No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Pucovski's quite a different case , more to it than a concussion issue
Pucovski definitely has other mental health challenges. Which has also kept him away from cricket at times.

The problem is the concussion issues and any lasting damage from it won’t be seen for quite a while yet and will exacerbate his other mental health challenges.

Some people are more susceptible to concussions, and unfortunately past concussions make you more susceptible to future ones. The other issue is that the brain injury isn't just from big hits - it also accumulates from smaller ones.

Even if he was never to get knocked out again in an AFL game, the consequences of just taking regular bumps and hits over the years would have done damage too.
Given what he went through after stepping away from the saints it was crazy that he still wanted to play and that the AFL, doctors, and swans allowed him to play.

Hawthorn Clarko haters are going to be confused by norths apparently attacking style
5133E7E300000578-6262949-Best_known_for_his_role_as_the_lovable_neighbour_swept_up_in_a_l-a-16_1539213350225.jpg

You have attacking style. I have attacking style. My attacking style go to your home ground and blow you to ****ing sky.

Pucovski's quite a different case , more to it than a concussion issue
Pucovski is a ‘victim’ of the use of helmets ⛑️. There were no helmets when I played cricket and batsmen were coached to always watch the ball and step inside or duck under short balls. I cringe every time a batter takes their eyes off the ball and/or plays the ball in front of their head. Helmets are essential for protection however they have resulted in flawed technique and the number of batters getting hit on the helmet should be of real concern. Pucovski needs to employ a batting coach or retire.

Unfortunately that many concussions is going to do a lot of damage.

It’s why it’s concerning that AFL allowed Paddy McCartin to comeback or that Will Pucovski is still playing cricket.

This will hopefully start a movement of protecting these types of guys by retiring them sooner.

Sucks for the players but sometimes they have to be protected from themselves. We’ve already seen the effects of this in past players.

The challenge for doctors is that if they recommend a player retire but then the player ends up not developing CTE, what liability does the doctor carry for the misdiagnosis? You ended the guy's career for nothing.

The challenge with CTE (as I understand the challenge) is that it does not yet have a clinical diagnosis. Some people have repeat concussions and don't develop CTE. Other people have no history of concussion, much less contact sport, but do develop it. It's not like Cox's eye where the doctor was able to tell him, "If you get poked in the eye like that again, you're likely to get unrepairable damage." Cox can then decide whether to continue playing despite the risk, perhaps wearing protective eyewear. With CTE it's all still a mystery. It seems likely it's linked to concussions, especially repeat concussions in short order, but there's no statistically defendable table of outcomes, like with cancer, that medicos can refer to.

Heck, they don't even know if CTE is the primary brain damage concern from concussion. Could boxers be manifesting brain damage in other undiscovered ways? Even after almost 200 years we still can't explain the mechanics behind anesthesia. The brain is a challenging beast and the pile of smart but wrong guesses for phemomina is huge.

Pucovski is a ‘victim’ of the use of helmets ⛑️. There were no helmets when I played cricket and batsmen were coached to always watch the ball and step inside or duck under short balls. I cringe every time a batter takes their eyes off the ball and/or plays the ball in front of their head. Helmets are essential for protection however they have resulted in flawed technique and the number of batters getting hit on the helmet should be of real concern. Pucovski needs to employ a batting coach or retire.
Agree 100%, sometimes you would end up on your rse as you ducked and weaved but you never took your eyes off the ball and turned your eyes away. The helmet is a secondary protection device, not the primary as we see too many times these days.

And what about injury funds? Brayshaw will get some sort of payout and annuity stream for retiring for medical reasons. What happens if in five or six years it's determined that concussion does not affect CTE or they develop some scanning technique and learn he doesn't have it after all? Does he still get the money?

Everything is difficult when you're not dealing with a clinical diagnosis. Particularly when the media gets ahold of something as they do. Remember the silicon breast implant scare in the 80's and 90's? Huge payouts for ruptured silicone implants all based on bad science and media hype. It turns out that a very small cancer risk from implants may exist (still not proven) and seems to be related to the texture of the implant surface and has nothing to do with the filler, be it silicone or saline. But as for the risk of cancer from ruptured silicone? None. But the hype was huge and for 15 years the legal payouts were many and large.

So will CTE go the same way? Impossible to say. But I do know that the more the media hype an issue, the less inclined I am to believe it deserves the hype.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were you, I would want to be very confident before posting stuff like that.
Because if it's wrong, you could be in a world of pain.

Perhaps edit it just to protect yourself?

Last edited:
Very easy for us all to say "so and so should retire...health first". Sadly, opportunity cost and real world alternatives come into play. Brayshaw has long finance career ahead of him that will probably turn out more lucrative than AFL in the longer term and while it truly sucks to give up on AFL, economically as well as health wise, it's the right call (ie actual CTE will kill his ability for long term career in finance).

Can't talk to the McCartins of the world but if AFL is v likely to be their "peak earnings", then the temptation to keep going is real and will continue.

Not a great example, but working 80+ hours a week for 10+ years in a Consulting or Banking career is pretty s&it for your health and family life, but sets you up financially if you stick it out. In short, you wouldn't do it if you felt you didn't have to...

The challenge for doctors is that if they recommend a player retire but then the player ends up not developing CTE, what liability does the doctor carry for the misdiagnosis? You ended the guy's career for nothing.

The challenge with CTE (as I understand the challenge) is that it does not yet have a clinical diagnosis. Some people have repeat concussions and don't develop CTE. Other people have no history of concussion, much less contact sport, but do develop it. It's not like Cox's eye where the doctor was able to tell him, "If you get poked in the eye like that again, you're likely to get unrepairable damage." Cox can then decide whether to continue playing despite the risk, perhaps wearing protective eyewear. With CTE it's all still a mystery. It seems likely it's linked to concussions, especially repeat concussions in short order, but there's no statistically defendable table of outcomes, like with cancer, that medicos can refer to.

Heck, they don't even know if CTE is the primary brain damage concern from concussion. Could boxers be manifesting brain damage in other undiscovered ways? Even after almost 200 years we still can't explain the mechanics behind anesthesia. The brain is a challenging beast and the pile of smart but wrong guesses for phemomina is huge.
A player not developing CTE would be the winning scenario if they were forced to retire.

Even the doctors acknowledge there’s no way of 100% knowing if someone will develop CTE but they are just trying to play the odds to best protect the players.

There’s already payments for injured footballers but I think what would be best is if they set up a fund specifically for players forced to retire from concussions thereby guaranteeing the future for these guys who are forced to retire while also allowing the AFL and doctors to be more proactive in ending careers without taking away their livelihood.

Agree in most cases probably more out if first class stuff . Without derailing to a cricket discussion his technique in that regard is fine.
Saw him badged live twice , once a ball followed him so just good bowling . The other was variable bounce and he was caught out of position

Unfortunately facing bowling @135 plus leaves little for error and as a top order bat you will wear 1-2 .

Was essentially gifted games when he shouldn't have been but was given due to the lack of KPF competition. Talk about burning your bridges. What a douchebag.

It didn't read badly to me (I can't be bothered listening to the interview). He admitted that consistency is his failing and he never clicked under either Clarkson or Mitchell despite the opportunities. Additionally, he implied he plays best as the third tall and not the KPF. All true.

Was essentially gifted games when he shouldn't have been but was given due to the lack of KPF competition. Talk about burning your bridges. What a douchebag.
Did you even read the article? Said he loved his time at hawks and was very respectful. Blames his inconsistency with stagnating and needing a fresh start.

I don't think he burnt any bridges at all. He said just what you would expect him to say. He admitted he was inconsistent. He also indicated that he may have a bigger problem, in that he prefers a style where it is coming straight at him. Good luck with that.

Did you even read the article? Said he loved his time at hawks and was very respectful. Blames his inconsistency with stagnating and needing a fresh start.
Silly me, no I didn't. I was just going off SonnyDogDay's post. Sorry Kozzie… burning bridge extinguished 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back