Preview Geelong v St Kilda Sat Aug 19 725pm @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and I’m still recovering from the keyboard warrior diatribe that followed.

Apparently you can’t pass any “information” on in BigFooty.com unless it’s been verified by the United’s Nations.

Doesn’t mean he plays …… but why name Neale in a foreign position (full time ruck) when the best option is right there. IMO Neale only plays if Hawkins or Cameron miss. Toby is that far a better ruckman (against Marshall) it’s not funny.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I appreciate what you share and understand that things can always change (e.g. TDK).

But I'd be hesitant to debut Toby on a fast, hard deck (with his history to date) and in a must-win contest. Everything they've done since he's been at the club has been "softly, softly" so it feels out of character to just throw him in as the last man standing.

You think Consistency is not mostly talent, but we have an AFL system where only one side in the current systems history outside of the top four has won a grand final? If the most talented sides are outside the top four somewhat frequently, then why is it not happening more if there isn’t a strong correlation? It’s a bit of common sense.

Or even just look at the overall results of the loser of the top four playing the winner of the bottom half in second week of finals for your answer.

Your theory is:
The more talented a team is, the more consistent they are, the higher they finish on the ladder.
And teams that finish in the top four are the most talented teams, and therefore the most consistent.

So coaching, fitness & conditioning, injuries, luck, fixture, squad depth, leadership, culture, form and external factors don't play any part.

Tell me which of the below had the most consistent year and therefore was the most talented team?

1692320980312.png

We'll have to get it out of the middle first and with Neale as the ruckman and an average midfield it'll be tough.

Parfitt/Conway - at least one should have played for O'connor.

Conway should have played at the expense of Neale or even had Neale as sub.

Neale isn't a ruckman.
As it currently stands Neale is more of an AFL ruckman than Conway.

We'll have to get it out of the middle first and with Neale as the ruckman and an average midfield it'll be tough.

Parfitt/Conway - at least one should have played for O'connor.

Conway should have played at the expense of Neale or even had Neale as sub.

Neale isn't a ruckman.
In an ideal world, yes, Conway would have played ahead of Neale... but the guy has played all of two games this year and is coming off yet another injury.

There is no way on earth that Conway is fit enough to play out a full game at AFL level. At the very best, he would be cooked by half-time. At the worst, he re-injures himself trying to go too hard.

You think Consistency is not mostly talent, but we have an AFL system where only one side in the current systems history outside of the top four has won a grand final? If the most talented sides are outside the top four somewhat frequently, then why is it not happening more if there isn’t a strong correlation? It’s a bit of common sense.
Huh? There are other reasons why sides can consistently finish in the top four other than talent. Great training culture, excellent coaching, good list management... have a look at us last year. We weren't the most talented side in it, but we were brilliantly well-organised and coached, and a bit lucky.

IMO Melbourne and the Dogs have both under-achieved for the amount of talent they have on their books, simply because they cannot seemingly get their list management right. In particular, Melbourne can't get any tall forwards, the Dogs can't get their defence sorted out and it took until this year to get their ruck setup right.

Meanwhile, quality the likes of Bontempelli, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Libba, Dunkley, Macrae, Hunter etc just gets pissed away...

Don't mind Neale as ruck - not ideal, but not many other options, and getting gametime into him is a positive.

Would have preferred either Parfitt, Menegola or Knevitt instead of Bews though. While there are question marks over their ability to perform at the level currently, I'd rather pick an extra midfielder. This seems to be the biggest area of concern currently.

Would have preferred either Parfitt, Menegola or Knevitt instead of Bews though. While there are question marks over their ability to perform at the level currently, I'd rather pick an extra midfielder. This seems to be the biggest area of concern currently.
Saints midfield is hardly stellar. But if Higgins or Butler go ballistic, that could be a bunch of goals against from just a few opportunities.

On that basis, I'm comfortable with Jedda coming in to try and keep at least one of them entirely anonymous.

367472964_632690208841838_2102720026128160473_n.jpg

This is interesting. It's what happens if you reverse the results for all games with a margin 11 points and under.

We're really not that far off it and Collingwood really aren't that far ahead - a margin under two goals you can almost always ascribe to luck, I reckon (shitty umpiring decision, skill error etc).

Not to say we're going to win the flag, but if we can get some luck going our way in the next few weeks we can have a shake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1777413

This is interesting. It's what happens if you reverse the results for all games with a margin 11 points and under.

We're really not that far off it and Collingwood really aren't that far ahead - a margin under two goals you can almost always ascribe to luck, I reckon (shitty umpiring decision, skill error etc).

Not to say we're going to win the flag, but if we can get some luck going our way in the next few weeks we can have a shake.
I think it's more an indication that even our mediocrity isn't enough to see us blown away in too many games than anything else. Rather than believing that we'll turn it around from here with some better luck, I can just imagine us going on to lose (if/when we do) by another relatively small margin.

Scott teams just don't really get belted. It's a creditable trait, for sure. But I don't see it propelling this team in its current form to the last couple of weeks of the finals in 2023.

He'd only played one VFL game (I believe on managed minutes), then had a week off. Bluntly put, he's not elite enough to be picked off the back of just that lead-in.
Well, he is a premiership BP player, and is that good.

Would be a start if Kolo, Sav, SDK would not turn it over and would hold their marks. I can see us winning if these guys can do that.
They will prefer the Marvellous conditions on Saturday night

Saints midfield is hardly stellar. But if Higgins or Butler go ballistic, that could be a bunch of goals against from just a few opportunities.

On that basis, I'm comfortable with Jedda coming in to try and keep at least one of them entirely anonymous.
Crouch and Steele are probably a step above our current crop, perhaps except Danger when he's firing.

But I take your point, I just don't think Bews has really warranted selection. Maybe more generally if you were to pick Bews, I'd have liked to drop someone else for a mid. e.g., our bench is named as Bews, Tuohy, Bowes, Henry - With O'Connor strangely named at half forward. One of those (not Henry) could be dropped for an out and out midfield who is capable of getting >25 disposals. You could argue none of Parfitt, Menegola or Knevitt are currently capable of doing that, but I still would have liked the extra mid.

As it currently stands Neale is more of an AFL ruckman than Conway.
I think for anyone who has watched a bit of VFL footy this year, there would be some strong debate on that point you've made.

Neale is not an AFL standard ruck, and whilst Conway has missed a big chunk of footy, it should also be remembered that they took a very conservative approach with his return. He came back and played two very solid games that got the coaches attention, and only missed last week due to a rolled ankle at training.

I watched both his games and he was a class above in terms of pure ruck craft, and his follow up efforts when the ball was on the ground. Very close resemblance to Tim English.

Crouch and Steele are probably a step above our current crop, perhaps except Danger when he's firing.

But I take your point, I just don't think Bews has really warranted selection. Maybe more generally if you were to pick Bews, I'd have liked to drop someone else for a mid. e.g., our bench is named as Bews, Tuohy, Bowes, Henry - With O'Connor strangely named at half forward. One of those (not Henry) could be dropped for an out and out midfield who is capable of getting >25 disposals. You could argue none of Parfitt, Menegola or Knevitt are currently capable of doing that, but I still would have liked the extra mid.
Given how few of our mids have tallied numbers like that at all throughout the entire season, I would be staggered if any of that trio would come in and provide that output in this game. So if we're not going to accumulate huge numbers from any of the players we push through the midfield, I'd prefer to make sure that at least one of their smalls doesn't have an armchair ride to torching us in front of goal. Hill was given acres in our last game, and we certainly got punished on the scoreboard as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back