State of Origin Game 1: Queensland v New South Wales

Remove this Banner Ad

i dunno man he looked pretty sharp tonight. i agree inglis is better at fullback and i think he's taken over slater as a better fullback (just)... but slater fullback, inglis centre is better than inglis fullback and Chambers centre IMO.

It's a tough call because as we've seen many times over the years and again tonight the fullback can be such a potent attacking weapon.

He looked Sharp until the last 20 minutes, which sort of highlights it. His speed and his fitness isn't there, sort of understandable at his age, but I firmly believe that Chambers AND/OR Gagai should be in the side, even Justin O'Neil would be okay. Inglis needs the ball in his hands, not twidling his thumb in the centres.

Only twice (1987, 1998) has a side lost Game 1 at home then won Game 2 away. Both times QLD won the series.

THREE HOME LOSSES IN THE SAME SERIES

1998: QLD (a), NSW (a), QLD (a)

BOTH SIDES LOSING LIVE GAMES AT HOME IN THE SAME SERIES

1982: NSW (a), QLD (h), QLD (a)
1987: NSW (a), QLD (a), QLD (h)
1994: QLD (a), NSW (n), NSW (a)

WHERE ONE OF THE LOSSES WAS A DEAD RUBBER
1984: QLD (h), QLD (a), NSW (a)
1997: NSW (a), NSW (n), QLD (a)
2007: QLD (h), QLD (a), NSW (a)
2009: QLD (n), QLD (a), NSW (a)

Reference: http://stats.rleague.com/rl/soo/soo_idx.html

He looked Sharp until the last 20 minutes, which sort of highlights it. His speed and his fitness isn't there, sort of understandable at his age, but I firmly believe that Chambers AND/OR Gagai should be in the side, even Justin O'Neil would be okay. Inglis needs the ball in his hands, not twidling his thumb in the centres.

He played a good 80mins and deserves the FB spot.

even Justin O'Neil would be okay...

I'll have some of what you're smoking!

Agree about Chambers, though, he's been excellent all season. Also agree that although Inglis is probably better at 1 than Slater, you can hardly leave BS out when he was one of QLD's best performers.

I'll have some of what you're smoking!

Agree about Chambers, though, he's been excellent all season. Also agree that although Inglis is probably better at 1 than Slater, you can hardly leave BS out when he was one of QLD's best performers.

Put JT into Cronks spot and put Billy into JT's old spot.

Of course there is gonna be uproar in Qld about the Reynolds tackle - and fair enough it was ugly - but it's worth well noting that the Queensland team was heavy into the lifting tackle all night. Yes we did a bit of lifting as you'd expect and were responsible for the worst one, but in terms of quantity it was not even close to the amount of lifting tackles the Maroons did which all had the potential to turn very ugly.

Of course there is gonna be uproar in Qld about the Reynolds tackle - and fair enough it was ugly - but it's worth well noting that the Queensland team was heavy into the lifting tackle all night. Yes we did a bit of lifting as you'd expect and were responsible for the worst one, but in terms of quantity it was not even close to the amount of lifting tackles the Maroons did which all had the potential to turn very ugly.

How many of these so called tackles were penalised? I ask as I don't recall seeing much at all from either team.

The Reynolds tackle looked very ugly. So did the Greg Bird tackle a few weeks back.In both instances, the tacklers did what they've always been taught to do:drive with the legs in a tackle.In both instances, the tackled player landed on their back first.BUT, it's not a good look at all.He'll probably try for the downgrade, citing the Bird tackle , the point of impact and the assistance Beau Scott gave in the tackle.Should he get the downgrade ? I don't really think so.
Early in the match, there was a huge tackle on Whatmough, where Queensland simply picked him up, upended him, spun him back and dumped him. Last time I looked, that was illegal. But, the referee did'nt have a problem with it, so I just assumed all bets were off because it was Origin.

The 2nd half was great rugby to watch. Qld knew they had to do something to get back into the game. Firstly through repeat sets and then their ability to stop NSW when they got the ball was great. NSW couldnt get it into their half.

Having said all that, NSW were able to hold out QLD for the whole 2nd half (bar 1 try) and their defense was immense. Great effort to basically defend for majority of 2nd half.

Cronk was a massive loss, cherry-evans was very poor when he came on (he wasnt mentally ready to come on as a replacement for the rest of the game). The fact he wasnt passing the ball and instead getting tackled was infuriating. Its his job to offload not make meters. Add to that poor games from Smith and Thurstan and you can see why NSW won.

The 2nd half was great rugby to watch. Qld knew they had to do something to get back into the game. Firstly through repeat sets and then their ability to stop NSW when they got the ball was great. NSW couldnt get it into their half.

Having said all that, NSW were able to hold out QLD for the whole 2nd half (bar 1 try) and their defense was immense. Great effort to basically defend for majority of 2nd half.

Cronk was a massive loss, cherry-evans was very poor when he came on (he wasnt mentally ready to come on as a replacement for the rest of the game). The fact he wasnt passing the ball and instead getting tackled was infuriating. Its his job to offload not make meters. Add to that poor games from Smith and Thurstan and you can see why NSW won.
I never expected us to win, and was pleasantly surprised that we did.But one thing I'll struggle to work out is the game from Cameron Smith.It's not Meninga who coaches that team.He's just the figurehead. Queensland's style of play has Mick Hagan all over it.But Smith is the other coach.He's the brains out on the field.But last night he almost seemed to limit himself to being dummy half all night and not a lot else.Thurston had an unhappy night, but he at least was trying to kick-start the attack.
I can't see Queensland being so unsteady in the next game.Especially if NSW lose both Morris brothers to injury (which looks likely).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many of these so called tackles were penalised? I ask as I don't recall seeing much at all from either team.
None were penalised but that doesn't mean there weren't plenty of them, particularly in the first half. My mates Indian girlfriend who literally knows nothing about League even remarked how come they are always picking up the Blues players.

Agree with Vekgib Reynolds best defence is to try and get the downgrade, plead guilty and miss one week. It's a bummer that the Dogs have a bye between games.

If Daley goes back to Pearce and Maloney on account of Reynolds suspension and we lose Origin it could be end of his origin coaching career.

LOL at SMH rating of Matt Scott a 5/10. The guy was a battering ram on several occasions both with ball and in defence.

Actually LOL at the whole ratings. Qld littered with 4's and 5's while no NSW player below 6. You'd think we won by 20+.

LOL at SMH rating of Matt Scott a 5/10. The guy was a battering ram on several occasions both with ball and in defence.

Actually LOL at the whole ratings. Qld littered with 4's and 5's while no NSW player below 6. You'd think we won by 20+.
Cam Smith a 6 ?
Greg Inglis a 7 ?
Justin Hodges a 5 ?
FMD

Those ratings are always a joke They usually mark the winning side up by a point and losing side by a point in close games. If slater scores that try then the ratings would be the other way around.

AFL grand finals are notorious for bad ratings

It's this sort of NSW jizzfest that sets them up for failure each and every year.

I mean, it was 2 tries a piece with a couple of penalty conversions the difference.....and QLD camped the final 30 mins in their attacking red zone.

the only reason QLD didn't win was because Cherry Evans was below par and wasn't putting the same pressure on the NSW left-side defence as Thurston was on the other side. that's not to take anything away from the blues goal line defence, but DCE was a bit lost of answers and creativity and didn't stretch them the way Thurston was on the other side of the park. Then he'd resort to impotent kicks which Tupou nullified with ease.

Understandable. Up until now, Cronk would've run that side and would take the big minutes in training too developing combinations with Gillett/Thaiday, Slater & Hodges over the years. DCE will be good for the run and will now be the chief on their right-side in the lead-up to Games 2 & 3.

Yeah agree with most, but Thurston didn't have a bad game in attack.

But he missed a couple of conversions he'd normally kick, and Hayne made him his bitch on both NSW tries.

Yeah, suspect they didn't do much planning revolving around him being the main half, not just being a run-on injection player.
Yeah, that. Im pretty concerned, Cherry Evans will be starting half back now and he's been in much better form than Cronk at club level.

Fantastic game of footy, best origin in some time. Some games stand out because of the attacking flair but that one in particular was just tough as nails, sort of intensity that has league at its best. Jarryd Hayne was excellent, as he had to be, and that morris right side was just solid all night.

Inglis isn't getting the room to move at centre he does at fullback. Be interesting whether or not Slater is fit, Inglis slotting in at fullback is pretty scary.

Tate and Boyd is probably my most disliked pair of wingers of all time.

Yeah, that. Im pretty concerned, Cherry Evans will be starting half back now and he's been in much better form than Cronk at club level.

Fantastic game of footy, best origin in some time. Some games stand out because of the attacking flair but that one in particular was just tough as nails, sort of intensity that has league at its best. Jarryd Hayne was excellent, as he had to be, and that morris right side was just solid all night.

Inglis isn't getting the room to move at centre he does at fullback. Be interesting whether or not Slater is fit, Inglis slotting in at fullback is pretty scary.

Tate and Boyd is probably my most disliked pair of wingers of all time.

Do you watch many Storm games?

Cronk has been fantastic for us.

Do you watch many Storm games?

Cronk has been fantastic for us.
Do you watch many Manly games?

Evans has been one of the best couple of players in the entire comp this year.

Cronk has been reasonable, but not at the level of previous years, much like Slater and Smith (although they all looked pretty ominous against Souths a couple of weeks back).

Given the combinations/previous success it makes it an easy decison to pick Cronk, but if Evans is as good as he has been in general over the last 12 months in game two then NSW is in real trouble, he's a high quality player and has been the best halfback this season.

Do you watch many Manly games?

Evans has been one of the best couple of players in the entire comp this year.

Cronk has been reasonable, but not at the level of previous years, much like Slater and Smith (although they all looked pretty ominous against Souths a couple of weeks back).

Given the combinations/previous success it makes it an easy decison to pick Cronk, but if Evans is as good as he has been in general over the last 12 months in game two then NSW is in real trouble, he's a high quality player and has been the best halfback this season.

I never said "Cronk has been in much better form that Cherry-Evans". You claimed DCE has been "much better" which is complete bullshit.

Cronk starts when fit every day of the week.

well, yeah, Cherry-Evans has been in much better form, because he's just about been the best in the comp. Which is not something you could say about Cronk, who started the season injured and has only really heated up in the last few weeks.

It's not a knock on Cronk as a player, he's been great for a long time, and is deserving of his selection (as I said, given his combo with Slater and Smith, Thurston over several years and general quality, it's not like it'd be the difference).

But if DCE was to play as well as he has been in club footy, which is, as mentioned, better than almost anyone in the game this season, then he is dangerous as hell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back