Review GC SUNS vs Port Adelaide - Scratch Match @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the mention of that 2014 final gives me the shits that was our flag that was pissed away with sh*t kicking and sh*t umpiring.

I agree it’s on the coach and coaching staff And I’d have sacked hinkley years ago, but I’m not excusing the players either.. the same culprits don’t turn up in big games.
We flushed the last playing group because the coaches thought 'the players lacked ticker'.

How have they renewed almost the entire list and have arrived back at the exact same 'the players lack ticker' outcome when there only a single constant between then and now.

The biggest positive for me was Butters. He struggled after his return from injury last season. He looked like the Butters of old, even better.

He’s a class act. And his tackling is as ferocious as ever. I thinks he’s the club’s most important player

Last edited:

We flushed the last playing group because the coaches thought 'the players lacked ticker'.

How have they renewed almost the entire list and have arrived back at the exact same 'the players lack ticker' outcome when there only a single constant between then and now.
Yes
The players remain unwilling to go "full Kern" with an outstanding game plan developed by the Maestro.
Sack the lot of them and start again.
Give Ken the cattle and he will deliver the goods.
By 2032.

Two things that is fundamentally wrong with our game plan

1. Our coached behaviour to kick the ball towards the boundary when going into forward 50. Solution = kick it to the hot spot and get front and centre.

2. Players taking marks 40m out from goal trying to kick it short 15m to another option. Solution = you are an AFL player surely you can make the distance accurately.

When I watched a quarter or so of the internal trial, I didn't post it, but I said to myself - this is bruise free footy. Sounds like a repeated effort today.
Absolutely. They also didn't handle the conditions very well. Jarrod Witts was saying the dew on the ground makes it essentially a wet weather game and they have the same conditions all the time for training. Nobody could hit a target and the tackiling was atrocious. While I am not too concerned, it annoys me that they put so much emphasis on a contested game and showed how we get beaten by the top teams.

1. Our coached behaviour to kick the ball towards the boundary when going into forward 50. Solution = kick it to the hot spot and get front and centre.

2. Players taking marks 40m out from goal trying to kick it short 15m to another option. Solution = you are an AFL player surely you can make the distance accurately.
problem is, port has been balls deep in damage mitigation since 2015.

1. Kick it to boundary to stop other team being able to turn the ball over in an attacking position
2. Kick it to a player in a better position to increase score %.

This game and the prelim are the only two games I haven't watched live due to work in about two years.
I'm glad for both.

problem is, port has been balls deep in damage mitigation since 2015.

1. Kick it to boundary to stop other team being able to turn the ball over in an attacking position
2. Kick it to a player in a better position to increase score %.
If it takes 2x 80% short passes to turn a 60% shot on goal to an 80% shot on goal, they're better off just having the 60% shot. Especially if it's say Marshall, Motlop, Farrell or Houston at 45m compared to Boak, Rozee or Dixon closer in.

Upper Brisbane river late November 2021
View attachment 1334725

February 26

View attachment 1334726
Bit more than wet. Wivenhoe Dam has gone from 59% of full drinking water storage capacity on Thursday when I asked you how the dam levels are, to 165% this morning at the premier's conference.

Given its now utilising flood storage compartment and if i have read the seqwater site correctly then;

2,080,000 ML is flood storage capacity and at the moment there is 1,923,330 ML - 1,165,240 ML full drinking water supply volume = 758,090 of that flood capacity utilised, and about 1,250,000 ML has entered the dam in less than 65 hours, what chance is there that a big release into the Brisbane River like 2011 happens in a couple of days time??

More importantly though, are you up on higher ground and safe from being flooded.

Last edited:
To give you an idea of how much water is in the Wivenhoe dam at the moment, SA wants 450 gigalitres restored to its Murray River Flow under the Murray Darling Basin Plan. its got about 2 gigalitres.

That is 450,000 ML. The dam at the moment has over 4 times that amount of water, and almost 3 times that amount of water has run into the dam in less than 72 hours.

Last edited:
If it takes 2x 80% short passes to turn a 60% shot on goal to an 80% shot on goal, they're better off just having the 60% shot. Especially if it's say Marshall, Motlop, Farrell or Houston at 45m compared to Boak, Rozee or Dixon closer in.
Its interesting that something like this has happened in the US NBA with 3 point shooting.

It’s weird, Chad Wingard is probably the most polarising Port player since Darren Smith — his detractors point to his horrific decision-making at the death in the 2017 Elimination Final, but without his clutch performances in a slew of massive games across 2013 and 2014 he’s probably still here and Hinkley’s long gone.

It’s funny how things shake out for better and worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s weird, Chad Wingard is probably the most polarising Port player since Darren Smith — his detractors point to his horrific decision-making at the death in the 2017 Elimination Final, but without his clutch performances in a slew of massive games across 2013 and 2014 he’s probably still here and Hinkley’s long gone.

It’s funny how things shake out for better and worse.
I like how he killed schulzs career to crowbar in dixon.

Then he tried to jimmy in ryder and lobbe, then ryder and lycett.

All while trying to turn the 120cm neade and s.gray into power forwards.

Then went on to sell off wingard, impey, ryder, Howard, ladhams and Co for magic beans.

Then structured a midget defence just to be found out against teams with not midget forwards.

While structuring a forward line one dimensional players like alex keith look like a future hall of farmer.

His decision making is like a practical decade long goatse demonstration.

Anecdotally I feel like we usually play pretty well in preseason games under Hinkley, conditional on the quality of team we send. Even in the infamous "deck-chair" game where we got trounced we sent our SANFL team and the result was mostly expected (apparently Kane Mitchell was our best player on that day haha).

Given that this was basically our best 22, missing a couple of injured players, its quite a shock to lose like we did. Add in the fact that we were playing bottom 4 bound Gold Coast, who we haven't lost to in over ten years, its especially shocking given our usual domination against these sorts of teams in recent times. Can anyone else recall such a terrible performance in a preseason game under Hinkley?

Then went on to sell off wingard, impey, ryder, Howard, ladhams and Co for magic beans.

Then structured a midget defence just to be found out against teams with not midget forwards.

While structuring a forward line one dimensional players like alex keith look like a future hall of farmer.

Charlie Dixon is not fit to tie Schulzy's bootlaces.

How could you forget the genius move of playing Boak on a half forward flank in his prime years, that's my personal favourite!

Anecdotally I feel like we usually play pretty well in preseason games under Hinkley, conditional on the quality of team we send. Even in the infamous "deck-chair" game where we got trounced we sent our SANFL team and the result was mostly expected (apparently Kane Mitchell was our best player on that day haha).

Given that this was basically our best 22, missing a couple of injured players, its quite a shock to lose like we did. Add in the fact that we were playing bottom 4 bound Gold Coast, who we haven't lost to in over ten years, its especially shocking given our usual domination against these sorts of teams in recent times. Can anyone else recall such a terrible performance in a preseason game under Hinkley?
On the flip side if we have traded losing non meaningful games for winning meaningful games if take that .

It was definitely a very worrying performance and I agree with many in that we haven’t earned the right to treat these games like they don’t matter.

However, this is normally the time of the year when GC is hot to trot. It’s about round 5 or 6 where s**t goes downhill for them but I actually rate their list and they may actually be a Smokey for the 8 this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be honest, no! Which makes me think that many players really didn't want to up the ante. In the past we've always treated pre-season games seriously.

In the first few minutes when the heat was on, I think most players thought no way will I miss round 1. For the Suns who aren't confident they'll be there in the finals, they obviously wanted to show us up. I forget it's only a practice match. I'll reserve my judgement for now

Already highlights the incredibly poor off season we had last year… get rid of the mobile athletic ruckman that plays like a midfielder, can play forward and kicks goals, now we are left with our ruck stocks heading into round one someone who hasn’t played a game, a drafted recruit who I don’t think has even played a senior game of footy yet, and a makeshift westhoff type in findlayson who isn’t a ruckman..
Did nothing to improve our midfield, which was our biggest weakness as highlighted in the prelim. Just relying on natural growth within… well that isn’t going to happen…

There really isn’t a lot to get excited about heading into the new season. It’s more of the same, if anything our list is clearly weaker.. we might still remain competitive but I think barely making the top 8 is all we can do from here.
Havent you come back posting with a bang!

1. We do actually do this alot - its just high in the air on Dixon's head and its *en hard to kick snapped goals from the crumbs with bodies everywhere.

2. 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back