Autopsy GWS d NMFC 121 - 82.

Remove this Banner Ad

Double **** Ben Buckley.

Terrible football president and should've done everything to get his son on our Cat B list.

The one time this club decides to sidestep nepotism ffs.
Don't stop there. We should have gone harder for Kelly. Gut running mid/winger with silky skills who kicks goals

Kicks into Forward 50 and their result (NMFC vs GWS, R1).

It seems that we weren't able to penetrate the half forward line as well and weren't able to get the ball as deep.

1710653685215.png

I swear, look at the game, look at the broken tackles. GWS midfield just shook us off easily, we are not physically intimidating nor strong enough IMO

We dont need to be bodybuilders, but broken tackles, Getting shifted off the ball, the brutal strength of gws legit destroyed us in and out the contest

The way GWS ran through the middle was so so poor. As I've read on here we need a few Wardlaws and yes we do, we have the run now.

We’re just young.

I had my 21st yesterday but only got to see glimpses

I keep reading our fwd pressure is still an area to work on, all I keep thinking when I read it is comben.

I reckon just get him in we desperate need his mongrel and attack in the f50
Happy bday!

Surprised there wasn’t a guard of honour from the players. Maybe if the game was in Melbourne.

Don’t think it’s Phillips and Powell tbh. Powell has more strings.

It’s Phillips and Wardlaw/LDU. Pure mids that can’t play anywhere else. Difficult to carry if they’re not elite.

Although not playing a second ruck nor the three talls up front should allow that luxury

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I swear, look at the game, look at the broken tackles. GWS midfield just shook us off easily, we are not physically intimidating nor strong enough IMO

We dont need to be bodybuilders, but broken tackles, Getting shifted off the ball, the brutal strength of gws legit destroyed us in and out the contest

The way GWS ran through the middle was so so poor. As I've read on here we need a few Wardlaws and yes we do, we have the run now.
Mate, no s**t. We had 4 players over 100 games and were around 2 years younger on average. Honestly what did you expect?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then why don’t they ever play in the middle together?
Well, personally I don’t think Will is up to the level yet. Powell only recently is. I said in another thread, but Will needs to become elite as a mid or add another string to his game. I’m hopeful both happen, but IMO that is why he’s not getting a game. Powell is not only currently better as a midfielder, he has flexibility to play in other areas.

I was asked pregame what I see as a “win”. I said 5 goal loss. We ended up with a 6 goal loss.

Really difficult to gauge. They are white hot. They deserve all the hype they are getting. They do not have a weakness. Worth watching Kingsleys presser if you’re feeling negative, he was very complimentary and said we beat them in a few key areas which he wasn’t thrilled about.

There were a lot of positives:
  • Most pleasing thing for me is that we kept scoring. People (Kane) may criticise North Ball, however I am stoked we are playing a system that allows us to score even against the best defense in the game. This just isn’t something we’ve been able to do previously.
  • Xerri was sensational, I’m totally converted, Briggs is a competitive beast and he spanked him.
  • Sheezel has gone to another level.
  • LDU and Powell were both good.
  • Thought our forwards looked really lively and took their opportunities when they got them which kept us in the game. Stephenson, BGZ, Souv, Ford, PC, Bull.
  • Mckercher looked excellent and if not for Dempsey would likely have a RS Nom.
  • BGZ deserves his own mention, I’m so excited what he can become with some size. He was compared to Fyfe during the call and not surprising to see why.
  • Thought Wardlaw (with Xerri) were by far our best tacklers/pressurers. You just know they’re gonna do everything possible to disrupt the ball carrier and win a 1 on 1.

Negatives:
  • The Goater injury, just gutting, hopefully Bergman gets more opportunity.
  • Shiels (who I’ve been a defender of) had the most putrid involvements when he came on. Gets one more chance, but we cannot allow our senior players to fumble like that. It’s soul shattering undoing the young boys hard work.
  • Wasn’t wrapt with our recruits Stephens and Fishers games. Confident they’ll bounce back.

In summary, we play like that all year and keep a clean bill of health we will win more then 6 games.

Just a observation, settle down haha

We’ve been like this for ages btw.

Happy to see we have a coach that takes training and the gym seriously for once though
We have been like this for ages as a club, but certainly not this group of players. I'm all for wanting improvement but it has to be realistic.

I keep reading our fwd pressure is still an area to work on, all I keep thinking when I read it is comben.

Happy birthday for yesterday Ligs, 21 is a big day for you, hope you had a sensational day and on Charlie, well he's being trained as a backman but your pretty much spot on about his attack on the footy, I feel our coaches are just making sure when he comes into the team that he's ready, blind freddy can see whether up forward or down back his ferocity and attack on the footy are much needed!

Well, personally I don’t think Will is up to the level yet. Powell only recently is. I said in another thread, but Will needs to become elite as a mid or add another string to his game. I’m hopeful both happen, but IMO that is why he’s not getting a game. Powell is not only currently better as a midfielder, he has flexibility to play in other areas.

Fair enough

Happy birthday for yesterday Ligs, 21 is a big day for you, hope you had a sensational day and on Charlie, well he's being trained as a backman but your pretty much spot on about his attack on the footy, I feel our coaches are just making sure when he comes into the team that he's ready, blind freddy can see whether up forward or down back his ferocity and attack on the footy are much needed!
I know that💀

But him not being there is the reason plodders like ccj are still running around doing SFA.

I would play him up forward til the middle of the season or when we have some sort of an idea on which teams are a bit easier and slot him back there for a few mins a qtr or so.

I know we aren’t in the window of contending but it’s just so annoying knowing the potential he has and him not playing.

Happy birthday!

I only just got round to sitting down and watching the replay, and I have to say I thought it was a very positive performance.

It was an interesting game in that both sides tried to play very similar styles. They cut us up through the midfield transition, often pretty easily, but I don’t think it was from a lack of commitment from us. We just got our positioning a bit wrong; we got sucked too deep into our forward half and that gave them all the space they needed. Which is * all by the way.

The positive is that we often did it to them. Sheez, Colby, Bull (when in midfield) and Scott (who I thought was excellent) in particular were able to open them up with angles and quality disposal.

I have to say after watching the game I do not understand the criticism of LDU at all. I thought he was our best player with a very honorable mention to the big X. The dude is a gun mid. He’s not some defensive s**t truck, which is kind of a need btw.

Obviously there are some missing pieces. We are desperate for a KPF. I don’t see how we can properly evaluate any of our current forwards (Curtis, Ford, Stephenson, Bull) when we so obviously lack a second big body in the forward line. CCJ just isn’t up to it and is a back-up ruck playing in the twos at best. Disappointing, but not the end of the world. If Sellars is fit I’d have him in next week.

Personally, I don’t connect this season with any of the shizen that was 2020-2023 and I’m going to take each week as it comes - recognizing we will be the youngest, most inexperienced team pretty much every week. Go Roos.

I realize I didn’t mention the backline. I mean, what do you say? It’s undermanned to the point it’s almost a performance art piece piss-take of an AFL standard backline. In KPD order of experience Corr, Dawson and Pink. Bloody ******* Jesus Christ * me for ******* Christ’s sake. Imagine how Clarko felt in the Match Committee meeting.

Dawson was actually pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back