Will you start with Gary Ablett?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No gaj for rds1 &;2

Watch and see 4 me
I'm really undecided but this is something I'm considering. At worst, I'll burn a sideways trade after a couple weeks. At best, I'll still burn a trade, but the possibility is that I can get on at a discount after 4-5-6 weeks, and keep the cash in the kitty.

My mail is his shoulder will take a couple of weeks to get to being OK. I'm off him ATM. When he comes in, he'll be mainly forward for a long time IMO.

FWIW!
What do you mean by "your mail". Is that another term for IMO or are you actually alluding to the fact you have connections who know?

What do you mean by "your mail". Is that another term for IMO or are you actually alluding to the fact you have connections who know?
Lets just say my colleagues are usually very well connected..... medically speaking.

Take that as you will NT! :thumbsu:

Edit : I havn't had GAJ in my team at any stage druing the build up to round one.

My mail is his shoulder will take a couple of weeks to get to being OK.

hqdefault.jpg

The problem for me is that to ensure you don't burn 2 trades early on if he comes in and performs like normall you need to leave Cash in the kitty, and even then you are trading what should be a keeper. Most likely scenario if you don't start him by round 4-5 you will be missing out not having him and it will cost you 2 trades to get him and probably lose out on some cash generation in the process by having to sell early. For this reason if he's named round 1 he is in for me.

I have no doubt that's true. I didn't have him last year and yet I was top 300 overall 1/3 of the way through the season despite him averaging almost 150 to that point. Some might argue I'd have been even higher had he been in my team but I'd argue that including him would have completely altered my team structure and probably would have meant excluding the players who had done so well for me. Eventually my terrible mid-season trades killed off my chances, but starting without Ablett certainly didn't. It's all about team balance ... no one player is indispensable.

Sc div something chasing you in the leagues thread

Well it wasn't really about hindsight ... just examples of the difference that much cash can make. The whole game is based on using your money wisely and taking the right risks. Having, or not having Ablett is just another risk/reward decision we all have to make. This year the risks outweight the likely rewards imo and I'll happily be thought of as an idiot if I turn out to be wrong ... nothing new in that :)

Agreed, wasn't taking anything from your approach, everyone contemplates it every year hoping for the outcome you had.

My point was that it's a big gamble, you got lucky, but it could have gone the other way and you would be on here warning people about not going with him instead.

GAJ is the safest bet we have in SC (if fit) and the if the risk doesn't pay off its alot harder to fix than if you were wrong about a mid pricer or someone like Danger or Ward. Unless you have the cash spare (which would defeat the purpose anyway) then trying to get him in become a massive problem.

This year is different as there is alot of question marks over where he is at, but the risk is still huge purely because its so hard to rectify if your wrong.

Agreed, wasn't taking anything from your approach, everyone contemplates it every year hoping for the outcome you had.

My point was that it's a big gamble, you got lucky, but it could have gone the other way and you would be on here warning people about not going with him instead.

GAJ is the safest bet we have in SC (if fit) and the if the risk doesn't pay off its alot harder to fix than if you were wrong about a mid pricer or someone like Danger or Ward. Unless you have the cash spare (which would defeat the purpose anyway) then trying to get him in become a massive problem.

This year is different as there is alot of question marks over where he is at, but the risk is still huge purely because its so hard to rectify if your wrong.
Although, it is easier to rectify your wrong If you start with Gaz and he sucks or misses by downgrading him to anyone. But you're right, very difficult to bring him in if he goes bang round 1 unless you keep $100k or more cash lying around.

Last edited:
Although it is easier to rectify your wrong of you start with Gaz and he sucks or misses by downgrading to anyone. But you're right, very difficult to bring him in if he goes bang round 1 unless you keep $100k or more cash lying around.

Could you repeat that in English and not whatever yobbo pidgin language that is in?

I have said it before and ill say it again. If Ablett struggles with his shoulder for a few rounds I would rather it be Round 1 and 2 than later as it only stays in his three week average for 2 lots of price changes. Will be starting him if he is named. Absolute professional in his business and if he wasnt right to play, he wouldnt put his hand up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could you repeat that in English and not whatever yobbo pidgin language that is in?
Get of your high horse you spelliban wannabe!

If you're not a fan of poor English, grammar or the likes than I suggest you give sporting forums a miss and anything related to social media. There's an ignore button if you so desire - I won't leave any sleep knowing you won't be reading my posts!

I'm hoping to buggery he doesn't play Round 1 so everyone pulls him out of their team but comes in in Round 2 and gets 180.

Super POD.
So if this happens, and Gaz isn't available round 1 - would you still take him? Pretty ballsy move!

Although, it is easier to rectify your wrong If you start with Gaz and he sucks or misses by downgrading him to anyone. But you're right, very difficult to bring him in if he goes bang round 1 unless you keep $100k or more cash lying around.
But if he keeps playing and scores ordinary.. (lets say 90-100) you wouldn't downgrade him, you would wait for him to come good. Where as if you start without and this happens he is a cheap ish pick up, say cost you 200k to upgrade cripps.

But if he keeps playing and scores ordinary.. (lets say 90-100) you wouldn't downgrade him, you would wait for him to come good. Where as if you start without and this happens he is a cheap ish pick up, say cost you 200k to upgrade cripps.
Maybe - but using TS Calculator below, you still need to find ~ $250k to upgrade Cripps after round 7ish. You could wait for byes, but Gaz will hit his straps pretty quick I reckon and you'll be leaking points.

The other issue this season is, where are you going to get this $250k for upgrades from? I'm yet to see any real cash cows that may continually punch out scores above 80 week in week out.

Scores maybe a little generous below and maybe Gaz is subbed further reducing his price but it is risky.

Cripps

upload_2015-3-31_13-9-57.png

Ablett

upload_2015-3-31_13-10-17.png

Maybe - but using TS Calculator below, you still need to find ~ $250k to upgrade Cripps after round 7ish. You could wait for byes, but Gaz will hit his straps pretty quick I reckon and you'll be leaking points.

The other issue this season is, where are you going to get this $250k for upgrades from? I'm yet to see any real cash cows that may continually punch out scores above 80 week in week out.

Scores maybe a little generous below and maybe Gaz is subbed further reducing his price but it is risky.

Cripps

View attachment 120082

Ablett

View attachment 120083

this also assumes NO injuries occur to any of your other 28 players which can be used for cash if required.

every year there is injuries / corrective trades b4 rd3 etc etc

finding cash is not hard
using trades is painful to do so
not starting with GAJ is super ballsy, perhaps dumb
starting with an underdone GAJ is ballsy, perhaps Sensible tho

this also assumes NO injuries occur to any of your other 28 players which can be used for cash if required.

every year there is injuries / corrective trades b4 rd3 etc etc

finding cash is not hard
using trades is painful to do so
not starting with GAJ is super ballsy, perhaps dumb
starting with an underdone GAJ is ballsy, perhaps Sensible tho

Agree and I meant to include injury trades in my original post.

I find every year, all your best intentions about planned upgrades go out the window because there is always bigger issues in your team. This is why I find midpricers extremely risky, as they tend to plod along scoring ok, but you never get the chance to trade them out because your focus is elsewhere in your team and you bleed points.

Good points

Cripps

View attachment 120082

Ablett

View attachment 120083
Nice work, look I agree, but I don't.... Such is the GAJ conundrum. I have 50k in the bank. could easily early trade away salem in say round 6, for 150k ish and then another 200+k rookie and cripps for gaz (pending Cripps scores obv)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back