Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think one possibility people don’t consider enough is that if we removed the Bevoisms that occasionally drive us mad and play with a more conventional setup we might get worse.

For example, throwing midfielders like Dunkley into the ruck was maddening when the opposition got a clean hitout to advantage, yet we very often won the clearances while doing it. The downside was just very obvious and the benefit wasn’t.

Throwing an immobile ruckman into the mix would have won us some hitouts but robbed us elsewhere. The trick was to recruit a ruckman who wasn’t a liability (Martin was good but short lived, but Darcy is obviously looking great).

If we threw Naughton back he would no doubt take a raft of intercept marks and look a million bucks but the ball would likely exit the forward line easier and leave JUH more exposed. We could pick a more skilled forward than VDM who would kick a goal or two, but again the ball would exit more easily.

Doesn’t mean that he gets everything right at all, but there is usually a lot of thought behind what we do.

And every time posters say “at last, a balanced team” when the side is announced, we lose.
I'm not sure which team you've been watching for the last 5-6 years and I hate to break it to you. But despite the personal, we've been very easy to score against. One of the easiest teams to score against I'd say. You'd think anyone with some common sense wouldn't keep doing the same thing expecting different results.

I'm not sure which team you've been watching for the last 5-6 years and I hate to break it to you. But despite the personal, we've been very easy to score against. One of the easiest teams to score against I'd say. You'd think anyone with some common sense wouldn't keep doing the same thing expecting different results.
Other teams try to win games of footy, too.

So what I’ve gathered from the last couple pages from Bevo defenders is that Bevo is a good coach and should stay because “he tries his best”. Jesus Christ.

So what I’ve gathered from the last couple pages from Bevo defenders is that Bevo is a good coach and should stay because “he tries his best”. Jesus Christ.
Yep. So do other coaches. The output of Bevo's trying his best has led to a long-term winning record. The output of some other coaches trying their best leads to a losing record.

And he works in mysterious ways and his genius is so amazing we mere mortals cannot comprehend his masterplan.

Seeing I posted on the previous page, I'll bite. I'm no Bevo defender, far from it. But I responded to you labelling him a "bad coach", which is laughable.

There's a difference between a bad coach and one that has run his race. Bevo might be a fine coach elsewhere but not here with this group anymore.
We have to develop our players with new ideas and game plans, rotation of assistant's just doesn't do that.
I've read winning %s makes you a good coach. I would argue with this group he should have been in the Chris Scott %. Fagan has a great percentage albeit he hasn't won a GF yet. He still gets top 4 year in year out.
I will wait for someone to tell me when we finished top 2.....wait maybe top 4.
If they lost against GC I wanted him sacked immediately. They won.
Depending on upcoming games I'm still unsure if he will see the season out.
His last year 2025 at this stage is an absolute no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to see some genuine emotion from Bevo, more of this pls

No more Mr nice guy, all well and good to be the chill cool dude father figure coach but players haven’t been responding, so fire em up and be a hardass for a bit 🤷‍♂️

Not a myotherapist or yoga guru in sight. More of this and maybe a permanent goal kicking coach would help?

It's amazing what a win does for moral... suddenly the narrative in the media changes; 'What the hell is going on at he Dogs' and 'All-Australian Macrae on the Outer' suddenly turns to 'Brave Selection Calls Vindicated'...
I'm sure that at least 50% of the people calling for Bevo to be sacked are now thinking, wait a minute... we might have turned a corner here...

It's amazing what a win does for moral... suddenly the narrative in the media changes; 'What the hell is going on at he Dogs' and 'All-Australian Macrae on the Outer' suddenly turns to 'Brave Selection Calls Vindicated'...
I'm sure that at least 50% of the people calling for Bevo to be sacked are now thinking, wait a minute... we might have turned a corner here...

I thought the criticism over the Macrae and Daniel selections was ridiculous, considering our team looked slow AF at times last year and just couldn’t go with quicker teams and those two are right at the slower end of our midfield options. But I’m also not willing to say we’ve turned a corner based on beating a top-heavy Suns in Ballarat. The corner we need to turn is beating a few good sides and avoiding random form spirals like we’ve had the last two years.

Sample size of 1 game does not move the needle up against our form of the last couple of years. Don’t think it’s time to declare we’ve turned any corners.

But that was much better no doubt. And we played in a way that vindicated certain selections.

We probably need to be 4-2 for me to be happy. You'd hope WC is a win, so need to beat 2 of St Kilda, Geelong and Essendon.

I thought the criticism over the Macrae and Daniel selections was ridiculous, considering our team looked slow AF at times last year and just couldn’t go with quicker teams and those two are right at the slower end of our midfield options. But I’m also not willing to say we’ve turned a corner based on beating a top-heavy Suns in Ballarat. The corner we need to turn is beating a few good sides and avoiding random form spirals like we’ve had the last two years.
I think the Daniel non-selection has been pretty quickly confirmed as ridiculous tbh, there’s just zero excuse for that decision

As they probably did when we went on a 5 game winning sequence in April-May last year. And we all remember how that turned out.

Any sign of a rehabilitation is most welcome but we would be foolish to assume it has all turned around with one good showing, just as it would be foolish to write off the season with one bad one.

I think the Daniel non-selection has been pretty quickly confirmed as ridiculous tbh, there’s just zero excuse for that decision

There was logic to it. Selecting quicker players in our supporting roles and rewarding pre-season performance. Caleb’s a good player, but he also hasn’t had a clear cut role in at least a season. It’s not the same as leaving out Naughton or Libba or Jones. He performed well as the sub and I doubt his inclusion for the full game would have made much difference last week. The Dees piled on the goals after he came on. Not that I’m saying that he was responsible for that, just that he likely made no real difference to the result last week either way, since the whole team stunk.

There was logic to it. Selecting quicker players in our supporting roles and rewarding pre-season performance. Caleb’s a good player, but he also hasn’t had a clear cut role in at least a season. It’s not the same as leaving out Naughton or Libba or Jones. He performed well as the sub and I doubt his inclusion for the full game would have made much difference last week. The Dees piled on the goals after he came on. Not that I’m saying that he was responsible for that, just that he likely made no real difference to the result last week either way, since the whole team stunk.
I get that Daniel and Macrae both lack a little bit of pace, so that's justification for their inclusion, but their usefulness as utilities is polar opposite. If Macrae isn't being picked because he can't play any position other than onballer, wouldn't Daniel's ability to play any position other than ruck/key defender/key forward add to his value do the logic applied to Macrae? That's what I find a bit strange about the whole thing. Daniel can still play poor games but have value because it allows for easier moving of the magnets.

I get that Daniel and Macrae both lack a little bit of pace, so that's justification for their inclusion, but their usefulness as utilities is polar opposite. If Macrae isn't being picked because he can't play any position other than onballer, wouldn't Daniel's ability to play any position other than ruck/key defender/key forward add to his value do the logic applied to Macrae? That's what I find a bit strange about the whole thing. Daniel can still play poor games but have value because it allows for easier moving of the magnets.
Possibly why Daniel was the sub and played?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back