Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

There was logic to it. Selecting quicker players in our supporting roles and rewarding pre-season performance. Caleb’s a good player, but he also hasn’t had a clear cut role in at least a season. It’s not the same as leaving out Naughton or Libba or Jones. He performed well as the sub and I doubt his inclusion for the full game would have made much difference last week. The Dees piled on the goals after he came on. Not that I’m saying that he was responsible for that, just that he likely made no real difference to the result last week either way, since the whole team stunk.
It can still be a ridiculous decision yet have no bearing on the result, I don’t think anyone’s suggesting we would have won. But the decision to play Daniel before some others was very poor, and very quickly rectified.

There's a difference between a bad coach and one that has run his race. Bevo might be a fine coach elsewhere but not here with this group anymore.
We have to develop our players with new ideas and game plans, rotation of assistant's just doesn't do that.
I've read winning %s makes you a good coach. I would argue with this group he should have been in the Chris Scott %. Fagan has a great percentage albeit he hasn't won a GF yet. He still gets top 4 year in year out.
I will wait for someone to tell me when we finished top 2.....wait maybe top 4.
If they lost against GC I wanted him sacked immediately. They won.
Depending on upcoming games I'm still unsure if he will see the season out.
His last year 2025 at this stage is an absolute no.
Except the two examples you gave of winning percentages in Brisbane and Geelong, have the unique advantage of a true home ground advantage, something as a tenant of Marvel, along with Saints, Carlton, Essendon, North, we don’t have. Every team plays Marvel often, not once a year.

Still early days but there have been mostly good signs after a terrible opening game. We are in the 8 and our percentage has rebounded.

There are encouraging signs in terms of list acquisitions and emerging young players. There is now clearer evidence we are trying to implement a different playing style with more run, rebound and attack.

It's hard to know who gets all the credit (ie how much of it might be due to the new coaching arrivals?) but we are quick to blame Bevo when it goes bad, so he must get a fair measure of the praise when it's going well.

It's a long season. Let's not assume too much just yet. Let's see if we can maintain it. A critical bunch of games comes up in mid-season and will tell us a whole lot more. If we can win 50% or more of those games we are definitely in the hunt.

Given how badly we ended up in 2023 I'd have to give this about a 7/10 so far.

Again our backline was our best performing line this week imo.
How good is it seeing JJ run through the guts ten times a game?
Khamis is improving with every game.
Jones is our lynchpin.

Looks like we needed a new voice down there.
JJ’s resurgence has been great. So glad he didn’t head to Gold Coast a couple of years back for a token 3rd round compensation.

It will be interesting to see how we manage his workload this year. Even with Bramble, Dale, Richards, Williams sharing the load it’ll be important to avoid the 8 week calf / hamstring this year.

I'm still not convinced that we aren't a bottom six side this year. The win against GC was good but they're a very inconsistent side and we always play pretty well in Ballarat. The win against the Eagles looked a lot better than it was. On expected score it was really only a 4 or 5 goal win. We were dominated in centre bounce and had even inside 50s, which is real cause for concern. We were absolutely dominated by Melbourne and the ease by which they were able to move the ball end-to-end was reminiscent of how poorly we have defended for years. But we all know the fixture is highly compromised so Melbourne having already played a real match had them better prepared.

The match against Geelong in Adelaide is the perfect match to find out where we are at. Both teams are expected to finish somewhere around the middle of the ladder and we are playing on a neutral ground. I think the smart money would be on Geelong given how much they have owned us in the Bevo era. If we can win this then I'll start to believe we aren't as s**t as last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The match against Geelong in Adelaide is the perfect match to find out where we are at. Both teams are expected to finish somewhere around the middle of the ladder and we are playing on a neutral ground. I think the smart money would be on Geelong given how much they have owned us in the Bevo era. If we can win this then I'll start to believe we aren't as s**t as last year.
Geelong have owned us longer than the 'Bevo era'.

It is so scary how much of our season hinges on Liam Jones.

He is more than super important

I'm still not convinced that we aren't a bottom six side this year. The win against GC was good but they're a very inconsistent side and we always play pretty well in Ballarat. The win against the Eagles looked a lot better than it was. On expected score it was really only a 4 or 5 goal win. We were dominated in centre bounce and had even inside 50s, which is real cause for concern. We were absolutely dominated by Melbourne and the ease by which they were able to move the ball end-to-end was reminiscent of how poorly we have defended for years. But we all know the fixture is highly compromised so Melbourne having already played a real match had them better prepared.

Wasn’t Geelong the only team we didn’t beat in 2016?

Losing to them all the time suck arse, but it doesn’t mean we can’t will the flag

I’m with you, I’ve enjoyed the wins but they haven’t shifted my outlook on the team. We need to assert our new playing style against competent opposition before I’ll start believing we’re a legit chance of making and winning a final. Currently, I still think we’re playing like a 10 win side.

Wasn’t Geelong the only team we didn’t beat in 2016?

Losing to them all the time suck arse, but it doesn’t mean we can’t will the flag
That was why during the finals I was hoping (and pleased) we didn't have to play them - although part of me wanted to play and finally beat them in a final. The 1990s we always seemed to play them in finals.

Jones is our lynchpin.

Yep. I love Bubba but it already looks like bringing in Daniel Pratt was a master stroke

Jones is our lynchpin.

I don't know about anyone else, but I miss JJs 7 impactless touches in the forward pocket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back