Opinion NMFC Board Cricket Thread III - Shield Final WA v Tas

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct, unlike CCS's post suggests I dont equate the Kiwi's response as salty tears of a losing team but the language used is very much a cop out and designed to deflect a poor showing.
To a certain extent it's like saying that we should only be concerned with the things we can control and language like that has been around in sporting organisations for generations now. The English team (or their media throng and Morgan etc.) added that they would certainly have won if Australia hadn't cheated and if Australia had abided by some so-called spirit of the game conventions.

But in the spirit argument, England well and truly know that Australia has taken a ruthless approach to cricket since at least the 1970s and England themselves have done exactly the same in response. In response to cheating, well, sticky mint induced reverse swing may have affected the outcome of a test match or two back in the day, as have bottle tops and dirt (although I also believe that zinc cream and sunscreen might have similar impact). I reckon that the balls from the 1980s would still reek of coconut reef tan.

But Bazball as a tactic is something that has existed for a long time and it certainly isn't exclusive to England under McCallum. The West Indies teams of the 80s under Lloyd and Richards were ruthless, but even more dominant because there were enough batters in the teams with the skills to pull it off match after match.

The real defining element of England's Bazball era is that they crow like they are the greatest ever when they won, and they crow like they won even when they lose, with claims like they should have won anyway.

I don't get the criticism of the NZ team. They have a population 1/5 of Australia and generally have and do perform really well on the world stage for decades now consistently taking it up to the best teams. Current team has exciting talent in Ravindra, Henry and Sears. Williamson is world class. And as a previous poster has said, their sportsmanship can’t be faulted either.

I don't get the criticism of the NZ team. They have a population 1/5 of Australia and generally have and do perform really well on the world stage for decades now consistently taking it up to the best teams. Current team has exciting talent in Ravindra, Henry and Sears. Williamson is world class. And as a previous poster has said, their sportsmanship can’t be faulted either.
Australia's population is much smaller than India, Pakistan, England's etc. Imagine if we hadn't beaten England in Australia for 31 years. NZ are nice guy losers everyone loves making excuses for.

Australia's population is much smaller than India, Pakistan, England's etc. Imagine if we hadn't beaten England in Australia for 31 years. NZ are nice guy losers everyone loves making excuses for.
Yeah well I think that says more about England really! They are massive underachievers

Right, might actually get the chance of seeing the shield final now
The last Sheffield Shield final I went to - actually, the only one - was when our primary school's first XI was allowed to go to the WACA in 1988. How's this for peak 80s Australian cricket line-ups:

Geoff Marsh
Mike Veletta
Jamie Brayshaw
Graeme Wood
Kim Hughes
Wayne Andrews
Ken MacLeay
Tim Zoehrer
Terry Alderman
Alan Mulally
(12th: Tom Moody)

vs

Robbie Kerr
Trevor Barsby
Greg Ritchie
Allan Border
Glenn Trimble
Ian Botham
Dirk Tazelaar
Trevor Hohns
Ian Healy
Craig McDermott
Carl Rackemann
(12th: John Maguire)

Even the umpires were peak 80s: Tony Crafter and Peter McConnell

The last Sheffield Shield final I went to - actually, the only one - was when our primary school's first XI was allowed to go to the WACA in 1988. How's this for peak 80s Australian cricket line-ups:

Geoff Marsh
Mike Veletta
Jamie Brayshaw
Graeme Wood
Kim Hughes
Wayne Andrews
Ken MacLeay
Tim Zoehrer
Terry Alderman
Alan Mulally

vs

Robbie Kerr
Trevor Barsby
Greg Ritchie
Allan Border
Glenn Trimble
Ian Botham
Dirk Tazelaar
Trevor Hohns
Ian Healy
Craig McDermott
Carl Rackemann

Beats the lineup of the last one I saw:

<insert names here>

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geoff Marsh
Mike Veletta
Jamie Brayshaw
Graeme Wood
Kim Hughes
Wayne Andrews
Ken MacLeay
Tim Zoehrer
Terry Alderman
Alan Mulally

vs

Robbie Kerr
Trevor Barsby
Greg Ritchie
Allan Border
Glenn Trimble
Ian Botham
Dirk Tazelaar
Trevor Hohns
Ian Healy
Craig McDermott
Carl Rackemann

My wicket keeper uncle still gets worked up about Zoehrer vs Healy.

My wicket keeper uncle still gets worked up about Zoehrer vs Healy.
season 6 GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back