Autopsy GWS d NMFC 121 - 82.

Remove this Banner Ad

ORIGINAL POST BY Chadwiko -

Was feeling pretty okay about that game until Goater's achilles. Sigh.

Positives
  • Northball works. We just need to clean up our disposal. But the gameplan is clear to see and will succeed.
  • Xerri did well in the ruck and seemed to run the game out well. Great sign.
  • Big improvements (compared to 2023) from guys like Jaidyn Stephenson, Kal Dawson, and Josh Goater :(
  • Our best midfielders had reasonably quiet games (LDU, Wardlaw, etc) and our midfield still wasn't blown apart by GWS. Good sign.
  • We made the most of some of our opportunities moving forward.
  • Young guys Duursma and Colby look legit.
  • Sheezel is going to go back-to-back in the Syd Barker.
  • We looked fit and ran out the 4 quarters well.
Negatives
  • Goater achilles is a bloody gutpunch. So hard to feel anything positive about the game because of that. He was playing fantastically and offered a real upgrade over McDonald in that crucial small/medium defender role. Devastating
  • The defense was under siege and held up okay at times. All three of Dawson, Pink and Corr struggled at times and that's generally okay in their first AFL game together, but gee Corr made some absolute howlers at times. He's part of the leadership group. Should know better.
  • Lazzaro really looks pretty far from AFL level.
  • Powell, Fisher, Lazzaro, Stephens all butchered the ball too many times and really killed some good passages of play.
  • We badly need a true CHF and CHB who can clunk a contested mark.
  • Shiels offered next to nothing as a sub. Dumb decision from the selection panel.

Last edited:

Had a really nice buzz going until the Goater injury. Shattering for everyone.

Xerri was great, Dawson the best of the backs, we ran out the game well enough and the scoreline was alright. Interesting to see how justified I am for feeling that way when we have the actual vs expected scores courtesy of Rick18.

Really hope Corr was severely underdone then hampered by the brow injury, because he was fairly putrid today (and I don't often use that word outside the emotional game day thread). Tucker was anonymous as hell, Laz was (sadly) Laz, CCJ was (sadly and expectedly) CCJ, and Fisher had too many turnovers by half.

Giants are a good team, and they're particularly effective against a gameplan like ours. Other than the Goater injury, this wasn't too bad for a team undergoing as many changes as ours.

I mentioned it during the saints pre season game. Just cannot line up with that many small, unaccountable, attack minded defenders.

Fisher isn’t a defender, Sheezel isn’t a defender, Scott isn’t a defender & McKercher isn’t a defender. Should the result being opened up so often be a surprise?. I get LMac is underdone etc. but jeez our stocks back there leave a lot to be desired.

Goater was a big positive, again after a really good pre season. Unfortunately that’s him done for the year. All the best Billy.

Larkey cooked by an unbelievable Sam Taylor, but still needs to be a lot more physical. Smalls need to be applying heat a lot more too. Also needs a competent number 2, please just stick Comben at CHF. Dawson can cover down back till Logue is ready. Don’t want to see CCJ getting games.

For as good as we looked at stages with ball in hand, if we are going to concede 120 marks a game we won’t be winning as often as we hoped. Way too unaccountable and I hope that doesn’t get glossed over, it’s not good enough.

Not as positive about today as others, there were glimpses but we’ve dealt in glimpses for 5-6 years. Need more.

Xerri was a warrior all day and was arguably our best
K.Dawson was super impressive down back
Colby looked to be aggressive with his kicking off half back
Zane is outstanding in the air and is all class
Sheez is still a freak
Wardlaw will be better for the run

Negatives

Goater's injury which is most likely season ending is devastating
Our mids got caught out too many times on defensive transition
Lazzaro still does not look up to AFL standard
CCJ is too limited as a footballer and we looked much better when he was subbed out

It was the worst of games, it was the okayest of games.

Showed some real signs. In the past, against such an impressive outfit as GWS, the cue would have been racked and that blows out to 50-70.

BGZ and Kerch look real deal and fit nicely.

Some of our defensive efforts were poor in the midfield. We know with the type of plan that Northball is that it will rebound quick. So prepare.

Dawson looked great, Pink had his moments good and bad, but Corr really lowered his colours. It was his time to show hes the general down there.

I really hope Fisher is shown every single turnover, on repeat, strapped into a chair. So it sinks in. Hes going to get the ball the most he ever has. So use it well ffs.

Was feeling pretty okay about that game until Goater's achilles. Sigh.

Positives
  • Northball works. We just need to clean up our disposal. But the gameplan is clear to see and will succeed.
  • Xerri did well in the ruck and seemed to run the game out well. Great sign.
  • Big improvements (compared to 2023) from guys like Jaidyn Stephenson, Kal Dawson, and Josh Goater :(
  • Our best midfielders had reasonably quiet games (LDU, Wardlaw, etc) and our midfield still wasn't blown apart by GWS. Good sign.
  • We made the most of some of our opportunities moving forward.
  • Young guys Duursma and Colby look legit.
  • Sheezel is going to go back-to-back in the Syd Barker.
  • We looked fit and ran out the 4 quarters well.
Negatives
  • Goater achilles is a bloody gutpunch. So hard to feel anything positive about the game because of that. He was playing fantastically and offered a real upgrade over McDonald in that crucial small/medium defender role. Devastating
  • The defense was under siege and held up okay at times. All three of Dawson, Pink and Corr struggled at times and that's generally okay in their first AFL game together, but gee Corr made some absolute howlers at times. He's part of the leadership group. Should know better.
  • Lazzaro really looks pretty far from AFL level.
  • Powell, Fisher, Lazzaro, Stephens all butchered the ball too many times and really killed some good passages of play.
  • We badly need a true CHF and CHB who can clunk a contested mark.
  • Shiels offered next to nothing as a sub. Dumb decision from the selection panel.

Goater was an absolute gut punch….shattered .
As always a fair game review…👏 Thanks.
.l liked that there were many glimpses of the game style and that we kept presenting…could have been so easy to fold it all in…..we never saw that in the past …..
Was surprised but backing in the CCJ dragging….would not have happened under previous regime’s.
Plenty to build upon …get the feeling there would be note taking of which players checked out durning the game for review at years end….the free rides are over…

A lot to like, a lot to work on and a lot to hate.

Because it’s Round 1 let’s just discuss the good.

• Went against the best team in the comp and didn’t stop working. The North of the last few years loses that by close to 100.
  • Big X. Great game!
  • Northball is more attractive than the turgid s**t of previous years.
  • McKercher and Duursma look quality.
  • Kallan Dawson. Looks the goods.
  • Another opportunity for a young group to learn.

Let’s hope they get some reward against the Dockers next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS look unbelievable and we did well to not let them flog us by 10+. Should have also kicked more than we did with some bad wasted opportunities.

Forward line looks a bit shaky, Larkey needs to find other ways to impact the game when he's getting beaten and we need to find him a proper partner whether it's Comben or Sellers, because it definitely isn't CCJ. Ford, Duursma and Curtis all good.

Mids got badly beaten by a much better outfit, all need to work on staying with their opponents and applying pressure for 4 quarters, we looked good when the pressure was there and absolutely terrible when it let up, that's going to be less of a problem against other side than it was against GWS, but it needs to be a focus nonetheless. Zurhaar was really good when we threw him in there and we'll probably see a lot more of that this year. I thought we were ready to put Simpkin in another role but we missed him in there, badly. Wardlaw looked really good, LDU good but needed to pressure more, Powell ok, Lazarro not so good.

The flanker/wingman types all looked good to me. Scott has quickly become one of our best players with his running game, Stephens is going to be good for us this year and Tucker was serviceable if a little bit quiet.

X looks like a premier ruckman, still need to see him perform against an English type before I'll be totally convinced but very good so far. CCJ was absolutely shithouse and should never play another game for us. Bring in Greenwood as the second ruck.

Backline I thought did very well considering the circumstances. Sheezel is just incredible, McKercher looked a little bit lost in some contested situations but played well overall, Fisher similar. Pink and Dawson already look like a solid KPD partnership, Dawson was outstanding. Corr was really poor and he's probably underdone but did a lot of stupid s**t that can't be explained by fitness. Goater really hurts, not just because of our emotional investment in him as a player, but also because he looked great before his injury and I'm not sure who we have to replace him in that role. Probably McDonald who I will pray recaptures some not-shithouse form.

I thought today was amazing and it's not a matter of if but when we have a top 4 midfield. There was a level of endeavour and skills on display that does make you feel we are turning the corner.

With that out of the way, on paper and on field as seen today we are not going to stop a strong forward line. It feels like there's a good chance we're headed for a frustrating, nonsensical year where we are lead in stoppages, possessions, effective disposals you name it and walk off defeated. The young fellas are going to have to keep their heads up this year and keep the faith their efforts will be rewarded when we have fixed this glaring issue.

Fn gutted about Goater.

A lot to like, a lot to work on and a lot to hate.

Because it’s Round 1 let’s just discuss the good.

• Went against the best team in the comp and didn’t stop working. The North of the last few years loses that by close to 100.
  • Big X. Great game!
  • Northball is more attractive than the turgid s**t of previous years.
  • McKercher and Duursma look quality.
  • Kallan Dawson. Looks the goods.
  • Another opportunity for a young group to learn.

Let’s hope they get some reward against the Dockers next week.
100% this…….previous years ld be tearing out my hair….but the fact we can see some positives. More than usual….
For round one..I’ll take that and see if we can build upon during the year….
I’m genuinely excited about next game….and it’s been a while since that has happened….after a loss.

First the debutants. BGZ and Mckercher were great! Fisher and Stephens were a bit s**t hey. Pink, somewhere in the middle?

Big X was huge, loved his game, hopefully he can get some continuity and build on that.

CCJ and Laz, I was willing to give them a chance. They've had that, stunk it up and now should live out their days in the VFL.

Goaters injury :( That stings so much

A lot of nearly there moments today, brain fades are obviously still a thing and skills are a bit off but I was not upset by our overall performance today.

At one point, we were going toe to toe with one of the in form teams in the comp. You take that every day of the week as the youngest and least experienced side.

Feel shattered for Goater.
Absolutely….couple of years thats us ….fingers crossed…

Out:Lazaro, well unfortunately Goater,Corr Curtis..
Ins :Harvey Comben Bigi George.

Looking back on the game it was the period right at the start of the 3rd where we lost it. Started with the absolute bullshit hand-off goal that should've been pulled back, and we just lost confidence and dropped the heads after that. It was always going to break open at some point but that was really the only time we let them score freely. This side would've done us by 100 last year and 150 two years ago.

Xerri probably had a good game to his standards but jeez I still don’t feel confident in his passages of plays. It’s like he can’t work through or see what’s unfolding ahead, rather only what’s in arms reach of him. Was it Stephenson who told him to kick rather than hand pass after he scored a goal?

The ford * up was massive a momentum killer but that’s ok.

Like I said in the pre-game, I felt more concerned about our midfield. LDU needs someone else to go into the centre while he does all his nice stuff after it’s been won. Whether it’s Jy (who I thought would probably be pushed out this year) or a Phillips who isn’t afraid to get in or even Greenwood - we might be better placed having Wardlaw and Sheezel in there

overall ... not bad. definitely not great. but not bad. there were definitely patches today that were a massive improvement on last year and you can see what it will look like when we're a good side. We desperately need a couple of key defenders to establish themselves. It was the big fear coming into the year and the concerns were justified today. Dawson that only winner out of the 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back