No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Justin Longmuir came out and said that he has an unpopular opinion of wanting the AFL to take control as there was too much inconsistency between the clubs on how they handled it. Said straight out that there were instances where they had watched other clubs and surprised at how other players were handled.

Bevo bumbled, fumbled and dodged the question given how they handled Libba.
Geddy Lyon during OTC mentioned Longmuir’s view on the concussion/HIA process (and I agree with Longmuir, it should be taken out of the clubs hands completely).
Lyon’s point was that the club doctors have better knowledge of their players medical history, which could be important, for in the case of Jeremy Cameron it wouldn’t matter if you asked him to count to ten during an HIA, as he can’t count to ten at the best of times. I did lol at Geddy after that one 😂

View attachment 1988286

Not one for bringing up politics on this site (though always happy to dig in when others bring things up) but this is just Tony Jones flapping his jaw to get a cheap shot in at Albo.
AFAIK Albo has always been a diehard Hawks man- trollop for someone to take this shot at hime.
Did Albo find that scarf on a train? I lost three in a row about a decade ago coming home from the G poelaxed

Umpire bosses meet with Scott after Friday night criticism - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1130088

Of course they drove down there personally, got on all fours and assumed the position. Any other coach whining like Scott would probably be fined.

Sent from my CPH2343 using Tapatalk
Plus in his rant about umpiring and holding the ball he didn’t address the big issues which is teams throwing/ dropping it out.

His team is getting value for that though with numerous instances of his team pushing that rule to their advantage.

The other rules though better for the game don’t advantage him so he wants them gone.

All the talk of improving the look of the game becomes hogwash if people look at what he says even slightly deeply.

View attachment 1988286

Not one for bringing up politics on this site (though always happy to dig in when others bring things up) but this is just Tony Jones flapping his jaw to get a cheap shot in at Albo.
AFAIK Albo has always been a diehard Hawks man- trollop for someone to take this shot at hime.
Albo has always been a hawthorn fan

do some research Tony jones before talking shite

More concerned about Albo being a “do nothing” PM, to be honest.

(And that’s coming from a card carrying loather of all things LNP. But this is not a politics board, so I’ll leave it at that.)

Anyone know what Cats-sycophant Whateley has had to say on Chris Scott's whinge and Geelong's (mis)treatment of Cameron's concussion? He can assume Purple-like proportions in terms of lack of objectivity when it comes to Geelong.

Serious question from a Sydneysider: Who is Tony Jones?

Anyone know what Cats-sycophant Whateley has had to say on Chris Scott's whinge and Geelong's (mis)treatment of Cameron's concussion? He can assume Purple-like proportions in terms of lack of objectivity when it comes to Geelong.

Chompers

1715642274652.png

This is the way. Or fold them i to the tassie team. At least they would be doing something good for the comp in the second scenario. Appreciate easy to say as a club not in their situation though.

How many Fitzroy-listed players made it onto Brisbane's list when they merged? If North merged with Tassie, how many players could they contribute to a team that doesn't yet exist?

How many Fitzroy-listed players made it onto Brisbane's list when they merged? If North merged with Tassie, how many players could they contribute to a team that doesn't yet exist?
Fitzroy would have had more than North would. Was 7 or 8 from memory.
Tassie would have the Sheez and Larkey.
But Tasmanians generally wouldn't support a merged entity anyway.

edit
Scott Bamford, John Barker, Brad Boyd, Nick Carter, Shane Clayton, Simon Hawking, Chris Johnson and Jarrod Molloy

edit
Scott Bamford, John Barker, Brad Boyd, Nick Carter, Shane Clayton, Simon Hawking, Chris Johnson and Jarrod Molloy
North are terrible, but they would get more than 2.

We'd take all of these players in a heartbeat:
Sheezle, Larkey, LDU, Wardlaw, McKercher, Duursma.

Then there's probably another 5 or 6 you'd strongly consider.

edit

I thought Alistair Lynch came in the merger, but I see that he was actually traded to Brisbane a couple of years earlier. He almost counts, maybe?

Pathetic hack sports reader on the 9 news down here and as a result panelist on assorted footy shows.

Also known for this:

And this (for which Dylan Moore should be given the captaincy immediately) - go to the 7 minute mark:

People's handwringing over Norf is really a bit premature. They are in their 5th year of being hopeless. Melbourne's horror run recently went for 9 years before they started to improve. It was a total of 11 years between finals series. As bad as Norf are they have never had an absolute demolition to the extent some of those Demons sides did when they were getting 200+ put on them. Carlton's recent bottoming out and bottoming out again saw stints of 7 and 9 years over the course of two decades in which they got 5 wooden spoons. It was also 9 years in the wilderness for the Lions after the Crazy Vossy trade period in 2009.

Norf's bottoming out was absolutely ham fisted and has left them in an absolute hole. But it doesn't mean they are existentially doomed. People were beating the same drums about Port in the early 2010s also and they rebounded. People are still wearing the scars of the 1990s when the AFL and ARL seemed hell bent on destroying clubs left right and centre. These days the TV rights are what feeds the league and more games = more money so that's what will be chased. Norf will still exist in a decade's time and we will still get to laugh at them as we do now. What's not to like about that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure about the biomechanics of it all, but I had a torn PCL treated like this 15 years ago. It seemed to do the trick.
PCL are usually incomplete and conservative treatment is probably the most common, ACL are more often complete. The standard treatment is repair.

People's handwringing over Norf is really a bit premature. They are in their 5th year of being hopeless. Melbourne's horror run recently went for 9 years before they started to improve. It was a total of 11 years between finals series. As bad as Norf are they have never had an absolute demolition to the extent some of those Demons sides did when they were getting 200+ put on them. Carlton's recent bottoming out and bottoming out again saw stints of 7 and 9 years over the course of two decades in which they got 5 wooden spoons. It was also 9 years in the wilderness for the Lions after the Crazy Vossy trade period in 2009.

Norf's bottoming out was absolutely ham fisted and has left them in an absolute hole. But it doesn't mean they are existentially doomed. People were beating the same drums about Port in the early 2010s also and they rebounded. People are still wearing the scars of the 1990s when the AFL and ARL seemed hell bent on destroying clubs left right and centre. These days the TV rights are what feeds the league and more games = more money so that's what will be chased. Norf will still exist in a decade's time and we will still get to laugh at them as we do now. What's not to like about that?
Agree.

People were beating the same drum about West Coast only four weeks ago.

Having said that North are a financial basket case and unlike Carlton are not a powerhouse and unlike Melbourne are not a foundation club.

Great if it works. Needs to be trialed properly to be sure really works. Only 40-50% of injuries seem to be suitable and it seems they are of a lesser grade.
Think it works for those injuries where there is less impact/trauma. I'd say more along the lines of the player just turning and it going, similar to Schoenmakers.

Agree.

People were beating the same drum about West Coast only four weeks ago.

Having said that North are a financial basket case and unlike Carlton are not a powerhouse and unlike Melbourne are not a foundation club.
True.

And Port was massively bailed out by the AFL, a renaissance by moving to Adelaide oval and the writing off of a chunk of SANFL debt.

North aren't a financial basket case. Yes, their pockets aren't as deep like clubs with coteries like Carlton - but they are debt free and run profits. They aren't like a 1996 Fitzroy where they literally can't continue to operate.

Think it works for those injuries where there is less impact/trauma. I'd say more along the lines of the player just turning and it going, similar to Schoenmakers.
Seemingly, but it could be most of these would get better with standard knee care anyway. 8-12 weeks in a cross knee brace would be very unpleasant, not to mention it has risks. Still, interesting work and I don't think it will be long before better studies come out.

Arthritis mainly, no aches in the good knee, ankle etc, but plenty in the one operated on.
The operated one may have also sustained other trauma at the time of the original injury such as bone bruising, minor fractures, capsular or meniscal tears, damage to the ligaments and tendons etc. Could be hard to sort out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back