Autopsy Gather Round vs Fremantle @ Norwood Oval - 14/04/23 - 5:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Subjected myself to watching the replay.
That Anderson set-shot miss directly in front was an absolute killer.

Would have been 28 points in front with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd having kicked the last 3 goals. I reckon we go on an win from there.

They kick the final 3 goals after a few weak defensive efforts.. go in only 6 points up.

Watching King live he really needs to get on his bike and run his opponent around. Pearce hardly had to chase him, most of the time he stood stationary whacking his elbow into his back. Maybe chf, maybe chb but he needs to get moving and get into the game. It's been said a million times that we can't bomb it to him but he needs to do better to atleast bring it to ground. Feel as though if he is deep fwd he could be constantly moving his player around then when a high ball comes in he has some separation and can run and jump. He's trying to play as though he's levi casboult. Needs to work on this as Ben McKay will eat him alive next week.
I liked the way we set up particularly first half with a smaller player starting deep, Humphrey looked promising and swallow is elite in the air for his size and think this is something he could do more of. Luko was straight kicking off being clear best on ground, but we can't expect him to dominate every game teams are going to focus hard on shutting him down. Rosas teases with some really good moments but has some real shockers too. Ainsworth has been a bit disappointing, not sure if he is carrying something but seems to be lacking his elite running power, I'd like him to get a bit of midfield time. Humphrey is going to be a gun but we cant expect him to be the difference yet, he is a power player that doesn't have the power yet, when he does though look out! Really not sure what the best mix of talls is but we need witts back in ruck asap, maybe casboult deep King up the ground and chol bench and rotate.

Subjected myself to watching the replay.
That Anderson set-shot miss directly in front was an absolute killer.

Would have been 28 points in front with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd having kicked the last 3 goals. I reckon we go on an win from there.

They kick the final 3 goals after a few weak defensive efforts.. go in only 6 points up.

That one hurt.
Would have taken the wind out of their sails and given it to us. A two goal swing that one.

They still ran all over us from that point on, especially with Darcy dominating the clearances, and they might still win, but that was a big moment.

Of course, there were plenty of moments in the first half when we could have kicked away or could have stopped them scoring and failed then too.

The most worrying thing for me though was the number of 1 on 1's we lost in the last quarter. They smashed us in contested ball through the middle of the ground and in our forward 50. We lost too many and back it went.

We can talk about coaches and culture and whatever, but at some point have some respect for your own performance and when the ball is right there either beat your opponent or break even. The game gets pretty simple when it is 1vs1 in the air or on the ground.

It takes 5 seconds to google it. FYI, it's no good.
OK, here it is.

Gold Coast Coaches Win-Loss Records​

Home & AwayFinalsTotal
Seas W D L T % W D L T % W D L T % PR GF
Dew, Stuart
2018-2023​
30​
1​
78​
109​
27.98​
30​
1​
78​
109​
27.98​
McKenna, Guy
2011-2014​
24​
64​
88​
27.27​
24​
64​
88​
27.27​
Eade, Rodney
2015-2017​
16​
1​
46​
63​
26.19​
16​
1​
46​
63​
26.19​
Solomon, Dean
2017​
3​
3​
0.00​
3​
3​
0.00​
[Top]

It's frustrating to come on and read sack the coach from everyone here when we nail some easy goals and we would all be praising the improved performance from players a d coaches. The thing that annoyed me though was first half we seemed to really throw the midfield rotations around, Miller was wing/ half fwd as was Anderson, Rowell was fwd. Come 2nd half it just seemed Miller, Rowell and Anderson. The big guys got hold of us in the end though and if witts had of played we win by 5+ goal. As for coaches the one I would be getting rid of is kaesler, our defenders can't defend besides Powell and sometimes Collins. Get an experienced afl defender running the show back there and see how we go.
Are you aware we are ranked last in marks inside 50? What does that tell you?

Probably tells me what I saw last night, our no 1 target (king) doesn't move around enough, tries to play as a 110 kg gorilla, needs to get more separation from his defender so he can run and jump at those high balls. The composure with ball through the middle needs to be better, when we do it looks good. I did like Humphrey and swallow forward, they both took some marks. So yeah sack the forward coach also 😆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tells you how much we're missing Rankine
I don't have access to score involvement stats but last year he was involved more often than not
He's incredibly unselfish contrary to popular belief and his footskills left everyone else at The Suns in the dust

I don't have access to score involvement stats but last year he was involved more often than not
He's incredibly unselfish contrary to popular belief and his footskills left everyone else at The Suns in the dust
I am pretty sure Rankine was number 1 for us for score involvement. But that little prick decided to move on after publicly claiming he would rather move his family to GC than move back to Adelaide. He is dead to me :p

Luckily, I still enjoy watching him (and Rachele even more). Crows were humming nicely against Blues (I love when Blues are hammered and look ordinary despite some top talent on the list).

Yes, and unfortunately players like Ainsworth (who compared well in score involvements) have dropped off too.

I think it is less that King is in our forward line, and more someone like Rankine is not.

Yes, and unfortunately players like Ainsworth (who compared well in score involvements) have dropped off too.

I think it is less that King is in our forward line, and more someone like Rankine is not.
Correct
If you think about the guys who have the ball in their hands 90% of the time for us-Miller,Rowell Anderson Swallow-well lets just say you wouldn't want them kicking for your life
King isn't getting the laces out service Casboult and Chol got last year
Benny Ainsworth is finding out what it's like to have the oppos best small defender instead of 3rd best given the best 2 were on Rankine
It's a mess

Last edited:
Correct
If you think about the guys who have the ball in their hands 90% of the time for us-Miller,Rowell Anderson Swallow-well lets just say you wouldn't want them kicking for your life
King isn't getting the laces out service Casboult and Chol got last year
Benny Ainsworth is finding out what it's like to have the oppos best defender instead of 3rd best given the best 2 were on Rankine
It's a mess
Interesting point on Ainsworth, hadn't thought about that. He did seem to be struggling in his running at certain points, he may be carrying something but still, if you're out there you're expected to perform, or be subbed out

Did he say who aren't unconditional? Let's talk to them.

I always think footy is a team game, has to play as a team, regardless of stats. But then it's also a game of millimetres with not converted shots, stupid mistakes/clangers costing goals.

I would say it’s the guys who have inconsistent games despite some level of experience.

The same group you see have inconsistent efforts even within games.
I know.

But e.g., would you say that Collins isn't unconditional despite being woefully inconsistent? He would die for the team. He just struggles for form for whatever reason. Just maybe he tries too hard and should relax a bit or struggles with confidence or pressure put on team performances.

I am pretty sure all players try hard, put heart into it.

I get the feeling some are almost trying too hard, Collins, Miller, Rowell, Anderson, swallow a few that almost give so much effort it seems to affect their execution. Maybe why we are so high in contested stuff and not good outside of the contest. Lukosius can get criticism for going through the motions a bit but you can see he has a level head out there and is always thinking of ways to score, not just smash into opponents.

I get the feeling some are almost trying too hard, Collins, Miller, Rowell, Anderson, swallow a few that almost give so much effort it seems to affect their execution. Maybe why we are so high in contested stuff and not good outside of the contest. Lukosius can get criticism for going through the motions a bit but you can see he has a level head out there and is always thinking of ways to score, not just smash into opponents.
I personally agree with it. You always hear that team is training and working hard. I remember Murdoch from Cats was saying how hard boys work. Maybe too hard off-season in oppressive heat.

They looked all tight when the game got close and were afraid to make mistakes. That's why I liked Adrew move late in the game (instead of blasting the ball) resulting in score despite still not being there as a player.

Need a string of wins to boost confidence and relax.

Except when he lines ups less than 50m out from goal :(

But his field kicking is some of the most exciting stuff I have to watch. The two reasons we lost the second half is because he got the ball less and other players were forced to be our option, and Darcy destroyed Moyle in the middle.

Agree with the confidence thing. It does a lot. Players went too safe; even player like Weller who were taking good options early just stopped and kicked long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back