappointed before.

It is not just going to happen because we have a few talented players.

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remember when we were getting excited about the future of the 'meatgrinder' midfield featuring Ziebell, Greenwood, Cunnington, Swallow etc.

Without trying to be too much of a wet blanket (partly because I do think this time is different) but we've been disappointed before.

Ha! Just what I was thinking as well. The footy gods don't like hubris.

Without trying to be too much of a wet blanket (partly because I do think this time is different) but we've been disappointed before.

On the flip side, it won't happen without the talent. And it's an early call but this group seems to be that much more talented than the "meatgrinder" (as it should be with pick #3, #3, #4, #4).

The midfield group is deeper than those four. Simpkin, sometimes Thomas, Stevo, Zurhaar, and do wingers count?

Oh, without doubt!

But Simpkin is 26, Zurhaar is 25, etc etc. Still 'young', and still exciting.

But "The Warchest" is the really, really young kids.

Brayden George might be a future member, too!

On the flip side, it won't happen without the talent. And it's an early call but this group seems to be that much more talented than the "meatgrinder" (as it should be with pick #2, #3, #3, #4).

100%

This time around we have speed, skill and smarts.

The challenge is going to be ensuring the mix is complementary.

The Warchest!

Harry Sheezel
George Wardlaw
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Will Phillips

full

Quoting your own tweets. That's Tef level of vainness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Warchest!

Harry Sheezel
George Wardlaw
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Will Phillips

full

Watch TT's back end of 2021, he deserves to be in there.

Without trying to be too much of a wet blanket (partly because I do think this time is different), we've been disappointed before.

+1.

This is kiss of death s**t.

No one has mentioned Powell either.

These posts are example of why I'm still of the opinion he might be an expendable option for the next fancied Victorian kid returning from SA. I.e Bergman.
Powell showed a bit yesterday as much as he has his detractors.

We won’t always have a full bill of health and our midfield doesn’t bat as deep as we think.

Not expendable in my eyes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back