Preview Geelong V Essendon - The Scott Cup - Sat 15th July 725pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
These Scott Cup's are not new.

We've been thru them all before.

But this one feels a little different - there is more at stake here.

Prob not since the 2014 SF has the Scott Cup meant this much.

The Dons appear to have, after about 30 years, finally pulled their heads from the arses enough to be competitive and a strong chance to make the Finals.
They are talented. they are hungry and we've all seen the memes about Moses on the mountain top with the rocks doing that more recently that the Dons in the Finals.

So they will be motivated and ready to play hard good footy to win - and full credit to them for getting to this point.

It also means that with a little success the Black and Red army having taken notes from the Black and Yellow army and are beginning to sook about the game being in Geelong... lol

Too ******* bad. Our home game at our dung heap. Build the bridge and drive down the highway.

We should get Jezza back and apart from BLitz getting subbed for management more than anything and PFD getting a knock to the knee ( that could be an amputation by Wednesday the way we get injury info from them) we should have most of the non long term likes available. Smith should also be available.

All that leads to a bit of a log jam on the interchange bench but its a nice problem to have for about the first time this year it seems.

The Dons will be willing - and able - to give us a run for our money and if we start piss farting around trying to get Reg a goal then we'll lose - and we should lose with that crap.

WE need the 4 points again - its like an 8 point game knocking the Bombers off

GO Catters

Edit - Miers 100th game this week as well!

Last edited:
The Bombers are playing well, and if the Cats win this game, it will go a long way in convincing me that the team is starting to regain its mojo. But if we lose this game, my pessimistic outlook for the season remains.

Last edited:

I feel like we win this one. I haven't followed the Bombers much since our last game against them. I was at that game and it wasn't a very impressive showing by Essendon.

Anybody know when we last lost to Essendon down at Geelong?

I feel like we win this one. I haven't followed the Bombers much since our last game against them. I was at that game and it wasn't a very impressive showing by Essendon.

Anybody know when we last lost to Essendon down at Geelong?
Round 21, 1993 :D

To be fair, though, we've only played there once since at least the turn of the century I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won’t be easy. Bombers playing very well. Cameron in will be a big help. Smith, Kolo. Duncan must be just about right to play a full game well and that’d be handy! Could be a cracker of a game.

It makes me happy when an emerging young team has a good win before a big visit down the highway.

These are the conditions I like for a Geelong home game against a good side.

I expect Geelong to win this, but Essendon might turn the tables on us at the MCG in the finals.

How many more years are we going to be subjected to this spurious nonsense? Can't wait until we're regularly hosting 11 actual home games each season (like every other team in the comp has the chance to do) and footy's silliest narrative eventually dies its deserved death.

#itscalledahomegame
#theclueisinthename
#getoverityouuttersooks

These Scott Cup's are not new.

We've been thru them all before.

But this one feels a little different - there is more at stake here.

Prob not since the 2014 SF has the Scott Cup meant this much.

The Dons appear to have, after about 30 years, finally pulled their heads from the arses enough to be competitive and a strong chance to make the Finals.
They are talented. they are hungry and we've all seen the memes about Moses on the mountain top with the rocks doing that more recently that the Dons in the Finals.

So they will be motivated and ready to play hard good footy to win - and full credit to them for getting to this point.

It also means that with a little success the Black and Red army having taken notes from the Black and Yellow army and are beginning to sook about the game being in Geelong... lol

Too ******* bad. Our home game at our dung heap. Build the bridge and drive down the highway.

We should get Jezza back and apart from BLitz getting subbed for management more than anything and PFD getting a knock to the knee ( that could be an amputation by Wednesday the way we get injury info from them) we should have most of the non long term likes available. Smith should also be available.

All that leads to a bit of a log jam on the interchange bench but its a nice problem to have for about the first time this year it seems.

The Dons will be willing - and able - to give us a run for our money and if we start piss farting around trying to get Reg a goal then we'll lose - and we should lose with that crap.

WE need the 4 points again - its like an 8 point game knocking the Bombers off

GO Catters

Edit - Miers 100th game this week as well!
I'll be there in the RHS for my first game in years. I am not sure that is a good thing for the team, but it is what it is.

Looking forward to it and as you say Daz we are nearly full strength for personnel if not form. I'll see if I can get a few into Parish's old man (won't be hard) and have a convo with him. He is a top bloke.

Round 21, 1993 :D

To be fair, though, we've only played there once since at least the turn of the century I reckon

Incorrect

The only 2 games i can remember Ess beating Geel at KP were as follows - and i went to both

1979 - Crackers Keenan won the game that day for Ess - and the final margin was a point - Crackers played CHF in the last qtr opposed to Jack Hawkins ( Toms father ) and Crackers took about 3 really strong one grab marks up the City end - and kicked goals with them

1982 - Ess won easily - 2 reasons for that - the aarse had fallen right out of Geel - and Ess were on the verge ( 84/85) of being a Premiership power

I went to an Ess v Geel - way back in 1968 out at Windy Hill - Geel got hammered - but its funny/strange how your brain works/remembers things - but the one thing i can still visualise from that game - is Gareth Andrews (Geel) in the 2nd qtr - he had hold of the ball - and he strode up to the Central umpire - holding the ball aloft complaining that the ball was flat - then Barry Davis ( Ess) kicked a 60 metre drop kick with it - and the crowd laughed

Incorrect

The only 2 games i can remember Ess beating Geel at KP were as follows - and i went to both

1979 - Crackers Keenan won the game that day for Ess - and the final margin was a point - Crackers played CHF in the last qtr opposed to Jack Hawkins ( Toms father ) and Crackers took about 3 really strong one grab marks up the City end - and kicked goals with them

1982 - Ess won easily - 2 reasons for that - the aarse had fallen right out of Geel - and Ess were on the verge ( 84/85) of being a Premiership power

I went to an Ess v Geel - way back in 1968 out at Windy Hill - Geel got hammered - but its funny/strange how your brain works/remembers things - but the one thing i can still visualise from that game - is Gareth Andrews (Geel) in the 2nd qtr - he had hold of the ball - and he strode up to the Central umpire - holding the ball aloft complaining that the ball was flat - then Barry Davis ( Ess) kicked a 60 metre drop kick with it - and the crowd laughed
you'd want to be right. easy to make oneself look like a dill calling someone out so definitively.

Last edited:
Not the most trust worthy source, but chat gpt says the following.

"As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the last time the Geelong Cats lost to Essendon at Kardinia Park (also known as GMHBA Stadium) was on July 9, 1993. On that day, Essendon defeated Geelong by a margin of 31 points. However, please note that I do not have access to real-time data, and there may have been subsequent matches between the two teams at Kardinia Park since then. For the most up-to-date information, I recommend checking with reliable sources or the official AFL website."

Incorrect

you're right, I misread the original post and that was the last time that we actually played there (prior to 2019), but Geelong won that game, not Essendon.

I guess my point more was that we have played there like two or three times in 30 years, so it's not in any way a useful stat. Needless to say, though, I have zero confidence of a win and will be tipping Geelong accordingly

you're right, I misread the original post and that was the last time that we actually played there, but Geelong won that game, not Essendon.

I guess my point more was that we have played there like twice in 30 years, so it's not in any way a useful piece of information. Needless to say, though, I have zero confidence of a win and will be tipping Geelong accordingly
Round 13 1986. Geelong 77 lost to Essendon 89 at Kardinia Park.

Edit - actually sorry Rnd 18 1990 Geelong (92) to Essendon (94). That seems to be the most recent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back