No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone shed some light on this fixturing doozy for me?

Rd 19, 3 games scheduled to be played at Marvel, one must then be played on the Friday night correct?

2 of these games have already been played in prime time this year, Essendon v Adelaide this Friday gone & Carlton v North on Good Friday. This leaves Saints v Eagles as the only other game that can be played on the Friday night.

They tell us there’s no room for us on a Friday night then snooker themselves with shit like this. How crap
IMG_4558.png

Attachments

• IMG_4559.png
    IMG_4559.png
    425.6 KB · Views: 21
Toby Greene gets a week for contesting the mark and having the audacity to protect himself. He doesn’t and we have 2 concussions not one. Surely the player attacking the ball has right of way. When are we going to get the AFL to come out and say that running against the flight of the ball is not a good idea unless you can turn to protect yourself.

Brave, courageous, your turn etc etc but keep punishing the guy who attacks the ball and you’ll get more players risking serious injury because the against-the-flight guy knows he’s got free rein. Ditto the player who leads with the head aka Larkey or Close in the Cats game. Reward is free in front of goal.

What the AFL is doing is not removing the risk of concussion, it’s contributing to it. Heaven help the career of a player who pulls out of a marking contest because he senses another player running toward it against the flight.

Larkey cleans up Finn and gets the all clear - not even a free kick. I’m at a loss as to what Greene did wrong - imagine if he had pulled out of the contest. It’s ludicrous to think that the player heading towards the ball, has to give way to a player coming back

Larkey cleans up Finn and gets the all clear - not even a free kick. I’m at a loss as to what Greene did wrong - imagine if he had pulled out of the contest. It’s ludicrous to think that the player heading towards the ball, has to give way to a player coming back

I genuinely have no clue what’s what anymore. Larkey had eyes on Finn till the last second, left the ground, collected him high. Not sure he even made contact with the ball either?

I swear that was a 3 week suspension 5 minutes ago but for some reason that was just a great contest

I genuinely have no clue what’s what anymore. Larkey had eyes on Finn till the last second, left the ground, collected him high. Not sure he even made contact with the ball either?

I swear that was a 3 week suspension 5 minutes ago but for some reason that was just a great contest

No injury play on. Work that out.

List of things Toby Greene did wrong:

- Be Toby Greene

If he marked that and still knocked out the Carlton player, they'd pay the mark and that'd be it. It's a broken system.

Toby Green and Ward just played in their 100th loss as a pair.

This adds GWS to the list of teams that have a pair of players to have played in 100 losses as team mates.

There is one club left that has never had a pair of players play in 100 losses as team mates. Hawthorn.

Mitchell and Hodge are our highest at 97 games.

Last edited:

- Be Toby Greene

If he marked that and still knocked out the Carlton player, they'd pay the mark and that'd be it. It's a broken system.
What about Larkey? Same thing except hits him with fists not a bump not even discussed. It’s a very broken system.

Surely a free kick

Larkey hit the ball before anything else happened. It’s clear from the second camera angle.

You also see his hip connect with Finn’s ribs / armpit. Yes - Finn does get knocked over heavily, but the point of contact is below the shoulders and after Larkey has contested (successfully) the footy.

So it was in the act of contesting the footy and no one was injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the odds that Sonia Hood, Jennifer Watt and Alistair Clarkson will have already forwarded a grovelling submission for the Centrelink Shinbeggars to receive more draft concessions. Seriously the stand for nothing rabble should be folded to avoid further embarrassment to the league and themselves.

Larkey hit the ball before anything else happened. It’s clear from the second camera angle.

You also see his hip connect with Finn’s ribs / armpit. Yes - Finn does get knocked over heavily, but the point of contact is below the shoulders and after Larkey has contested (successfully) the footy.

Clear contact to the head. Mitigating concussion risk cant be wholly dependent on whether or not you touch the ball in the act of hitting someone in the head. Touching the ball does not reduce the risk and should not reduce the duty of care.

1713738338364.jpeg
1713738355162.jpeg

You really think he didn't touch his head?
1713738690545.png

Hawthorn facilities will run circles around the one at Punt Road.

I love how someone has rammed a pole right through the centre of the tiger's head.

Do you genuinely believe that there was no contact to the head?

- Be Toby Greene

And as with most things the AFL does, it'll try to fix the broken system by breaking it even more. Today it's Toby Greene, next week it could be one of our stars who cops a month or heaven forbid, Harley Reid just because they attacked the ball and someone got there a split second earlier. They should be commended for protecting themselves. The player running against the flight should have a duty of care to do the same.

Clear contact to the head. Mitigating concussion risk cant be wholly dependent on whether or not you touch the ball in the act of hitting someone in the head. Touching the ball does not reduce the risk and should not reduce the duty of care.

View attachment 1966898
View attachment 1966899

I couldn't hate the Shinbeggars any more than I presently do - but Larkey has eyes for the footy the entire time. Yes contact with the head is made but it's a contact sport, Finn is also on the descent as he jumped first and Larkey is on the ascent at the time hence the contact being made with the head. Larkey has zero ill-intent and is just trying to make a contest for the ball.

Mitigating concussion risk entirely is literally impossible unless you want Aussie Rules to look like a giant game of AFL 9s. It's a contact sport - things will happen. Larkey has not done a single thing wrong in that contest. This duty of care bullshit you keep spouting like with the Brayshaw incident is so illogical - if a player is running for the ball it is impossible for him to scan the pitch for all incoming players and take them and the ball into account when they only have eyes for the footy. They aren't Robocop with a sophisticated HUD to allow them to do what you expect of them.

Last edited:
I couldn't hate the Shinbeggars any more than I presently do - but Larkey has eyes for the footy the entire time. Yes contact with the head is made but it's a contact sport, Finn is also on the descent as he jumped first and Larkey is on the ascent at the time hence the contact being made with the head. Larkey has zero ill-intent and is just trying to make a contest for the ball.

Mitigating concussion risk entirely is literally impossible unless you want Aussie Rules to look like a giant game of AFL 9s. It's a contact sport - things will happen. Larkey has not done a single thing wrong in that contest. This duty of care bullshit you keep spouting like with the Brayshaw incident is so illogical - if a player is running for the ball it is impossible for him to scan the pitch for all incoming players and take them and the ball into account when they only have eyes for the footy. They aren't Robocop with a sophisticated HUD to allow them to do what you expect of them.

Was once in this mode of thought but I think I’ve changed my tune.

This happens to someone with a concussion history like Josh Ward and he’s not playing for 10 weeks. Just not space for it in the game anymore. If you’re that late to a contest that’s on you now and you can’t just plow through someone’s head and put them at severe risk.

What are the odds that Sonia Hood, Jennifer Watt and Alistair Clarkson will have already forwarded a grovelling submission for the Centrelink Shinbeggars to receive more draft concessions. Seriously the stand for nothing rabble should be folded to avoid further embarrassment to the league and themselves.

Clarkos just passing time for the Tassie devils gig

Was once in this mode of thought but I think I’ve changed my tune.

This happens to someone with a concussion history like Josh Ward and he’s not playing for 10 weeks. Just not space for it in the game anymore. If you’re that late to a contest that’s on you now and you can’t just plow through someone’s head and put them at severe risk.

Then we just make the game AFL 9s then. You can't dictate that players can't go up for a marking contest because there might be contact with an opponents head. Every bomb into the forward 50 could end in an errant elbow taking someone out accidentally, you simply can't take out every single concussion risk in a high speed contact sport. Larkey was doing his job, had eyes only for the football and Finn wasn't concussed. There's simply no reason for this to be an incident.

As a further example Anthony Scott's concussion last year robbed him of a steady first 22 position in the Bulldogs team. He has now gone down the pecking order there and will likely find it hard to get back in the senior side. That concussion may have impacted his career a little. The person who concussed him was his own teammate, Marcus Bontempelli, who went back with the flight of the ball to mark it and accidentally tunnelled him. Going back with the flight of the ball clearly has capacity to knock someone out - did Bontempelli owe a duty of care to players behind him? Of course he didn't - he was doing what players do and Scott's concussion was a really dreadful accident.

You can't eliminate accidents from the game - it will never happen. What I am absolutely all for is malicious attacks to the head being clamped down on. Sling tackles for the most part can be avoided - great rub them out. Striking another player in the head - suspend the hell out of someone. Late bumps or needless hits to the head where the only intention is to injure - like Jimmy Webster in the pre-season - the AFL should honestly suspend someone in a situation like that for 12-18 weeks minimum for mine because there is no place in the game for it. I am all for protecting the heads of players and avoid concussions - but the only way you can avoid all concussion risk is to eliminate all contact from the game and I don't think you'll be getting the attendances and TV ratings we presently get if we turn this into a contactless contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back