Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but with Joel, Mitch and Danger we may wear them down with multiple entries. That was our secret in the past (one of them).

It was multiple things.

For one, move the ball QUICKLY. The second factor was isolating our key forwards, so that either Hawkins or Podsiadly or even Ottens on occasion was against one opponent. Both those things need to be done.

Last year round one saw perhaps the worst bit of coaching from Scott's period so far at Geelong - playing Duncan as a negating tagger on Hill. Unfortunately it continued for another two weeks before he finally realised the futility of it. At least in this year's game we should see Duncan played as a true creative midfielder - where he potentially can become an elite player of the comp.

I'm not saying that this move alone cost us the game - they were too good over most areas of the ground - but it was an important "stuff up" nevertheless.

Last year round one saw perhaps the worst bit of coaching from Scott's period so far at Geelong - playing Duncan as a negating tagger on Hill. Unfortunately it continued for another two weeks before he finally realised the futility of it. At least in this year's game we should see Duncan played as a true creative midfielder - where he potentially can become an elite player of the comp.

I'm not saying that this move alone cost us the game - they were too good over most areas of the ground - but it was an important "stuff up" nevertheless.

And CS admitted it as much - but it took a month to fail. But he did call it a bad idea.
Mind you - theres about 4000 posts on here over that month that said the exact same thing.

It wont be an issue this year….

(holds breath)

Go Catters

It's up there. But at most I'd say second worst. The worst was the year before when he put Blicavs on Hill. In a final.

and they have some of the fittest midfielders in the league which means they can do a little more than usual. Smith will be helping out in defence as he often does linking up with Birchall creating attacking runs on the wings and I think we will also see Gunston drop back to help out just as he has started to do last year. He actually looks a very natural defender as his aerial skills are sublime.
Shoenmakers appears to be a forward these days so I don't imagine seeing him back there again when we play them.

In the end, it will come down to how well our forwards can work with one another. If it's Hawkins and Vardy, they will need to slot 8 goals between them. If it's Clark and Hawkins, a little less given Clark is a bit more proficient in impacting each contest providing scoring opportunities to our small forwards.
It all starts in the middle, we need to be better in that area, can't let them chop us up there anymore.

Need to play man on man. Zones do not work against the Hawks. We play a zone it won't matter what the forwards needs to do. We lost it at that point.

I am looking forward to the 2 or 3 cheapies Hawthorn have enjoyed this last year or two drying up. Direct or almost direct from centre bounces/clearances.

This has killed us as we toiled away for our goals only for them to sweep the ball away from clearances to score easily.

I am also a fan of one on one pressure when playing the Hawks. We will know 2 minutes into season 2016 whether this will be part of our armoury or we continue to back our systems in.

Not really.
Remember round 1 2011?
Takes atleast a month for tactics and players to settle into a season.

It's up there. But at most I'd say second worst. The worst was the year before when he put Blicavs on Hill. In a final.

True. That was always going work. When fit I'd probably put S.Selwood on him now. Though they may feel he's better utilised on Mitchell. Personally I reckon if you shut Hill and Smith out of the game you have the Hawks beaten 8/10 times.

True. That was always going work. When fit I'd probably put S.Selwood on him now. Though they may feel he's better utilised on Mitchell. Personally I reckon if you shut Hill and Smith out of the game you have the Hawks beaten 8/10 times.

Maybe. I'll believe it when I see it.

In any case, Scott Selwood is unlikely to be available for Round 1, and that's the only time we face Hawthorn. Maybe next year.

In any case, Scott Selwood is unlikely to be available for Round 1, and that's the only time we face Hawthorn. Maybe next year.
I believe it. R22 2014. First half they had 11 touches combined and we had shut down their strength. Uncontested possessions. Led by 33.

2nd half both those players got on top and we were overran. Ended with 34 touches combined. Lost by 23.

Shutting down their outside runners curtails them as they are as slow as treacle otherwise. As long as you play man on man of course, which we did that night.

Be it Hawthorn or any club, Hawkins needs some support from another tall forward who the Hawks won't peel off. Pods always played pretty well against them, ditto when Mooney was in the side too.

Whether it's Clark, or Vardy or Henderson or Stanley, or Menzel, there's got to be someone Gibson needs to be accountable for and can't roll off. Someone small with some strong forward pressure would be terrific to have as well so if it does spill to ground it creates a stoppage. Cockatoo, Gregson? Probably designated for midfield roles I assume.

One on One one of Hawkins great assets is that he rarely loses a contest. It generally either spills, he marks, or, he gives away a free kick...
This. Even if our kicking is better, if Hawkins is the only one threatening Gibson will just zone off and do his piss weak double fists 2v1 at every opportunity. Need to keep all the Hawks backs accountable.

I'm not sure then we have too many options to play on them. Lang? Hopefully he will step up to another level again this season. Quick and is pretty good defensively. The other we probably will just go head to head with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guthrie, Thurlow or Menegola could be good options if S.Selwood isn't available.
I think in contrast to when we won so many games against the Hawks this time it'll be mids/smaller forwards that worry them. Menzel, Gregson, Lang, Motlop, Dangerfield, Duncan and others.
Quick ball movement out of the centre and different options in the forward line.

Unless multiple disasters happen between now and round 1 we should have some able support for Hawkins and some unlucky players that miss out.
We got bullied in round 1 last year the Hawks went after Cockatoo, Clark, Motlop and others that won't happen again this year. I really hope we have both Selwood boys there with Dangerfield as they will set the tone with hard attacks on the ball and man.

I really like the idea of the two Selwood boys and Danger starting in the middle. As you say, opposition teams will quite literally have to fight for first possession.

The only other thing we need is two strong wingman to nullify/win the outside contest and then we'd be flying pretty straight.

It comes down a bit to players awareness too, so often against Hawks (had to watch some of their matches as the missus is a supporter) would teams just bomb the ball without looking to where they would think the key forward is and by then someone has peeled off their man to make the spoil, leaving a teammate free.
If Gibson wants to peel off Vardy, Clark, whoever, fine let him hopefully our players then start looking for the free man. Its been a problem the past few years seeing us bomb it and hope to Hawkins.

Krock football posted an article in the training stating he's pushing to be able to play at least some NAB cup. So I'd say R1 is a possibility.

Good to hear. I'm liking your optimism around the place as well mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back