No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

F5bDkUyawAAL16S

Couldn't be anything else
Could be severe considering brayshaw was immediately knocked out. I fully expect him to get off tho

Amazing.

He's going to go for 2 weeks, or we're going to see some AFL gymnastics to get him off when it's clear he's done.

It will magically be graded low impact almost certain. For what it’s worth I feel like it’s not even remotely close to being an act you’d rub someone out for - but put it into their stupid graph and boom it’s gotta be at LEAST 1

It will magically be graded low impact almost certain. For what it’s worth I feel like it’s not even remotely close to being an act you’d rub someone out for - but put it into their stupid graph and boom it’s gotta be at LEAST 1
I don’t think it will even clear the careless hurdle. It is just an unfortunate collision.

I'm strongly on the 'Football accident' side. He took a normal football action trying to smother a kick. Consider...Maynard had time to brace..means Brayshaw also had time to move his head. But it happend in an instant...not in slow motion, and in that instant Maynard was at the mercy of gravity. I agree with the live commentary opinions in the 1st quarter break. Just my opinion. Neither player intended or anticipated the result is what I mean.....as opposed to throwing an elbow at someones chin.

buutt...thinks about Sicily applying a legal tackle, and Maynard may never play the sport again.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Low impact to a bloke knocked out before he hit the turf?

Don’t think so

vibes of Matthew Lloyd "I was protecting myself against Thurgood's jaw"

If you're walking down the street and got startled by a mountain lion, so you are airborne...and then some grandma walks around the corner, unavoidable collision imminent...Do you brace for impact like Maynard did? What would 'duty of care' look like?

If Maynard gets rubbed out for that the game is in trouble. There was absolutely no malice in it. He wasn’t even going for a bump. It was an attempted smother.

Take all emotion out of it, the PTSD from sis suspension there’s no way anyone on this board would be advocating a suspension if it was one of our boys.

If Maynard gets rubbed out for that the game is in trouble. There was absolutely no malice in it. He wasn’t even going for a bump. It was an attempted smother.

Take all emotion out of it, the PTSD from sis suspension there’s no way anyone on this board would be advocating a suspension if it was one of our boys.
If that gets weeks we might as well just write a new rule stating if you do anything that leads to a concussion it's minimum two weeks.

That same action happens 100's of times every game.

That bridge was crossed when Sicily was suspended for laying a textbook tackle.

Should not even be considered for suspension, wasn't even a bump. He clearly jumps to try and smother the ball with just unfortunate contact with the way both players came together. It was at no stage a choice to make contact.

I've seen some bad suspensions for bumps etc but this would be as bad as it gets if he got done.

“Malice” being a reason to suspend a player hasn’t been a factor in years.

The question is, did he knock out the player? Yes. Could he have avoided it? This will be the question. All precedents over the past few years have suggested that if there is another option he could have taken, then he’ll get rubbed out. As you can see in the action, he turns and he braces. We’ve seen players get rubbed out for this.

Not saying I agree with it at all, but I’d be surprised if he gets let off.

Pies absolutely got out of jail. Going to have to lift massively otherwise they aren’t going to make the grand final let alone win it.

Dees lost that more than the pies won it. After quarter time I think the inside 50’s were something like 52 to 20.

Strangely enough if Melksham doesn’t do his ACL the Dees win this game.

Or he would have choked as badly as all the other forwards.

So much selfishness and so much failure combined. All burning teammates then missing their shots.

Double the inside 50s and losing...anyone got stats on that.

As for Maynard, why bother tackling if that is cleared. Just shoulder drop instead. Forced concussion test even if not hurt. No risk of a week off for a dangerous tackle.

Win - win.

The AFL have a tough choice. Either they prove they are serious about stamping out dangerous acts which risk serious head injuries, or they admit they dont care and the lawsuits add more zeroes.

vibes of Matthew Lloyd "I was protecting myself against Thurgood's jaw"

If you're walking down the street and got startled by a mountain lion, so you are airborne...and then some grandma walks around the corner, unavoidable collision imminent...Do you brace for impact like Maynard did? What would 'duty of care' look like?

Easy to judge in slow motion. This is a frenetic, 360 degree full contact sport. Mistakes will happen. Absolutely no shades of Lloyd in what Maynard did.

Easy to judge in slow motion. This is a frenetic, 360 degree full contact sport. Mistakes will happen. Absolutely no shades of Lloyd in what Maynard did.
Take out all the pre-amble, and yes it's going slowly, but Maynard has essentially tucked, bumped, and knocked a bloke out.

And it's all okay because "football action, I was just protecting myself." Which, we've seen isn't okay when someone gets knocked out.

Yes, I say there's shades of Matthew Lloyd on Thurgood in this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back