Gameday Thread Round 6 - Hawthorn Hawks vs Essendon Bombers - Saturday May 5, 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport...-illegal-Sheedy/2007/05/02/1177788221079.html

Hawks blocking tactic illegal: Sheedy

Email
Print
Normal font
Large font
May 2, 2007 - 7:49PM
Advertisement

Advertisement

Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy has spiced up Saturday's AFL clash against Hawthorn by accusing the Hawks of using illegal blocking tactics in their forward line.

In a blunt piece of criticism, Sheedy said Hawk forwards were denying opposition defenders a fair run at the ball.

"They actually do very good blocking down in their forward line when they line up four guys inside 20," Sheedy said before training at Windy Hill.

"It's just not within the rules of our game, let's be honest."

Sheedy said the practice needed further scrutiny and asked his supporters to draw it to the attention of the umpires.

"I think it should be looked at, you shouldn't be blocking too far off the footy," Sheedy said.

"It's too far away at the moment.

"You want to do that we'll go back to rugby and we'll go back to gridiron and we'll block a long way off the ball.

"We might get all the Essendon cheer squad to point 'There it is, there it is, there it is, ump'. Put a bit of fun back in the crowd."

His comments are sure to add extra spice to the round six game at the MCG, after both teams were involved in an infamous brawl in 2004.

That incident resulted in 16 players fronting the AFL tribunal on 27 charges, highlighted by Hawthorn captain Richie Vandenberg's six-match suspension.

While Sheedy said it was a futile exercise to revisit that match and rekindle old animosities, he still tipped a fiery affair.

"Come and see a real game of footy, just watch Essendon-Hawthorn on the weekend ... (as opposed to) those wrestling teams," Sheedy said in a not-so-subtle dig at the lock-down game style in vogue at several AFL clubs.

"We actually get out and box. Some teams wrestle and other teams box. It's probably good in the end that every now and then a boxer wins a premiership.

"It's the old good tough days of footy when Essendon play Hawthorn. It's probably a good advertisement for the game.

In a bid to curb the influence of Lance Franklin, Sheedy left open the possibility of using two defenders on the in-form Hawk forward, who kicked six goals against the Western Bulldogs last week.

"Franklin, he's just got the biggest motor in the AFL nearly, with (St Kilda co-captain Nick) Riewoldt," Sheedy said.

"It's very hard. We might have to double (team) him."

"He's a very potent forward and he's very exciting. He lifts the team and it's pretty important that we can shut him down."

Mark Bolton, Adam McPhee, Kepler Bradley or Dustin Fletcher are possible candidates, but Sheedy said youngster Patrick Ryder was unlikely to get the job despite his encouraging form.

Sheedy put the Bombers through a 40-minute scratch match at Windy Hill on Wednesday in a bid to maintain their competitive touch.

Ruckman David Hille (hamstring) will again be sidelined with injury.

Essendon will have had nine days between games come Saturday, and the players used the longer break to get last weekend off and attend Brent Stanton's 21st birthday.

"We had a good little party out there in the grounds of Banyule," Sheedy said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21670404-23211,00.html

Hawks give Bateman chance

May 04, 2007

HAWTHORN may be forced make a late change for tomorrow's game with Essendon at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Midfield player Chance Bateman, who sustained a calf injury last weekend, missed today's light training session at Waverley.

He trained yesterday and the Hawks are waiting to see how he pulls up.

Essendon captain Matthew Lloyd is also in doubt with a hamstring problem.

Not good.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21669534-23211,00.html

Clarkson hits back at Sheeds
By Mark Stevens
May 04, 2007

HAWTHORN coach Alastair Clarkson has fired back at Kevin Sheedy, labelling claims of unfair blocking a diversionary tactic.

The wily Essendon coach on Wednesday accused Hawks forwards of breaking the rules, but Clarkson said yesterday every team blocked for teammates.

"He has made a long career out of diverting the media somewhere and I reckon there must be something going on down at Bomberland this week," Clarkson said.

The Hawks confront the Bombers at the Mellbourne Cricket Ground tomorrow and Clarkson welcomed the umpires keeping a close eye on his marking forwards.

But Clarkson warned Sheedy a stringent approach from the whistle-blowers could turn football into basketball.

"If they try to police it, then Sheeds will get what he was accusing Terry Wallace of last year ,playing basketball," Clarkson said on Melbourne's Sport 927 radio.

Sheedy famously made headlines, accusing Richmond counterpart Wallace of playing "basketball crap" to defeat Adelaide.

Clarkson said AFL was a contact game.

"You only have to look at centre bounces and stoppages around the ground. Blokes screen for one another all the time," Clarkson said.

"The way the game's played now, where it's real uncontested possession footy, you either keep up with it or you play in the Dark Ages.

"I'm not really sure what he's talking about in the first place, but if it is to do with blocking a path for one another, every team does it."

Sheedy added spice to the clash by declaring: "They (Hawthorn) actually do very good blocking down in their forward line when they line up four guys inside 20.

"It's just not within the rules, let's be honest," Sheedy said. "I think it should be looked at."

Hawthorn and Essendon were involved in an infamous brawl at the MCG in 2004, in what has become known as the "line in the sand" game.

The brawl ended in 16 players fronting the AFL Tribunal on 27 charges.

http://www.sportal.com.au/football.asp?i=news&id=98113

Preview: Bombers v Hawks
by: Angus Morgan
Sportal

VENUE & TIME: MCG, 2.10pm, Saturday May 5

HEAD TO HEAD: Essendon: 92, Hawthorn: 53

LAST TIME: Hawthorn 19.10 (124) def Essendon 15.16 (106), Round 20, 2006 at Telstra Dome

WALKING WOUNDED: Essendon's injury list is as follows: Jay Nash (foot – 2 weeks), Nathan Lovett-Murray (groin – test), Jay Neagle (foot – 7 weeks), Courtenay Dempsey (hamstring – 2 weeks), Leroy Jetta (groin – 3 weeks), David Hille (hamstring – test) and Adam Ramanauskas (groin – 3 weeks). Among the Hawks injured or facing tests are Chance Bateman (calf - test), Clinton Young (bruised shoulder - test), Trent Croad (foot - available), Richie Vandenberg (hamstring - available), Joel Smith (knee - available), Mitch Thorp (hip - 1 week), Danny Jacobs (hamstring - 1 week), Tim Clarke (achilles - 12 weeks) and Mark Williams (knee - 12 weeks).

FORM: The Bombers are holding down fifth place on the ladder as one of seven teams on 12 points. They will still be smarting from their Anzac Day loss to Collingwood. Hawthorn is sitting in eighth place with three wins against Melbourne, the Kangaroos and Geelong. The Hawks are coming off a loss to the Western Bulldogs last Sunday.

WHO'S HOT: Alwyn Davey has been in eye-catching form for the Bombers while Adam McPhee, Dustin Fletcher and Damien Peverill were standouts on Anzac Day. Lance Franklin had a day out against the Bulldogs with six goals while Jordan Lewis racked up some big numbers with 36 disposals and 11 marks.

WE THINK: Essendon-Hawthorn matches were becoming a little ho-hum the further we moved from the mid-80s, but that all changed with the 'line in the sand' clash of 2004. There are enough key figures from that match involved in this one to add an extra edge. Essendon won 10-in-a-row against Hawthorn between 1998-05, but the Hawks have won the last three. The Bombers will benefit from a 10-day break after Anzac Day and expect a number of stars such as Matthew Lloyd and James Hird to strip fitter this week. Mark Williams' knee injury robs the Hawks of variety and a touch of class, and he's irreplaceable. The Hawks probably have the edge in the midfield but Essendon has the more potent forward set-up and a greater range of defensive options. Essendon by 15 points.

Thursday, 3 May 2007 10:59:10 AM AEST

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21668770-11088,00.html

Lloyd under injury cloud

Michael Horan

May 04, 2007 12:00am
Article from:

Font size: +
-

Send this article: Print
Email

A HAMSTRING injury has Essendon spearhead Matthew Lloyd in doubt for tomorrow's clash with Hawthorn at the MCG.

Lloyd was named in the side last night, but is not guaranteed to line up.

The Bombers have been careful with Lloyd's fitness after the key forward ripped his hamstring from the bone in Round 3 last year, which ended his season.

It is uncertain when Lloyd's most recent injury occurred. It has been 10 days since Lloyd last played, when he kicked two goals in the Anzac Day clash against Collingwood. He played the entire game.

In other Essendon changes, Jobe Watson and Kepler Bradley were dropped.

The Bombers have also lost Henry Slattery to a hamstring injury.

The good news is the return of Jason Johnson, Andrew Welsh and Jason Winderlich for the encounter against the up-and-coming Hawks.

Essendon and Hawthorn faltered last weekend after flying starts to the season and both will be desperate to notch a win.

The Hawks' will be boosted by the return of Trent Croad and Richie Vandenberg, who replace omitted pair Josh Thurgood and Xavier Ellis.

http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=42442

Preview: Essendon v Hawthorn

4:05:00 PM Wed 2 May, 2007 | Back

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

Where and when: MCG, Saturday May 5, 2.10pm

Head to head: Essendon 92 wins, Hawthorn 53 wins

Last time: Hawthorn 19.10 (124) d Essendon 15.16 (106), round 20, 2006, at Telstra Dome

SUMMARY

Ah, roll back the memories of the 1980s when blood-curdling fisticuffs, nastiness and meanness were the norm between Essendon and Hawthorn. They were the days when Dermie threw his hair and weight around, kissed Billy Duckworth and bustled through opposition team huddles. More recently, it was Richie Vandenberg (and Dermie behind the scenes) chalking lines in sand. Nowadays, things are a little more sedate. Last year, the Hawks beat the Bombers twice – the first time in a decade. And in 2007, both teams are evenly matched on talent and form, and have an exciting band of youngsters.

The Bombers blew a gasket on Anzac Day against the marauding Pies. After controlling the game early, poor skill execution and poor kicking for goal proved costly and enabled the speedy Pies to work back into the match and run away with the prize. They sit five and three on the table – equal footing with the Hawks – and have the advantage of a 10-day recovery.

Meanwhile, the Hawks are less chirpy after being exposed by the Western Bulldogs last week. Hawthorn was found wanting in defence, struggling against the experience of a tall, strong forward in Luke Darcy. The Dogs took a team season-high 19 F50 marks which resulted in eight goals. Although Hawks full-forward Lance Franklin booted six, he didn’t receive much support inside the arc.

Speed will be the key in this contest … speed of movement of the ball. If the Dons spitfire the ball to Matthew Lloyd enough times, they will win. Ditto, the Hawks to Franklin – and maybe Trent Croad. The crumbers at both ends will also have key roles to play.

KEY MATCH-UPS

Matthew Lloyd v Stephen Gilham
An intriguing match-up of the extremes. Lloyd is a magician in front of the sticks, and has an impressive strike-rate against the Hawks. He will oppose schoolboy-like Gilham, a member of Hawthorn’s rookie list in 2006. But the young kid has attitude, and was taught a few valuable lessons by Darcy last round.

James Hird v Shane Crawford
The two blond bombshells (well, one is not so blond anymore) and former skippers go toe-to-toe each season and it’s always a great contest. Invariably, both players tend to drift wide of each other and play a game of cat and mouse. Who catches who usually isn’t decided until the final siren.

Dustin Fletcher v Lance Franklin
These two long-limbed athletes will battle it out for skill and will. Fletcher is blessed with wisdom and a football brain, while Buddy is learning, and learning very quickly. Whoever holds their nerve should win this contest, be it the experienced Fletcher or excitable Franklin.

WILDCARD

Luke Hodge
Where does he play his best football? As the free-wheeling sweeper across half-back, or in the middle, where his sublime left-foot passing dictates the Hawks forward fortunes? Regardless of where he plays, he’s damaging. He’s the marshal down back, organising, talking and stamping his authority on teammates. But his match-winning capabilities rely on his midfield prowess. He reads the ball so well and is instrumental in creating opportunities for Mitchell, Sewell, Crawford and Co.

BLUFFER'S GUIDE

This is an even contest, and the bookies odds’ very much reflect that with Essendon marginal favourites at $1.72 and Hawthorn $2. Injury management may play role this round, with Vandenberg, Croad and Smith available for selection for the Hawks, and livewire Nathan Lovett-Murray and David Hille for the Bombers.

MID-WEEK QUESTION MARKS:

The Bombers have not played since Anzac Day – and that’s a long time to be licking (and nursing) – your wounds. Kevin Sheedy will pump up this game up for all its worth. He’ll rebel-rouse his troops and implore them to win the hard ball and critical one-on-one contests. Will they be too well-rested, or ready for battle?

Alastair Clarkson likes to rally the natives too. He may be short in stature, but he sure isn’t on histrionics. He understands that there is no love lost between these two clubs. He secured a milestone that his predecessor Peter Schwab was never able to achieve – to coach a winning team against Essendon. Can he make it three in a row against the Dons?

I'm pumped for this game. I know it's early but maybe it's the tallie I've just sunk.

I hope we smash 'em on the scoreboard and that we smash 'em in the fight

I would love to be there; Make some noise those that are

Its killing me that I cant be there tomorrow.......it actually hurts

Just started a new job and if I start asking for shift swaps this early in the piece I might be in trouble

Heres hoping my internet login has come through so I can be on here getting updates..If not I might do the nerdy thing and tape the game and then when I finish work at 7pm block out all news till I get home

Its killing me that I cant be there tomorrow.......it actually hurts

Just started a new job and if I start asking for shift swaps this early in the piece I might be in trouble

Heres hoping my internet login has come through so I can be on here getting updates..If not I might do the nerdy thing and tape the game and then when I finish work at 7pm block out all news till I get home

Working also so cannot go! I have a radio and then the Plasma on the wall to watch the replay. The Plasma is really meant for propaganda messages from HQ but we rigged it with a digital reciever:D

End of first quater

G B Total
Essendon: 4 2 26
Hawthorn: 3 3 21

Essendon began well and established an early lead but a good fight back by the hawks in extra time saw us take our score from 1 2 8 to 3 3 21

Goals to Boyle, Dixon and Lewis

Major possies : Ladson 10, Crawford 9 and everybody else has 5 or below

although the possie count doesnt do justice to many of our players

also currently our SMALLEST foward is dixon who has FLECTHER on him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go Hawks 15.8 to 11.3 at 3/4 time - Buddy seven goals.

Lets hope we can bury them and not let them back into the game

WHAT A MATCH

Franklin 9 goals

G B Total
Essendon: 15 6 96
Hawthorn: 20 11 131

Goals: Franklin 9, Boyle 3, Dixon 3, Roughead 2, Hodge 1, Lewis 1, Murphy 1

Best: Franklin (i would think:rolleyes:), Brown (held down Lucas) Crawford, Sewell, Lewis , Mitchell

Leading ball winners - Crawford 27, Sewell 25, Lewis 24, Mitchell 23, Ladson 22

With Collingwoods victory over Adelaide (86-62), they edge in front of us on percentage. Our percentage is 107.83, Collingwood's is 107.90. We are currently fourth and Collinwgood third.

While is only round six, had Vandenberg been able to take his shot, and scored a goal he would have been third. This is the importance of every goal and highlights the fact that Vandenberg was well within his rights to blast McGlynn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back