Club Focus Geelong 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

There was an article the other day where the Hawks weren't even mentioned. It's purely a BigFooty rumour that he's going there.

Don't get me wrong, it could still happen, but after hearing that Hopper, Parish, Grundy, JDG, Brayshaw etc where all done deals to Geelong on here in the last two years, I'm not prepared to put any faith in it.

The actual 'In the know' posters on BigFooty would be 1 out of 100. It's almost always just some bloke talking s**t.
Yeah but being realistic isn't any fun

Of the free agents listed, I'd suggest that time's up (either player or club decision) for Tuohy, Hawkins, Bews, Stanley and (with no clear way back into the team outside of injury) probably Rohan. I wouldn't be shocked if Duncan hung them up and Cam Guthrie's probably one more medium-long term injury away from being borderline for this group as well. I'd like to keep everyone else, though of course, someone like Jeka will be on thin ice and if we pull the pin on him this year it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

We need a short-term, mature back-up ruck option to support Toby Conway and Mitch Edwards as they get more physically prepared to shoulder increased responsibility at AFL level and I wouldn't be against keeping Stanley for that if he was keen and his body holds up this year. Category B basketballer Joe Furphy is the right age and the right size to fill this role and from memory, he did actually have enough nous to play briefly with the Northern Knights, but who knows if he's anywhere near it, football-wise?

Apart from that, as far as bringing in imports, I feel like I'm okay with us not acquiring much of note, similar to the previous offseason. If we make a play for Bailey Smith, fine. But I'm not desperate for us to get him.

Obviously the impending departure of Hawkins will leave an enormous question mark, which will only increase when Cameron joins him in retirement 2-4 years later. We have options, but without much of a formline at AFL level. If O'Sullivan makes the transition to AFL relatively quickly, they may also consider reinventing Jack Henry as a forward, where he played quite a bit early in his career.

We haven't seen much of them at AFL level yet, but I think the likes of Shaun Mannagh, Mitch Hardie and Lawson Humphries could also be important cogs in the senior team for us in 2025. Knevitt's another player I like and I can see him adding another dimension in the midfield over the coming years to offset the bulls like Bruhn, Clark, Parfitt and Atkins who we'd expect to feature prominently.

I was prepared for anything this year: top four, bottom four, anything between. I'm still fairly certain that we'll have a (relatively) down couple of years in 25/26, though I think we still look pretty decent on paper. Then 2027 onwards is the great unknown, life beyond Cameron and Stewart.

Last edited:
Given his durability I still get the sense Blicavs could play a couple of twilight years as a KPF, both he and Neale able to chop out Conway in ruck. Knows where the goals are and fwd pressure would be a huge uptick on Hawk who we are never going to replace like for like. A forward 7 of:
Stengle - Blicavs - Cameron - Close - Neale - Henry - Miers would tick a few boxes come 2026.

Of the free agents listed, I'd suggest that time's up (either player or club decision) for Tuohy, Hawkins, Bews, Stanley and (with no clear way back into the team outside of injury) probably Rohan. I wouldn't be shocked if Duncan hung them up and Cam Guthrie's probably one more medium-long term injury away from being borderline for this group as well. I'd like to keep everyone else, though of course, someone like Jeka will be on thin ice and if we pull the pin on him this year it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

We need a short-term, mature back-up ruck option to support Toby Conway and Mitch Edwards as they get more physically prepared to shoulder increased responsibility at AFL level and I wouldn't be against keeping Stanley for that if he was keen and his body holds up this year. Category B basketballer Joe Furphy is the right age and the right size to fill this role and from memory, he did actually have enough nous to play briefly with the Northern Knights, but who knows if he's anywhere near it, football-wise?

Apart from that, as far as bringing in imports, I feel like I'm okay with us not acquiring much of note, similar to the previous offseason. If we make a play for Bailey Smith, fine. But I'm not desperate for us to get him.

Obviously the impending departure of Hawkins will leave an enormous question mark, which will only increase when Cameron joins him in retirement 2-4 years later. We have options, but without much of a formline at AFL level. If O'Sullivan makes the transition to AFL relatively quickly, they may also consider reinventing Jack Henry as a forward, where he played quite a bit early in his career.

We haven't seen much of them at AFL level yet, but I think the likes of Shaun Mannagh, Mitch Hardie and Lawson Humphries could also be important cogs in the senior team for us in 2025. Knevitt's another player I like and I can see him adding another dimension in the midfield over the coming years to offset the bulls like Bruhn, Clark, Parfitt and Atkins who we'd expect to feature prominently.

I was prepared for anything this year: top four, bottom four, anything between. I'm still fairly certain that we'll have a (relatively) down couple of years in 25/26, though I think we still look pretty decent on paper. Then 2027 onwards is the great unknown, life beyond Cameron and Stewart.
Hawkins might go on, although a flag would almost certainly leave him satisfied, same with Duncan.

Depending on how the club views Neale, he might get the push anyway, but a flag would be the perfect send-off for both parties.

Bews, Touhy, Rohan & even Stanley are quickly approaching the Higgins/Dalhaus category of 2022.

It's why we can't just go off list age, as there's 4 old guys who dilute the data, but they're not actually contributing to results.

We'll either be drafting heavy or trading heavy this year (we kept all our picks for a reason) so I think you're right, there will be a couple who will be told that time is up, regardless of how they feel.

Hawkins might go on, although a flag would almost certainly leave him satisfied, same with Duncan.

Depending on how the club views Neale, he might get the push anyway, but a flag would be the perfect send-off for both parties.

Bews, Touhy, Rohan & even Stanley are quickly approaching the Higgins/Dalhaus category of 2022.

It's why we can't just go off list age, as there's 4 old guys who dilute the data, but they're not actually contributing to results.

We'll either be drafting heavy or trading heavy this year (we kept all our picks for a reason) so I think you're right, there will be a couple who will be told that time is up, regardless of how they feel.

Yeah I'm probably in the minority, but I reckon the time is right for Hawkins and I'd be on favour of him getting the tap on the shoulder if necessary. And - full disclosure - I was saying the same this time last year... might have been premature then, retiring off the big fella.

Still, I think there needs to be a period where the next in line can establish himself in the side alongside Cameron, before Jezza starts to get close to retirement himself. I think there needs to be a clear path available in the team for Shannon Neale to make his own. Or Foster, or another candidate, if they force themselves in front of Neale as next in line.

Given his durability I still get the sense Blicavs could play a couple of twilight years as a KPF, both he and Neale able to chop out Conway in ruck. Knows where the goals are and fwd pressure would be a huge uptick on Hawk who we are never going to replace like for like. A forward 7 of:
Stengle - Blicavs - Cameron - Close - Neale - Henry - Miers would tick a few boxes come 2026.
Kpf is the one position I've not ready seen him work well in, but might be worth a shot.

I think Cameron, Neale, Henry is enough making targets though. I'd bring in Neale to retain the ground level players

I'll disagree on Stanley. He's been alright and I would be asking him to go again rather than chase some vfl dud as backup

Yeah I'm probably in the minority, but I reckon the time is right for Hawkins and I'd be on favour of him getting the tap on the shoulder if necessary. And - full disclosure - I was saying the same this time last year... might have been premature then, retiring off the big fella.

Still, I think there needs to be a period where the next in line can establish himself in the side alongside Cameron, before Jezza starts to get close to retirement himself. I think there needs to be a clear path available in the team for Shannon Neale to make his own. Or Foster, or another candidate, if they force themselves in front of Neale as next in line.
As you would know, Hawkins has barely touched it in his last couple of matches. Not writing him off, but he suddenly looked really old. Hoping he kicks a few goals against Carlton. We need him too. I'm sure he's smart enough not to try and play another year.

Tuohy definitely.
Rohan very likely (injuries this pre season)
Stanley probably (although that may force us to trade in a ruck)
Duncan 50/50 depending on his body
I get the feeling hawk (who will break the games record this year) and danger want to go on and will probably be allowed to.
I think bews will end up in the 2s this year and im not sure he will want to play for another club-it wouldnt surprise me to see him retire.

A lot of the other older guys are still contracted and critical so will stay (blicavs guthrie cameron and stewart mainly).
Well you were absolutely spot on about Bews. Hasn't even made the list of emergencies in 2024. I have never rated him as a player tbh.

As you would know, Hawkins has barely touched it in his last couple of matches. Not writing him off, but he suddenly looked really old. Hoping he kicks a few goals against Carlton. We need him too. I'm sure he's smart enough not to try and play another year.
One of those was a monsoon where no other kpf kicked a goal either. I think it's his last year, but let's not put him to pasture in April

I thought he was okay last week and he missed the opportunity to get his eye in against VFL opposition the week before. Well beaten by a good opponent (Liam Jones) the week before. I still think he has value and - depending on how many games he plays - 35+ goals for the year would be fine from him, with Henry, Cameron, Stengle and Close all kicking goals consistently.

Simply the fact that the Joneses of the world automatically go to him underlines his value, along with the preparation that opponents have to put in to combat his forward 50 ruckwork. In a given patch of four games going forward, I reckon we can count on him to have one quiet game and one stinker out of those four. That's still better than you're probably going to get for a run-of-the-mill key forward.

My preference with him finishing up at the end of this year is with the assumption that he's still playing decent footy. If it becomes questionable that he's giving more value than Neale would at any stage this year, well it becomes a no-brainer.

Rohan's an interesting one too, as I think you could feasibly go in with a forward line of Cameron, Henry, Rohan, Dempsey, Stengle and Close and against some opponents, that would present some nightmare match-ups. Also, Rohan's on 86 games for Geelong and 192 total. Does he make 100/200? I'd have no guess 'no' for the 100 games with the Cats at this stage, though he probably just gets the 200.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was an article the other day where the Hawks weren't even mentioned. It's purely a BigFooty rumour that he's going there.

Don't get me wrong, it could still happen, but after hearing that Hopper, Parish, Grundy, JDG, Brayshaw etc where all done deals to Geelong on here in the last two years, I'm not prepared to put any faith in it.

The actual 'In the know' posters on BigFooty would be 1 out of 100. It's almost always just some bloke talking s**t.

to be fair none of those guys were really reported as done deal except hopper. hopper had one foot in the door but changed his mind. Parish, Grundy and JDG all knocked back geelong genuine offers. So much for the lifestyle and land deals.

to be fair none of those guys were really reported as done deal except hopper. hopper had one foot in the door but changed his mind. Parish, Grundy and JDG all knocked back geelong genuine offers. So much for the lifestyle and land deals.
Not in the media, on BigFooty. That's my point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back