No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Lewis just said Clarkson cost them in 2017 and 2018 by trading out Lewis and Mitchell
Can't agree with this.
Writing was on the wall for Hawks in 2016. We were going ok but you could tell we weren't the side we were.

I mean everyone knew this and i am glad he said it as it was why he got upset
He was right too, he should have been the next Captain, not pushed out. Roughy was a feel good choice and whilst he did alright, I think Lewis was more suited to the role. Lewis for 3 then McEvoy for 3 would have given us better leadership through that period.

He had every right to be upset about it, but I do think he could have handled the situation better. It seems he's came back into the Hawthorn fold somewhat since Clarko left, which is good to see.

He had every right to be upset about it, but I do think he could have handled the situation better. It seems he's came back into the Hawthorn fold somewhat since Clarko left, which is good to see.
Probably helps that our current coach had basically the same thing happen to him at basically the same time.

The Oliver story is huge. I can't think of a midfielder of his calibre (26 year old midfielder, 2x Coaches Association award winner, 4xB&F) moving clubs since Judd. He's better than Dangerfield and Neale were when they moved.

The chances of any player drafted this year, including Reid, being as good as Oliver are slim. Without the baggage he is worth more than pick 1. The question is how bad the baggage is and how much it dilutes his value but regardless he's clearly a top 10 player in the competition who would be transformative for any club if he stays on the park.

Melbourne's silence has been stunning, so I assume it's happening. Going to be a fascinating watch.

The Oliver story is huge. I can't think of a midfielder of his calibre (26 year old midfielder, 2x Coaches Association award winner, 4xB&F) moving clubs since Judd. He's better than Dangerfield and Neale were when they moved.

The chances of any player drafted this year, including Reid, being as good as Oliver are slim. Without the baggage he is worth more than pick 1. The question is how bad the baggage is and how much it dilutes his value but regardless he's clearly a top 10 player in the competition who would be transformative for any club if he stays on the park.

Melbourne's silence has been stunning, so I assume it's happening. Going to be a fascinating watch.
Thilthorpe or Fogarty will have to be involved.

I can see Thilthorpe, Pick 9, Future first, pick 21 and 23 having to be involved. Alongside McAdams.

He is a generational ball winner, just entering his prime.....

Heard this. Disagree with Jordy - we were definitely on a decline after 2015/2016.

Clarko did the right thing trying to rejuvenate the list; bringing in JOM, Tom Mitchell, etc.. it just didn't work out.
I disagree we traded out club legends, a past captain and arguably the next line for a packet of chips that had just finished first and second in our B&F in a team that finished in the top 4. The domino affect lead to losing Birchall, Gunston, Hodge and Smith and nearly cost Roughead.

You can't replace class and foundation members by just bringing in experience, look at Geelong without Selwood. We sold a large chuck of soul for cheap arse sponge cake.

I disagree we traded out club legends, a past captain and arguably the next line for a packet of chips that had just finished first and second in our B&F in a team that finished in the top 4. The domino affect lead to losing Birchall, Gunston, Hodge and Smith and nearly cost Roughead.
And now we've probably pissed our father sons away too due to it.

From D50 to F50, Spangher kicks it to Cyril who taps it to Poppy, Poppy lunges and taps it back to Cyril's advantage who then leisurely strolls down the wing and - Bruce's words not mine - caresses it down Breust's throat, Breust plays on, mimes a handball, drop steps around Michael Johnston and dobs it.

Could replay that one in my head as easy as anything.
I just did!

Oliver is NOT better than Dangerfield when Danger moved. Oliver is an excellent player, but Danger is better including at the crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, but I remember watching J. Lewis play (albeit only 4 or 5 games) after 2015 and it looked like he was really struggling to keep up.
Short of getting a Danger + Jeremy Cameron kiss on the dick Hawthorn were not winning another premiership after 2015.

Straight sets is straight sets. It happened. And it happened because a young Bulldogs team who were not even that good ran rings around the ageing Hawks.

Getting old sucks but it happens to everyone.

Short of getting a Danger + Jeremy Cameron kiss on the dick Hawthorn were not winning another premiership after 2015.

Straight sets is straight sets. It happened. And it happened because a young Bulldogs team who were not even that good ran rings around the ageing Hawks.

If Rough didn't relapse we were a huge bloody chance.

If the kickin in danger an handballing rule applied properly? Still we looked a bit impotent towards the end….

So should the 2 clubs who straight settled in 2023 start a hard rebuild?

Isaac Smith kicks straight, reckon we play the GF that year. Shoulda coulda, etc, but we were a bees dick from that prelim and would have backed us to go all the way had we got that week off.

I mean everyone knew this and i am glad he said it as it was why he got upset
Makes me wonder whether Jordan Lewis is coming back to the club... giving his explanation now to prepare for his return as a favourite son? :think:

Guess Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

That’s your opinion. The voting by the coaches in the AFL indicates most of them disagree with your opinion
I'd have Dangerfield over Oliver for 1 important reason - Clarry is never going to hit the scoreboard with the same level of regularity as Dangerfield. A bloke who can get the pill 25+ times a game and kick a goal or more is probably the most in demand bloke in the AFL, for good reason.

Can't agree with this.
Writing was on the wall for Hawks in 2016. We were going ok but you could tell we weren't the side we were.
We finished top 4 ....without Roughhead. we got Roughyback 2017 - we would have come close in 2016 if Isaac kicks that goal to win us the first qualifying final and its us instead of the cats playing that primal against the swans. Also the Cats would have then smashed the dogs in the semi - so many sliding doors.

We finished top 4 ....without Roughhead. we got Roughyback 2017 - we would have come close in 2016 if Isaac kicks that goal to win us the first qualifying final and its us instead of the cats playing that primal against the swans. Also the Cats would have then smashed the dogs in the semi - so many sliding doors.
we also got smashed with injuries in 2016,17,18

What’s the rumours & baggage with Oliver? I thought it was just trade radio innuendo but it seems to be gaining momentum

He likes powders

He decided to tattoo his own foot (as you do) and it got infected and he missed games

ALLEDGEDLY

Heard this. Disagree with Jordy - we were definitely on a decline after 2015/2016.

Clarko did the right thing trying to rejuvenate the list; bringing in JOM, Tom Mitchell, etc.. it just didn't work out.
We could have had all 4 players and both O’Meara and Mitchell would have thought that was probably going to be the case when they signed up. Instead we were left with basically just Mitchell and a banged up O’Meara to lead the charge.
Don’t forget both Sam and Jordan had just come 1 & 2 in out B&F when given the arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back