No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm watching AFL 360 for the first time in years. What's going on with Robbo when he pronounces 'f'? Has he always blown raspberries?

I'm not wanting to be disparaging, he may have a speech impediment of some kind. I just can't remember hearing it before.
He had some pretty serious heart issues over the last few years that have put him in hospital for periods.

The most interesting part about watching Reid and his myriad of highlights is just how balanced and mechanically sound he is. His so relaxed and strong at the same time.

Every step and move he takes is for the betterment of his next step or effort - this will sound slightly obtuse but it’s like watching a young MJ, completely different games but the same ability to just naturally move and bounce with the game, his physicality just comes so naturally but it starts long before he has the ball, every step he takes his almost in perfect balance.

Reid will make the whole competition better.

The most interesting part about watching Reid and his myriad of highlights is just how balanced and mechanically sound he is. His so relaxed and strong at the same time.

Every step and move he takes is for the betterment of his next step or effort - this will sound slightly obtuse but it’s like watching a young MJ, completely different games but the same ability to just naturally move and bounce with the game, his physicality just comes so naturally but it starts long before he has the ball, every step he takes his almost in perfect balance.

Reid will make the whole competition better.
The strength in his legs and hips is freakishly unnatural.

Premiership rings?! thumbs up or thumbs down?
it's :thumbsdown: for me.

So stupid. At least in the NBA they’re rolling in full gucci kit to actually go with the ring or something of the like.

Just feels so tacky if I was to see mark blicavs rolling around in $35 cotton on kit with a $50,000 massive ring.

Why? It’ll be a long time before they win another.
It's about recognition of the entire list, coaches and key support staff. Players still get the medal for being on the field.

I will say I am dead against the gaudy and unnecessarily expensive ring that was put forward.

Premiership rings?! thumbs up or thumbs down?
it's :thumbsdown: for me.
I think leave it to the clubs themselves to organise anything extra like that.

Seeing how big and over the top the concept design is I couldn’t imagine anyone would actually ever wear them anyway.

The traditional premiership medal itself is far less showy and you can imagine the ribbing an actual premiership player would cop for getting around wearing their medal in public after the accepted celebratory period.

The roasting a player who only played a handful of H&A games and wasn’t even part of the finals campaign would get for wearing one of those rings would set off every fire alarm in a 10km radius.

Also it wouldn’t even matter if they gave the same premiership medals out to additional players/staff.

It’s not about the medal itself. It’s about what having the medal represents. That you played on the day and won.

I think leave it to the clubs themselves to organise anything extra like that.

The traditional premiership medal itself is far less showy and you can imagine the ribbing an actual premiership player would cop for getting around wearing their medal in public after the accepted celebratory period.
You could see how clubs would want the AFL to pick up the tab because not only would they save money but they could then blame the AFL for someone not getting a ring. "Sorry it's the AFL, if it had been up to us we would have given you one".

Kevin Murray wore his Brownlow around his neck for the remainder of his life. Nobody else saw it, but he had it next to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it should be a club initiative. For instance, which players get invited back to the premiership reunion celebrations? Perhaps a club should invite every player who played in a final, or a game or maybe anyone on the list for that year? Be consistent and give due recognition where they deem it relevant.

I don’t watch or go to games on a Saturday because I go to my local club in the EFNL, where I played and have been a member for around 60 years.

I do watch a lot of games over the season, it doesn’t matter who’s playing, I’ll be watching, at least until half time. Most of the games are at night or late in the afternoon. I only manage to get to a couple of games a year, but something I’ve noticed become more common over the last few years is how poor kicking has become. I’m not really talking about kicking in general, it’s some of the short kicks that suddenly go along the ground, the kick around the corner, whether it hurried or a shot at goal, either goes along the ground or doesn’t get any distance. Even running and bouncing the Yellow ball doesn’t seem to look fluent. I never see that happen at my local club’s games. You’d think that skill level wise AFL players are much better, so the only things different are the Yellow ball and the time of day. All my local footy games use a Red ball. To me it seems like AFL skill levels have worsened over the past couple of years, as the Yellow ball has become the norm.

I guess someone either smarter or not as lazy as me, can analyse the difference in kicking skills in Red ball v Yellow ball games. Do Red ball games allow players to demonstrate better skills?

What does everyone think? Is the Yellow ball responsible?

I don’t watch or go to games on a Saturday because I go to my local club in the EFNL, where I played and have been a member for around 60 years.

I do watch a lot of games over the season, it doesn’t matter who’s playing, I’ll be watching, at least until half time. Most of the games are at night or late in the afternoon. I only manage to get to a couple of games a year, but something I’ve noticed become more common over the last few years is how poor kicking has become. I’m not really talking about kicking in general, it’s some of the short kicks that suddenly go along the ground, the kick around the corner, whether it hurried or a shot at goal, either goes along the ground or doesn’t get any distance. Even running and bouncing the Yellow ball doesn’t seem to look fluent. I never see that happen at my local club’s games. You’d think that skill level wise AFL players are much better, so the only things different are the Yellow ball and the time of day. All my local footy games use a Red ball. To me it seems like AFL skill levels have worsened over the past couple of years, as the Yellow ball has become the norm.

I guess someone either smarter or not as lazy as me, can analyse the difference in kicking skills in Red ball v Yellow ball games. Do Red ball games allow players to demonstrate better skills?

What does everyone think? Is the Yellow ball responsible?
(not an expert in any shape or form) Are the AFL match balls too 'slick' because of the sponsorship logos? :think:

Hodgey was on SEN this morning explaining that the Hawks gifted players (sorry missed if he said coaches etc.) Breitling watches and he actually wears it. I looked them up and they're approx. $10k

Hodgey was on SEN this morning explaining that the Hawks gifted players (sorry missed if he said coaches etc.) Breitling watches and he actually wears it. I looked them up and they're approx. $10k
Would that be part of the salary cap

Would that be part of the salary cap

The club wins prize money with a premiership - I wonder if they are free to distribute that to players as they see fit without impacting the cap.

Edit: Yes it turns out that’s how it works - “That money, which tallies at $500,000, will not be counted under the winning club's salary cap and will instead be distributed to players outside the cap in a similar manner to a premiership bonus.”

Last edited:
Hahaha and then what, Zurhaar goes as a FA and nets them pick 2 as well.

Draft ends up going

1.NM (Priority)
2. NM
3. NM (Comp)
4. Haw
5. GC (Matched bid)

Bahahaha imagine the uproar
How do we get pick 4 in this scenario? Are we trading pick 18 for pick 2? If so nice swap.

in so far as TV rights go they want more teams not less (note they not me) 20 teams means 10 games not 9 a round, that means an extra 10% for TV rights (canberra, darwin, WA or SA doesn't matter where they would want 1 more)
I think Newcastle is the next logical choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back