Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside game vs Sam Mitchell. Which do you tag?
Mitchell would be my number one focus he rarely wastes it and those who are saying you can't guard space against the Hawks short game are spot on, you need to pressure the ball carrier and cut off the short option, make them kick longer to a contest and force the turn over to be any chance at all.

For Round 1 we don't really have anyone to tag either.
If we can set up better at the centre bounce to impede his path to ball it would be a start, personally I see this as a great role for Blitz this year to get his body between the oppositions best clearance player and the ball while clearing a path for the likes of Selwood,Dangerfield,Duncan and any other extractors we may use.

If we can set up better at the centre bounce to impede his path to ball it would be a start, personally I see this as a great role for Blitz this year to get his body between the oppositions best clearance player and the ball while clearing a path for the likes of Selwood,Dangerfield,Duncan and any other extractors we may use.

Around clearances I agree with you, Blicavs ability in tight is very good, and I reckon an ideal match up on Mitchell in the center, from there though I think Mitchell is far too smart for him and would kill him on the outside.
Although, with Blicavs trajectory of improvement since his debut I wouldn't be surprised if he stops him having a disposal all game...

Guthrie, Thurlow or Menegola could be good options if S.Selwood isn't available.
I think in contrast to when we won so many games against the Hawks this time it'll be mids/smaller forwards that worry them. Menzel, Gregson, Lang, Motlop, Dangerfield, Duncan and others.
Quick ball movement out of the centre and different options in the forward line.
I wonder what kid or draftee the mc or scott will back in to debut v the hawks. Last yr it was cocky, who do you think it will other than patty, hendo, smith and less likely scooter?

I wonder what kid or draftee the mc or scott will back in to debut v the hawks. Last yr it was cocky, who do you think it will other than patty, hendo, smith and less likely scooter?
Cant see it being anyone this year, even players like horlin smith, cockatoo murdock ect might be struggling for a spot round 1. Id have to say the only outdide chance would be mengola.

Nothing left field I hope,I give us an outside chance of an up set rd1 if the list stays healthy

I don't know how we will set-up exactly but with Lake and Hale gone, and you factor in Geelong's new recruits I think this makes it nearly a 50/50 game heading into Round 1.

Without Brian Lake now we are about a 1-2 goal worser side in defense and Hale was good for about goal a game.

Add Dangerfield and Henderson who avergae just over a goal a game, Zac Smith in the ruck, this is now looking more and more likely to be even money ball game as Geelong have added players who are all best 22 and about to enter the prime of their careers.

If Josh Gibson plays on Hawkins we will lose. Whilst Frawley is good on his day, he is anywhere near the level of what Lake was when it comes to defending.

Assuming there's no injuries to either side from now until Round 1, there's going to be some great match-ups.

Geelong forwards vs Hawthorn defense
Menzel vs Birchall
Hawkins vs Frawley
Clark vs Spangher
Henderson vs Gibson
Bartel vs Hodge
Caddy vs Stratton

Cats midfield vs Hawks midfield
Duncan vs I.Smith
Motlop vs B.Hill
S.Selwood vs Mitchell
J.Selwood vs Lewis
Dangerfield vs Shiels
Z.Smith vs McEvoy

Cats defense vs Hawks forwards
Lonergan vs Gunston
Taylor vs Roughead
Mackie vs Burgoyne
Bews vs Breust
Enright vs Rioli
Thurlow vs Puopolo

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really.
Remember round 1 2011?
Takes atleast a month for tactics and players to settle into a season.

We will know a short time into this Rd1 game whether a more one on one / contested approach is part of any game plan tweaks made for 2016.
As I said I think Hawthorn struggle most when time afforded them when disposing of the ball is limited. Allowing them to pick zones apart is asking for trouble.

No one can be sure this contested approach will work if carried out well (or even if we can implement it well in a Rd 1 game). I just think this is the first [and most obviously needed opportunity] we have to air such a changed gameplan.

Rd 1 2011 v St Kilda? Not sure what your point is here and would genuinely like to know. The game was very tight / ugly even. Lyon was involved. Was this an example of not being able to implement a game plan in round 1?

Last edited:
On tagging outside runners (Hill and Smith) v inside providers.

Hill and Smith win only a small percentage of their own ball. They run hard to position to receive. Unless you tag like Crowley ie. prevent free running by scrag/block/grapple etc they will always win out if normal supply lines are open.

We need to cut off their supply and if possible have someone accountable for them to make sure that if they are presented a possession they are under some sort of pressure as and after they deliver the ball.

If Scooter plays - I hope he goes to Mitchell. Fringe 22 player on top 5 player. Our best bet.

Last year round one saw perhaps the worst bit of coaching from Scott's period so far at Geelong - playing Duncan as a negating tagger on Hill. Unfortunately it continued for another two weeks before he finally realised the futility of it. At least in this year's game we should see Duncan played as a true creative midfielder - where he potentially can become an elite player of the comp.

I'm not saying that this move alone cost us the game - they were too good over most areas of the ground - but it was an important "stuff up" nevertheless.
It's up there. But at most I'd say second worst. The worst was the year before when he put Blicavs on Hill. In a final.

The only person to blame for Duncans poor performance in a negating roll is Duncan himself . Geelong has not had an established tagger since Ling retired ,Duncan has enough experience behind him that he should be able to play a negating role competently.

Part of the logic behind playing him in a negating role was probably to help him improve the defensive part of his game , which is a brilliant bit of coaching.

Blicavs was worth a try as we don't have an ideal candidate to play on Hill , however Blicavs didn't have the experience that Duncan had so he shouldn't be judged as harshly.

Bottom line is that for this Geelong side to go forward players such as Duncan,Caddy,Motlop,Blicavs,Guthrie and Murdoch must step up and be held responsible for their performance .

I think it'll be harder this season with the new recruits and less injuries so far but if Scott doesn't get up for round 1. Then Menegola could be a chance he is a bit older and has the fitness and strength to be able to play straight away. Could play either a defensive mid role or half forward applying some forward pressure and shutting down someone like Burchell.

We will know a short time into this Rd1 game whether a more one on one / contested approach is part of any game plan tweaks made for 2016.
As I said I think Hawthorn struggle most when time afforded them when disposing of the ball is limited. Allowing them to pick zones apart is asking for trouble.

No one can be sure this contested approach will work if carried out well (or even if we can implement it well in a Rd 1 game). I just think this is the first [and most obviously needed opportunity] we have to air such a changed gameplan.

Rd 1 2011 v St Kilda? Not sure what your point is here and would genuinely like to know. The game was very tight / ugly even. Lyon was involved. Was this an example of not being able to implement a game plan in round 1?

My point was just how different we played in round 1 of that year vs the majority of the rest of it. I find it difficult to look at round 1 for a hard answer to pre season questions and give up (or rejoice) over what we see. If you are only looking for an idea or a hint of a gameplan, then that's fine and correct thinking.

No, but our piss-weak forward line and delivery into it will mean that they'll be able to have three players sitting on Hawkins, rendering him ineffective as has been the case the last few games.
Hawkins, Clark or Vardy, Menzel, Motlop, Cockatoo, Lang, Gregson- not that weak in my book, if they all start.
Delivery from Mackie, Duncan, Thurlow, Selwood, Guthrie, Murdoch..not so shabby; we know Danger is a sprayer, but if we get it up there quickly enough, Hawkins/Vardy could wreak havoc

I'm sure hawthorn will welcome pd to these games....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Which quarter do you think Mitchell will try to cork him in?

Which quarter do you think Mitchell will try to cork him in?
They saw first hand in the pre lim last yr....i'm thinking first 5 either mitchell or jordy lewis....but wait drewaya might think he needs an experienced gun on his to-down list!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back