Rumour Geelong have made an offer to Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

No, that was what you said. Not I.

I was merely pointing out the way in which Hawthorn don't **** other clubs over, by completing fair trades.
But you did *** us over, of course you did - man up.

I would hope our club would do the same. And if we did I would put my hand up and say yep.

It's business that's all. Why dress it up

But you did *** us over, of course you did - man up.

I would hope our club would do the same. And if we did I would put my hand up and say yep.

It's business that's all. Why dress it up
You're looking it at from an emotional point of view, completely disregarding the way in which the trade was done and stating "we lost a good player, therefore we were ****ed over".

As I originally said, Hawthorn have made a habit of being fair and reasonable when trading, giving up picks for players without the drawn out games of the 'trade week'.

You're looking it at from an emotional point of view, completely disregarding the way in which the trade was done and stating "we lost a good player, therefore we were stuffed over".

As I originally said, Hawthorn have made a habit of being fair and reasonable when trading, giving up picks for players without the drawn out games of the 'trade week'.
Hawthorn have done exceptionally well by targeting players and having a good set up and a successful team. Good on them but in weighing up the deals Hawthorn generally wins. The fact you think the deal was fair and the Adelaide supporters feel they got stiffed proves the point.

They're reputation amongst other clubs has been enhanced due to the fact that they trade fairly once a player nominates Hawthorn as their new home.
Examples?

I think you're bordering on delusional.

I can name McEvoy off the top of my head.

Hawthorn have done exceptionally well by targeting players and having a good set up and a successful team. Good on them but in weighing up the deals Hawthorn generally wins. The fact you think the deal was fair and the Adelaide supporters feel they got stiffed proves the point.
Adelaide supporters think they got stiffed because they lost a good forward, not that Hawthorn screwed them around and played games. That's the point.

What were the trades?
Add junior burger to that list. As much as it sucked at the time hawthorn didn't try to screw us over. I wouldn't say it was a comprehensively equitable trade, but those types of trades are usually exceedingly rare.

I'm beginning to think you really believe what you're writing:eek:
Show me where or how Hawthorn were difficult to trade with in regards to Gunston? C'mon?

Adelaide said this is what we want in return, and Hawthorn gave it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Examples?

I think you're bordering on delusional.

I can name McEvoy off the top of my head.

Gave up #21 + #41 for Lake + #27
Gave up #24, #46, + #64 for Gunston , #53, + #71.
Gave up #19 + #43 for O'Rourke
Gave up Savage + #17 for McEvoy
Gave up #19 + #71 for Hale + #52
Gave up #25 + #42 for Gibson + #69
Gave up #9 + #16 for Burgoyne (* in a complicated 4-way trade)

Bear in mind too, a lot of these we were roundly criticised for at the time. We were thought to have sold the farm for a 27yo with dodgy knees coming off an average season (Burgoyne), Gibbo North fans assured us wasn't even in their best 22, and Hale actually was legitimately playing 2's from memory.

*Hope that's all correct- was from a quick google search.

Gave up #27 + #71 for Hale + #52

Bear in mind too, a lot of these we were roundly criticised for at the time. We were thought to have sold the farm for a 27yo with dodgy knees coming off an average season (Burgoyne), Gibbo North fans assured us wasn't even in their best 22, and Hale actually was legitimately playing 2's from memory.

*Hope that's all correct- was from a quick google search.
EFA.

Cheers. I knew it was end-of-first-rounder and for some reason was thinking #19.
Yeah I think the Gold Coast concessions pushed it out. Not a great deal for North considering what Hale has achieved at Hawthorn but he was a bit too lumbering to fit in a side with Goldstein in the ruck at Petrie at FF. Harper's still on the list though, not particularly confident that he'll return to the AFL in any meaningful way but hopefully he'll give this year all he's got.

Yeah I think the Gold Coast concessions pushed it out. Not a great deal for North considering what Hale has achieved at Hawthorn but he was a bit too lumbering to fit in a side with Goldstein in the ruck at Petrie at FF. Harper's still on the list though, not particularly confident that he'll return to the AFL in any meaningful way but hopefully he'll give this year all he's got.
What has actually happened to that bloke? He showed heaps of promise in 2012 but hasn't fired a shot since. I thought he was going to become a good player for your mob!

What has actually happened to that bloke? He showed heaps of promise in 2012 but hasn't fired a shot since. I thought he was going to become a good player for your mob!
Other players have gone past him since he's had ongoing ankle problems that have affected his explosiveness and still hasn't developed a propensity to find enough of the ball at AFL level.

Oh stop it, now you're embarrassing yourself. Don't make me trot out Gunston's 2011 stats.

The point you were making included an assertion that Hawthorn are somehow morally superior than other sides - when Hawthorn target a player, convince him to leave his club and join them, then trade accordingly - they somehow execute this plan in a far fairer way than other clubs.

All I'm saying is that rubbish. Hawthorn play as hard and ruthless as any other club, probably worse. Now instead of you getting your panties in a twist, you should see that I've no issue with this, good on your club for getting things done.

But lets not dress it up into something it's not.
I've read what you have both said and I'll happily admit, out of all our recent trades, we got Gunston at an absolute steal and obviously won that trade.

The other trades, especially Lake, McEvoy and Hale we paid more than fairly and the other clubs see the first 2 especially as a win-win.

Even Burgoyne we effectively gave up 9 and 16 for him which at the time waa roundly critisized due to his knee issues. Gibbo has turned out to be a steal but I doubt either club would have realised how good he would become.

The last few years our trades have been done early on in the week because we don't try and screw clubs over and we pay fairly. McEvoy and Lake trades prove this. I'm actually related to a recruiting staff member of an interstate side and he reckons the best few clubs and recruiting managers to deal with are Graham Wright (Hawthorn), Stephen Wells (Geelong) and Derek Hine (Collingwood). The Collingwood one may surprise but he says Derek is a great guy and is good to deal with, however he gets a lot of pressure from above to make sure Collingwood don't get shafted ever.

Any guesses at the worst and most difficult? Dodoro (Essendon)

The Gunston trade is the only recent one where at the time people thought we got an absolute steal for what we gave up. The rest were mostly critisized at the time or thought of as more than a fair deal.

Agree - but how many times are the Hawks brought up in the Danger conversations. They are but nothing like GFC is. The media is driving this not the GFC.

GO Catters

How often were sydney mentioned re Tippett or buddy. The media just write stories using terms like 'understood' or 'expected' to fill space and generate cash. One thing is certain, if he's agreed in principal anywhere, you can bet that, unless it's Adelaide, it won't be leaked to the press.

If Danger goes it will most likely be through trade as Adelaide should be able to match most offers made for him. Especially if it's Geelong as they've already stated they can't afford to pay him his market value. (Meaning their offer will likely be very similar to ours and it becomes purely a 'come home' thing). If that happens I just hope the club can get a trade done that's at least remotely fair.

Gave up #19 + #71 for Hale + #52

A few days late but you guys actually upgraded Pick 24 and Pick 59 to pick 19 (buddy compo) as well as part of that trade so more then fair I reckon. Send us more picks please next trade. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back