General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I am entirely unfamiliar with all the politics behind the move so can't comment about that.

But geez for a long long time Bennett WAS the Broncos. Has a bit of a "prodigal son returns home" feeling but could understand if some people see it as a desperate act.
The talk was he only won at the Broncos because of the side he had, then he went to St George and won there too. Newcastle didnt work out for a number of factors outside of his control. I think you will see an upswing next year (and Darius Boyd back), will also help their marketing hugely.

The talk was he only won at the Broncos because of the side he had, then he went to St George and won there too. Newcastle didnt work out for a number of factors outside of his control. I think you will see an upswing next year (and Darius Boyd back), will also help their marketing hugely.

I'm not sure Boyd will get a gig at the broncos TBH with both Milford and Barba there next year.

existing team balance and salary cap commitments will probably have the biggest say.
Possibly, but Boyd still a class player, an origin player. They are very close, I think they flatted together when at St George. (might be wrong player)

I'm not sure Boyd will get a gig at the broncos TBH with both Milford and Barba there next year.
Given Broncos recent inability to keep players happy or think ahead in any way, they'll probably have Milford, Barba, Hoffman and Boyd competing for the fullback spot.
Why not get Karmichael Hunt in too?
Then they will all leave the club after a season.
existing team balance and salary cap commitments will probably have the biggest say.
Yeah. Would be be taking up a bit much cap space just to play on the wing.

Heard Bennett will bring out his plans for Boyd at the conference too.

jiTOK4C.png

I've not seen Broncos fans this divided probably since Wally Lewis was sacked as captain. Depending on who you talk to, either:

(a) Griffin is a dud who has survived only because he's close to the CEO and Wayne is saving the club from itself
(b) Griffin is a gun coach who Wayne has brutally knifed in a not quite bloodless coup

I personally believe that any club is better off with Wayne Bennett involved but the question will be whether the ends justifies the means.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair to say interest in the Commonwealth Games is at an all time low?

A long fall from when Australia was swept up in our gold medal dominance in Auckland in 1994.

Good luck to our own Melanie Schlanger nonetheless!

I think as you get older it seems less important (like a lot of things), but when you're young the concept of winning a lot of gold medals is pretty cool. I'm actually interested to see if England continue their Olympics form.

Fair to say interest in the Commonwealth Games is at an all time low?

A long fall from when Australia was swept up in our gold medal dominance in Auckland in 1994.

Geez, make that 1990. That makes me feel old.

For me, as a former diehard Bronco's fan, Bennett should never have left. Still remember his last Bronco's game - the 08 prelim against Melbourne (* you A.Sims - will never forgive you for that dropped ball!) which we should have won. After the game I was left thinking how crazy we were just giving away the greatest NRL coach of all time.

No doubt Bronco are in worse shape now than when he left them.

I don't see what is wrong with the Com games btw, is it really hurting anyone?

I just mean, it is better having some extra feel good sports stories taking up news headlines, rather than more sad depressing MH17 stories or what ever other bad news is going on out there in the big bad world.

Well... Yeah. Sport is indeed better than hundreds of innocent people being shot out of the sky.

Just a strange extrapolation to make from a pretty benign discussion about whether the Commonwealth Games commands the attention of the masses like it used to.

Did anyone see Paul George's injury in the Team USA scrimmage? Absolutely horrific - he's a gun and it wasn't even a proper game either. May miss the whole of the next season. Poor bloke.

I'll link it here, but seriously, if you are squeamish I really recommend you don't watch it:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back