Preview Geelong V Hawks Mon Apr1 2024 @MCG 320pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully the club will be more respectful to the Hawks than some around here. They outplayed Essendon for most of round 1 and they look competitive. At best we'll be missing our 2 best midfielders and Stanley, Bruhn, Atkins and Bowes aren't certainties.

If we're missing almost our entire first choice midfield I'd gladly take any win.

In my order of priority for the game

4 points
no injuries

%
That's my priority for every game
But when sides around us notch up 50 points wins against opponents hopefully we do too

To be fair we usually fill our boots at KP so our percentage is usually strong

Best we do not sleep on Hawthorn and do everything we can to secure the 4 points and a W for the Tomahawk.
I doubt they will be as badly coached as Adelaide were. They know their midfield strength is ahead of ours. They'll try to find ways to use it to cover their weaknesses.

I expect similar to last year early where they come out and gave us a black eye in the first half. From there it's on us to adapt and overcome

I'd be furious what a waste that would be of a good start to the season.

Must win. Dogs will be very tough without a midfield. If we can do the business against Hawthorn and North either side, then the Dogs game is not critical off a 5 day break and hopefully past that stretch we have everyone back for when the fixture really ramps up.

What crowd do we normally get at these games? I am finding it incredibly difficult to get any decent seating, happened at the Dogs/Dees game a few weeks ago too which was a very low crowd yet I couldn't even get level 2 Olympic and there were empty seats in that section as far as the eye could see.

Thankfully the club will be more respectful to the Hawks than some around here. They outplayed Essendon for most of round 1 and they look competitive.
Of course the players put in 100% every week, but let's not kid ourselves, Hawthorn is a bottom four side along with West Coast and North, and if we're going to make finals this year then we beat them at least 9 times out of 10.

What crowd do we normally get at these games? I am finding it incredibly difficult to get any decent seating, happened at the Dogs/Dees game a few weeks ago too which was a very low crowd yet I couldn't even get level 2 Olympic and there were empty seats in that section as far as the eye could see.

2023: 65,335
2022: 48,030
2021: 50,030
2019: 66,347
2018: 73,189
2017: 62,360

Generally it hasn't been selling out over recent years - so it's crazy if they're saying no decent seats

If Stanley is fit, I would go with Stanley and Conway.

Allow Blicavs to play more midfield minutes and provide a bigger body around the contests (with Danger unavailable).

Stanley is also potentially a headache for Hawks resting forward. And it eases Conway into the job.

One of them would be subbed off to get an extra runner on when needed.

Who would you take out from the crows game? Assuming Atkins, Duncan and Tanner are all back. Danger obviously will be one of the outs. Wouldn't shock me if we make another change too. I've been pretty down on Parfitt the last few years but thought that was his best game for the club in a long time and would be happy for him to play again this week.

Allow Blicavs to play more midfield minutes and provide a bigger body around the contests (with Danger unavailable).

Stanley is also potentially a headache for Hawks resting forward. And it eases Conway into the job.

Might aswell tell Neale we don’t rate him one bit if they play Stanley as a resting Forward.

I’m not a Neale fan either btw… but Stanley is just horrible in the ruck and forward.

If Stanley isn’t doing his job getting battered in the ruck… he should take the week off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patrick Dangerfield is expected to miss the next fortnight with a low-grade hamstring injury, while a couple of midfielders are set to be available for selection for the Easter Monday match against Hawthorn.

Geelong Cats Assistant General Manager – Football Brett Johnson said Dangerfield’s injury would likely only rule him out for the short term.

“Patrick injured his hamstring late in the game on Friday night, it’s a low-grade hamstring injury,” Johnson said.

“We expect Danger to only miss two weeks, so we look forward to getting him back on the park soon.”

Jack Bowes, who suffered a heavy cork to his calf in the lead-up to Round 1, is expected to be available for selection as he returns to full training on Wednesday.

Tom Atkins, who was a late withdrawal for the Round 2 clash with Adelaide with an adductor complaint, is also expected to be available for the traditional Easter Monday clash against the Hawks.

“Tom was really close (to playing), he just had a real low-grade adductor injury that we didn’t want to risk. We expect him to train fully tomorrow (Wednesday) and be available to play,” Johnson said.

“Jack has been recovering from that calf contusion (cork). Again, he is the same as Tom: if he trains fully tomorrow, we expect him to be available.”

Tanner Bruhn remains a test this week as he recovers from an injury suffered during Geelong’s Round 1 clash with St Kilda.

“Tanner is looking good. He’s had that mid-foot sprain, so we’re being cautious with that. He was a test late last week and didn’t get up, so he’ll be the same again for this week,” Johnson said.

Gary Rohan, Cameron Guthrie, Joe Furphy and Mitch Edwards are all progressing in their respective rehabilitation programs.

Untitled.png

Genuine question - what sort of potential headache does Stanley present to opposition defences?

The last time he kicked a goal was Rnd 18, 2022 against Carlton - he's played 21 games since then for a total of 3 behinds

Can go back to the start of 2022 & he's only kicked 3 goals in 35 games, and if we want to include 21 which brings his games total to 54 with 11 goals kicked during that period

The reality is that he's not going to cause headaches for any defence

Genuine question - what sort of potential headache does Stanley present to opposition defences?

The last time he kicked a goal was Rnd 18, 2022 against Carlton - he's played 21 games since then for a total of 3 behinds

Can go back to the start of 2022 & he's only kicked 3 goals in 35 games, and if we want to include 21 which brings his games total to 54 with 11 goals kicked during that period

That's fair, I don't mind Stanley forward but those numbers are damning.

I guess Conway does not need a backup if we have Blicavs there if it goes wrong for him.

I like Blicavs at ground level if Danger is not there. I think we are quite small around the ball with no Danger and Guthrie.

We would want to be in our toes from the start here, there’ll be a response from the hawks this week
agreed... its us.... they will be on and if they get going... they will play fearless footy as they have nothing to lose.

And that can be dangerous too.

GO Catters

That's fair, I don't mind Stanley forward but those numbers are damning.

I guess Conway does not need a backup if we have Blicavs there if it goes wrong for him.

I like Blicavs at ground level if Danger is not there. I think we are quite small around the ball with no Danger and Guthrie.
Yeah we have a midget squad midfield with Atkins, Bruhn, Clark and Bowes. Probably a good reason to give Parf another run at it, or George Stevens!?

Of course the players put in 100% every week, but let's not kid ourselves, Hawthorn is a bottom four side along with West Coast and North, and if we're going to make finals this year then we beat them at least 9 times out of 10.
You could say that about the Hawks in 2022 and we lost in a premiership year

Yeah we have a midget squad midfield with Atkins, Bruhn, Clark and Bowes. Probably a good reason to give Parf another run at it, or George Stevens!?

Not currently available - from our last VFL practice match

In other health updates, draftee George Stevens is recovering from a low-grade left ankle and left knee sprain to his medial ligaments which he sustained in Geelong’s VFL practice match against Sandringham on the weekend.

One thing I have noticed about Stanley in the last couple of years is that he has lost his overhead ability.

At his best, he was good for a couple of those really important get-out-of-jail marks up the wing or at half-back. Not the same contested marking beast as Max Gawn, but definitely more than handy, especially with Blicavs doing the same. He seems to have them hit the mitts and bounce out a more in the last 18 months.

That would be the one time in ten :)

But there is a pretty clear bottom three in the AFL at the moment. I'm not saying 'take it easy', but these really need to be walk-up wins for all barring the absolute worst injury crisis.
They do have a good midfield. I'm just saying you can't sleep on them

I might be in the minority here, but, if we lose on Easter Monday, I'm not gonna be mad.

Winning that game against all odds, and not just winning but basically dominating most of the game with Atkins, Duncan, Bowes, Bruhn and C. Guthrie missing from our midfield, was just the nicest surprise ever - and a glimpse of the positive future of our kids to come.

The Hawks will be breathing fire, and we might be missing both Danger and Stanley, alongside possible further rests of Bruhn, Bowes and Atkins.

We drop this one, it just means we won the Crows one and dropped the Hawks one, rather than the inverse. I can live with that :)
I will be furious! What a wasted opportunity that would be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back