Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember where i saw the photo but Cadman and Jezza were having beers together in the offseason.
Sneaky bevy and putting in a good word with the young Country boy ;)
afl wink GIF
Get the boy home!!!

IMG_2903.png

You magnificent son of a bitch!
You found it! Was that post 2022 GF or was that this offseason?

Knew i had seen it before.
Harley Reid and Aaron Cadman.

Two Cats loving kids to be the next gen of Hoops legends :cool:
Believe it's '22 off-season.

Have no idea how Jez ended up sinking beers with an 18 year old, but the positive is he's in his ear early!!

The last 5 players that Geelong drafted who weren't mature age to make the AA 40 man squad were:
  • Blicavs (2011)
  • Guthrie (2010)
  • Motlop (2008)
  • Selwood (2006)
  • Hawkins (2006 - F/S)

5 players in 17 years, none for 13 years, all while they've been contending for finals so more likely to have AA players (unlike us, who have been s**t for the last 5-6 years).

Please explain to me how this is a sign of a team which is good at developing young talent?

The last 5 players that Geelong drafted who weren't mature age to make the AA 40 man squad were:
  • Blicavs (2011)
  • Guthrie (2010)
  • Motlop (2008)
  • Selwood (2006)
  • Hawkins (2006 - F/S)

5 players in 17 years, none for 13 years, all while they've been contending for finals so more likely to have AA players (unlike us, who have been s**t for the last 5-6 years).

Please explain to me how this is a sign of a team which is good at developing young talent?

Blicavs was mature aged too. Pretty worrying. I guess we'll have to cry into our premiership cups.

• Blicavs (2011)
  • Guthrie (2010)
  • Motlop (2008)
  • Selwood (2006)
  • Hawkins (2006 - F/S)

Geelong have a different mindset when it comes to "developing". They operate as a professional club and not an auskick program like many clubs seem to want to do.

I dont see why people think it is great to churn through dozens of 18yo kids to find the odd gem. Its a bizarre part of the AFL system really. Also why I think the SA teams want to join the VFL - so they can use the VFL as a development league and not the AFL which should be for adult professionals.

• Blicavs (2011)
  • Guthrie (2010)
  • Motlop (2008)
  • Selwood (2006)
  • Hawkins (2006 - F/S)

Makes it even worse that our young players outperformed Hawthorn's by a huge margin on Monday. All those bottom four years of stockpiling elite picks and rebuilding just to get usurped by a club that has no idea what it's doing with young players.

• Blicavs (2011)
  • Guthrie (2010)
  • Motlop (2008)
  • Selwood (2006)
  • Hawkins (2006 - F/S)

You just answered your own question. All the while contending.

Who writes this rule that they have to be superstars to be developed well?

BECAUSE we have been contending the whole time, we DONT get high draft picks, so we either pick relatively lower end young talent and try and squeeze the most out of it, or we pick mature aged players and a lot of them have been stars. If weren’t good at developing young talent, we would end up with a team that has 5-6 superstars and nothing below it that can never make the top four.

What is so hard to work out about that?

You seem so desperate to convince yourself of this whole myth that you will spin it any way you can to make it real.

• Blicavs (2011)
  • Guthrie (2010)
  • Motlop (2008)
  • Selwood (2006)
  • Hawkins (2006 - F/S)

Can be explained that just because you didn't come from the national draft as an 18yo doesn't mean you're not someone young that will need development. Talent also exists out of the AA side each year.

You don't win 4 flags and be top 4 H&A 16 out of the last 20 seasons if you're not 'good' at developing young talent.

Last edited:
Can be explained that just because you didn't come from the national draft as an 18yo doesn't mean you're not someone that will need development. Talent also exists out of the AA side each year.

You don't win 4 flags and be top 4 H&A 16 out of the last 20 seasons if you're not 'good' at developing young talent.
Sure you can win premierships and all Australians with mature aged recruits. But you can't win any bigfooty arguments with mature aged recruits and we all know that's what really matters.

• Blicavs (2011)
  • Guthrie (2010)
  • Motlop (2008)
  • Selwood (2006)
  • Hawkins (2006 - F/S)

We get way more AA selections than Hawthorn in general so I guess can always fall back on old and good being better than young and s**t.

You should already know that making many late and rookie picks good solid AFL footballers is a success even if they aren't making the AA squad. When you have 5 or so entries from Dangerfield, Hawkins, Selwood, Stewart and Guthrie of course you aren't also going to have kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How tf was this thread started by a Crows supporter? Their entire rebuild is predicated on poaching SA players from Northern clubs for unders, and based on what I'm seeing in 2024 the AFC couldn't develop film in a kodak store.
Based on the username I have a suspicion why.

patrick dangerfield tea GIF by geelongcats

How tf was this thread started by a Crows supporter? Their entire rebuild is predicated on poaching SA players from Northern clubs for unders, and based on what I'm seeing in 2024 the AFC couldn't develop film in a kodak store.
Yep. Ignorant dipsh!t Demons and Carlton fans having a go here and other threads and saying 'look at so and so from us' also amusing. Both teams needing two sustained periods of being atrociously shite (and the billion priority and or top picks that come with it) before finally being decent.

One of the most remarkable stories in football will add another chapter this weekend, when Mark Blicavs plays his 250th AFL game against the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night.

The journey from middle distance runner and steeplechaser to Cats champion has been nothing short of extraordinary, with Blicavs becoming an All Australian and a Premiership player in his 12 years at Geelong.

Blicavs was picked as a Category B Rookie in the 2011 draft, beginning his AFL career in the opening round of the 2013 season before playing 22 games in his first year at the top level.

The versatile Blicavs’ rapid ascension in football was highlighted during the 2015 season, when he won his first Carji Greeves Medal in just his third year of AFL football.

Blicavs spoke during the week about his AFL career, touching on some of the biggest influences that helped to shape his game when he arrived at Geelong.

“I'm very fortunate that Chris Scott, the Geelong Football Club and Stephen Wells gave me the opportunity to learn and play footy at this club,” Blicavs said.

“I have tried to learn as much as I can from everyone around me, it's been a very enjoyable journey and something I will look back on very fondly.

I feel like my improvement was fast tracked, and that was due to the club and the players around me.

I really gravitated to Andrew Mackie, Harry Taylor and Max Rooke early and continued to ask questions to understand the game.”

Blicavs quickly proved to be a versatile asset for the Cats, playing numerous positions ranging anywhere from full back to half forward during his 12 seasons with the club.

Along with his Carji Greeves Medal in 2015, the 33 year old added a second club best and fairest award in 2018 along with an All Australian selection in 2022.

Blicavs played a vital role in the Cats 2022 Premiership, averaging 18 disposals and five tackles per game while supporting Rhys Stanley in the ruck throughout the year.

Cats coach, Chris Scott spoke on Blicavs career and the incredible legacy he has built throughout his time at the club.

"It's a remarkable career,” Scott said.

“If you go back to the first meeting we had, we sort of made the decision based off a recommendation from Cam and Zach Guthrie's Dad who coached Mark as a junior.

He has worked out to be critical to the way we have played.

In his second year he came in and played round one, then never looked back.

He is a great example for our younger players, all our players really with his capacity and desire to learn and if any player wanted to learn from the best, I'd suggest going to Mark."

Blicavs will run out for his 250th career game this Saturday night, when the Cats take on the Western Bulldogs at Adelaide Oval.

WHEN Mark Blicavs arrived at Geelong, the one-time Olympic running hopeful couldn't play AFL at all, according to his coach Chris Scott.

But Scott is glad to have been proven wrong, rating Blicavs' looming 250-game milestone as "one of more extraordinary stories" of the modern AFL.

Riding high from a 36-point win against Hawthorn in celebration of Tom Hawkins' 350th game, the Cats are aiming for another milestone party when they take on the Western Bulldogs at Adelaide Oval on Saturday.

The versatile midfielder-defender will spearhead the undefeated Cats across the ground with powerhouses Patrick Dangerfield and Cam Guthrie out with injuries.

Looking back on the 12 years since the club took a gamble on the now 33-year-old, Scott admits Blicavs' chances of playing one game – let alone 250 – were slim.

"This sounds terrible (but) we went in with low expectations," Scott said on Thursday.

"I had serious doubts from the start because he was coming from so far back, but we knew that. It was the accelerating improvement that gave us so much hope.

"It was one season and then after that, he was away and basically never out of the team.

"That was so hard to foresee when we brought him in because he couldn't play at all.

"In my mind, all things considered, it's one of the most extraordinary stories of the modern era."

Blicavs was a middle-distance runner chasing an Olympic dream before Geelong came knocking on his door.

It was Guthrie's father Andrew who brought up Blicavs' name, having coached him as an under-11s player.

Drafted in the 2012 rookie draft and debuting in the opening round of the 2013 season, Blicavs has since taken out two club best-and-fairests, an All-Australian nod and the 2022 premiership.

"It was just an offhand comment (from Andrew Guthrie). The way it was relayed to me: 'The best player in our team back in the under-11s was this guy who is now 198 centimetres and he's trying to run middle distance at the Olympics. If he ever went back to footy, I reckon he'd be OK'," Scott recalled.

"That's one of the hallmarks of the way Stephen Wells (Geelong recruiting manager) has approached his job over the years – the one in a million is worth pursuing."

Blicavs said the transition from athletics back to football had several challenges, not least getting used to the at-times brutal nature of a contact sport.

"When I first got to the club, I remember Maxy Rooke telling me 'this is the best you'll ever feel in your football career. You'll be sore all the time'," he said.

"Early days I got a corkie in my leg and I think I was out for three weeks.

"That was sort of the big challenge, coming from a non-contact sport, and from then I just wanted to try and make sure I'm healthy, I'm available and when it is my turn to step up and play, I'm there to do it. I think I've done that quite well over my time."

It's a cycle.

Geelong draft players and incrementally improve them year on year until they become good AFL players.

Because they are not flashy top 10 picks they don't start at a high base or with fan fare from the media or opposition supporters.

When Scott started he has brought through Duncan, Guthrie and Blicavs.

They improved year on year and when they reached their mid 20s they were good AFL footballers.

The only time the outside world recognises them as good footballers is when they turn 30 and Geelong are going to lose them and fall off a cliff.

The players that are hitting their mid twenties now like Jack Henry, Zac Guthrie, Gryan Miers have developed into good AFL players from late ND / rookie picks. There would be very few neutrals that would recognise what they have developed into.

Rinse repeat with the next generation moving forward in Holmes, Dempsey and Conway.

There would be very few teams that could put together a list of players drafted at pick 20 or above that could match what Geelong have done.

We have stayed up precisely because we can develop young players.

It's a cycle.

Geelong draft players and incrementally improve them year on year until they become good AFL players.

Because they are not flashy top 10 picks they don't start at a high base or with fan fare from the media or opposition supporters.

When Scott started he has brought through Duncan, Guthrie and Blicavs.

They improved year on year and when they reached their mid 20s they were good AFL footballers.

The only time the outside world recognises them as good footballers is when they turn 30 and Geelong are going to lose them and fall off a cliff.

The players that are hitting their mid twenties now like Jack Henry, Zac Guthrie, Gryan Miers have developed into good AFL players from late ND / rookie picks. There would be very few neutrals that would recognise what they have developed into.

Rinse repeat with the next generation moving forward in Holmes, Dempsey and Conway.

There would be very few teams that could put together a list of players drafted at pick 20 or above that could match what Geelong have done.

We have stayed up precisely because we can develop young players.
For tldr;

Stephen Wells > Any other team's scouting/drafting record.

How did Geelong manage to develop a slow, small, forward pocket with a wonky kicking technique from the Geelong Falcons taken at pick 57 into the best playmaker in the league? Some scribes have even taken to calling him Gryan 'Messi' Miers such is his elite vision and skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back