GAJ

Will you start with Gary Ablett?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought; which premos haven't played NAB in recent years and how have they performed early rounds? I think selwood missed last year and came out firing. I'm on my phone so cant do too much research myself but anyone got any thoughts on this and who else i ciuld lool at to give me an idea?
Selwood played just 27% of one NAB game in 2014 and scored 157SC in R1.

The 2014 preseason data doesn't show any correlation between lack of preseason scoring and real season scoring for the top players.

Attachments

• 2014SupercoachPreSeason.pdf
    235.5 KB · Views: 7
Selwood played just 27% of one NAB game in 2014 and scored 157SC in R1.

The 2014 preseason data doesn't show any correlation between lack of preseason scoring and real season scoring for the top players.
Thx. That's great.

Now the only question over Gaz for me is how much time he will spend fwd due to the team trying to reduce their reliance on him. Will need to think about this a bit more but initial thought is that if you have the best player in the comp you use him where he is most effective. Think Rocket could have just been giving the media a story

is shoulder is not a concern because I'm confident he wouldn't put himself up for selection if he wasn't 100% confident.

I never start him and ways get burned. If this is the first year I start him and he duds it up, I'll be furious.
Well you're silly because the golden rule of supercoach for the last few years is: pick Ablett and make him captain.
This year is the first year there is some doubt about picking him.

Well you're silly because the golden rule of supercoach for the last few years is: pick Ablett and make him captain.
This year is the first year there is some doubt about picking him.

Not so cut n dry.
plenty have started without him and finished top 500 overall using a different strategy than the masses

Paige back tracking now.

View attachment 119517

liked this response....

"So, basically, you jumped the gun and are now blaming Wayne Carey.

That's what happens when you jump on FB and post what someone else says instead of fact finding yourself."
Great comment by that particularly smart observer ;)

Reports are he trained strongly with no restrictions so he's in my team if he's named round 1.

Best player in the game by a mile so couldn't care less if he's barely had a pre-season, he's a freak and I will keep picking him until he give's me a reason not to.

Last edited:
Reports are he trained strongly with no restrictions so he's in my team if he's named round 1.

Best player in the game by a mile so could care less if he's barely had a pre-season, he's a freak and I will keep picking him until he give's me a reason not to.
*couldn't
I'm not a queen of the grammar but this one kills me.

Not so cut n dry.
plenty have started without him and finished top 500 overall using a different strategy than the masses
I have no doubt that's true. I didn't have him last year and yet I was top 300 overall 1/3 of the way through the season despite him averaging almost 150 to that point. Some might argue I'd have been even higher had he been in my team but I'd argue that including him would have completely altered my team structure and probably would have meant excluding the players who had done so well for me. Eventually my terrible mid-season trades killed off my chances, but starting without Ablett certainly didn't. It's all about team balance ... no one player is indispensable.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that's true. I didn't have him last year and yet I was top 300 overall 1/3 of the way through the season despite him averaging almost 150 to that point. Some might argue I'd have been even higher had he been in my team but I'd argue that including him would have completely altered my team structure and probably would have meant excluding the players who had done so well for me. Eventually my terrible mid-season trades killed off my chances, but starting without Ablett certainly didn't. It's all about team balance ... no one player is indispensable.
Do you really think that extra 150k makes that much of a difference over the course of your whole team structure? I think this like non-playing rookies and the like would make more of a difference. Just curious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really think that extra 150k makes that much of a difference over the course of your whole team structure? I think this like non-playing rookies and the like would make more of a difference. Just curious.
It could be more than $150k, but even that much can make a big difference. You're not only losing the other premium midfielder that becomes Ablett but you're also losing out somewhere else to find the money. Perhaps it's another premium somewhere being downgraded to a mid-pricer you had previously rejected which would have possibly meant I started with Thomas instead of JPK last year or a mid-priced back instead of Malceski. Or may be it would have been a mid-pricer you were happy with who is downgraded to another rookie which would have seen me lose Dahlhouse for another failing forward rookie last year. Or perhaps a couple of more expensive rookies you've carefully chosen become cheaper rookies you had rejected. Having rookies who play rather than those who don't is very important too, but having less cash to spend makes even that less likely.

It could be more than $150k, but even that much can make a big difference. You're not only losing the other premium midfielder that becomes Ablett but you're also losing out somewhere else to find the money. Perhaps it's another premium somewhere being downgraded to a mid-pricer you had previously rejected which would have possibly meant I started with Thomas instead of JPK last year or a mid-priced back instead of Malceski. Or may be it would have been a mid-pricer you were happy with who is downgraded to another rookie which would have seen me lose Dahlhouse for another failing forward rookie last year. Or perhaps a couple of more expensive rookies you've carefully chosen become cheaper rookies you had rejected. Having rookies who play rather than those who don't is very important too, but having less cash to spend makes even that less likely.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

If you use the money wisely than you can come out on top, but thats the risk you take.

GAJ is a sure thing if he plays at anything close to 90-100%. Going lets say Dangerfield and Swallow instead of Ablett and Rich (just for arguments sake) could go either way, if you pick it right, then its all Christmas, if your wrong then your the idiot that thought he could start without Ablett and still do well.

I like my structure without Ablett, and it will come down to the wire as to whether i have the balls to go without.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

If you use the money wisely than you can come out on top, but thats the risk you take.

GAJ is a sure thing if he plays at anything close to 90-100%. Going lets say Dangerfield and Swallow instead of Ablett and Rich (just for arguments sake) could go either way, if you pick it right, then its all Christmas, if your wrong then your the idiot that thought he could start without Ablett and still do well.

I like my structure without Ablett, and it will come down to the wire as to whether i have the balls to go without.
Well it wasn't really about hindsight ... just examples of the difference that much cash can make. The whole game is based on using your money wisely and taking the right risks. Having, or not having Ablett is just another risk/reward decision we all have to make. This year the risks outweight the likely rewards imo and I'll happily be thought of as an idiot if I turn out to be wrong ... nothing new in that :)

I reckon I'll go with Gaz if he's named. I'll just go Cripps/Brayshaw > 123k mid and Fyfe > Ablett.

The thought of me having Ablett and my opponent not is mouth watering.

I'm not picking him early, sadly, i think clubs are going to test out the shoulder and feel he is going to end up with a lot of pain, niggle and eventually another serious shoulder injury.

I hope i am wrong but i can see people blowing $200k+ before they know it, at his value a few games coming off sore or hurt will torpedo his value very quickly.

I'm starting to feel uncomfortable without him in my side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back