Preview Geelong V Hawks Mon Apr1 2024 @MCG 320pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair, I don't mind Stanley forward but those numbers are damning.

I guess Conway does not need a backup if we have Blicavs there if it goes wrong for him.

I like Blicavs at ground level if Danger is not there. I think we are quite small around the ball with no Danger and Guthrie.

I can remember briefly reading something somewhere prior to our round 1 match and Stanley's inability to hit the scoreboard over recent seasons

If he was averaging even 0.5 goals per game, then as as ruckman he'd be someone opposition defensive would take note of when drifting forward

But since last year, I'm not sure if he's not drifting forward as much, not getting into dangerous positions/holding marks to be a threat up forward or if it's just poor kicking

I'm thinking it's bit more of the first in that we now have 2 genuine tall forwards in Hawkins & Cameron, then add in medium forwards like Henry & Rohan, and maybe there's less of a "need" for him to push forward

Interestingly though, Blicavs kicked 12 goals last year which equals his season high from back on 2017 and 8 goals in 2022 - his only goalless season was 2019 when playing as a KPD. In his hybrid midfield/ruck role, is he now the one pushing forward more and seeing who's going to go with him?

I can remember briefly reading something somewhere prior to our round 1 match and Stanley's inability to hit the scoreboard over recent seasons

If he was averaging even 0.5 goals per game, then as as ruckman he'd be someone opposition defensive would take note of when drifting forward

But since last year, I'm not sure if he's not drifting forward as much, not getting into dangerous positions/holding marks to be a threat up forward or if it's just poor kicking

I'm thinking it's bit more of the first in that we now have 2 genuine tall forwards in Hawkins & Cameron, then add in medium forwards like Henry & Rohan, and maybe there's less of a "need" for him to push forward

Interestingly though, Blicavs kicked 12 goals last year which equals his season high from back on 2017 and 8 goals in 2022 - his only goalless season was 2019 when playing as a KPD. In his hybrid midfield/ruck role, is he now the one pushing forward more and seeing who's going to go with him?
He also doesn’t drift forward because Hawkins handles forward fifty ruck work.

Hawkins has been doing that for years though, that's the only reason I didn't specify it as a possiblity for Stanley not playing forward more

One thing I have noticed about Stanley in the last couple of years is that he has lost his overhead ability.

At his best, he was good for a couple of those really important get-out-of-jail marks up the wing or at half-back. Not the same contested marking beast as Max Gawn, but definitely more than handy, especially with Blicavs doing the same. He seems to have them hit the mitts and bounce out a more in the last 18 months.
I agree with this about Stanley. He's a liability when he goes up for the mark because the ball goes straight through his hands and slips out the back of the pack for opposition goals lol. So frustrating.

Last edited:

Yep. Tactically we have used Rhys a lot differently since the start of 2022. He has played behind the ball after the centre bounce. If he did push forward he is capable of getting the ball but is a terrible finisher so is not worth it.

I have a little theory that sides can get away with against the odds wins for 1 or 2 weeks but then it catches up with them. We won last week with 3 of our best 4 mids out. It looks like we will be in the same situation this week (swapping Danger for Atkins). I do not expect Bruhn to play with a 5 day break to the next game. The Hawthorn midfield is arguably better than Adelaide's. I expect Newcomb will monster our younger mids.

It will take another whole of team effort to get over the Hawks (who I expect will be a vastly different proposition this week after their dismal showing last week).

Hoping that whole of team effort is sustained for Tom's 350th.

When we set up in our forward half they like putting him behind the ball to free up someone more creative to intercept. Its how he found himself 1 on 1 against Membry off a faster counter attack in round 1

It seems to me this year we are running with A graders in Attack and Defense, and going for a 'midfield by committee' approach. Thats fine as long as the mix suits the opposition and they alll turn up to play. Will be a good challenge in the mods this week, given the bigger bodies of the Hawks generally through there, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Clarke, etc go. A good test I reckon.

I just hope we're switched on from the opening bounce on Monday. The last couple of times we played them on Easter Monday we've been 3 goals down within the first 10 minutes while barely getting our hands on the ball.

Four quarters like our 3rd term last year would be nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fun fact for this weekend.

Hawkins in his 350th game needs 2 goals to surpass jack riewoldt on the all time goal kicking list and go into outright 13th place behind Matthew Richardson.

If he equals Fred Fanning's record and kicks a lazy 18, he'll have also kicked his 200th goal at the MCG. :cool:

Yep. Tactically we have used Rhys a lot differently since the start of 2022. He has played behind the ball after the centre bounce. If he did push forward he is capable of getting the ball but is a terrible finisher so is not worth it.
Glad to see someone's watching the game he was crucial in 2022 dropping back after the ball up and Blitz taking it from there big reason we won the flag. kudos Scott

Hoping we see all of Atkins, Bruhn and Duncan back. Would be a net win on paper even with the loss of Dangerfield with Knevitt and Mullin making way.
Thank you for keeping Parf

Glad to see someone's watching the game he was crucial in 2022 dropping back after the ball up and Blitz taking it from there big reason we won the flag. kudos Scott
particularly the GF- everything came together

We might actually see a record for the most uncontested marks in history on Monday if last weekend's games are any indication.

In the first quarter against Melbourne on the weekend, the Hawks racked up 50 marks as they were chipping the ball around while trying to get around May and Lever, who recorded one intercept possession between them before they both went off injured.

Imagine the horror then when the Hawks brain trust popped on the tape of our game on Friday night to review it and watched Stewart (15 intercept possessions & 4 one-percenters), Kolo (8 & 4), Guthrie (6 & 3), De Koning (6 & 5) and Jack Henry (5 & 10) rack up a combined 40 intercept possessions and 26 one percenters between them.

We might need to stock up on the No-Doze if the Hawks try and do what they did last week for the whole game.

Thank you for keeping Parf

Don’t have to thank me. I’ve always maintained a soft spot for him. He is capable of playing at a good level albeit he won’t ever be an A grader. He just needs to play with that intensity he brought last Friday and keep it simple. Not be too cute with his agility.

The Stanley rumour about a broken hand is incorrect.

I can confirm that surgeons performed a full amputation of the hand late today.

Club just released a statement…….“ Whilst this is disappointing news, we are confident that Stumpy will be available in 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Geez they're really calling him "Stumpy"? Isn't that a little insensitive?

The Stanley rumour about a broken hand is incorrect.

I can confirm that surgeons performed a full amputation of the hand late today.

Club just released a statement…….“ Whilst this is disappointing news, we are confident that Stumpy will be available in 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Daniel Chick had a finger amputated to keep playing footy so it is the least Stanley can do for the team

I honestly thought they just got sick of his s**t and told blitz take over, he was only allowed to ruck in the back half because he was really bad.

I honestly thought they just got sick of his s**t and told blitz take over, he was only allowed to ruck in the back half because he was really bad.
No way- Stanley was influential in those finals, and the combo of Hawkins, Cameron, Blicavs and Stanley was excellent overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back