Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

TT would wanna be 100% squeaky clean from the moment he parted ways with North even to be considered a slight chance for us.

If there was any goosing on at all, you'd think us and every other club would instantly put a line through him.

He can't afford to be anything but perfect off-field, and if he isn't, well, that would just be further proof of how much he can't be trusted and how much of a moron he is.

Sure, in a perfect world (for Geelong), he'd come to us, turn his life around, and play great footy while keeping squeaky clean.

In reality... I don't think he has it in him and he is more likely to be a lost cause.

Last edited:
Nash doesn’t really do it for me. And I think he’s far more likely to get games with them than us. Why would he want to move?
Blitz approaching the end, opportunity to play in a premiership, MOC & Mullin as fellow irish alumni.

Classic Cats 'moneyball' approach too. If it's true, they'd have a very specific role in mind for him as usual.

Don't think it happens, but there's plenty of reasons for why it could.

Blitz approaching the end, opportunity to play in a premiership, MOC & Mullin as fellow irish alumni.

Classic Cats 'moneyball' approach too. If it's true, they'd have a very specific role in mind for him as usual.

Don't think it happens, but there's plenty of reasons for why it could.
Yeah if we see him as a guy that can be that mobile ruck like Blitz going forward, It makes sense.

In saying that, he basically has never been used as a ruck at the Hawks.

Just would need to be a competitive second option to chop out Conwway in the future, which at 198cm, looks like a possibility.

Blitz won't be around forever.

TT would wanna be 100% squeaky clean from the moment he parted ways with North even to be considered a slight chance for us.

If there was any goosing at all, you'd think us and every other club would instantly put a line through him.

He can't afford to be anything but perfect off-field, and if he isn't, well, that would just be further proof of how much he can't be trusted and how much of a moron he is.

Sure, in a perfect world (for Geelong), he'd come to us, turn his life around, and play great footy while keeping squeaky clean.

In reality... I don't think he has it in him and he is more likely to be a lost cause.

Yeah he's f***ed

Has there been any significant lack of sense ..have we approached him or made it known were interested in him specifically?
Yes. They have stated publicly (prior to this latest development) that they'd look at him and, if he met certain conditions, would draft him.

Yes. They have stated publicly (prior to this latest development) that they'd look at him and, if he met certain conditions, would draft him.

Nothing in that categorical stats we'd look at Thomas - either the article or snippet of interview. Neither Scott nor Mackie actually said "We're open to looking at Thomas"

Even Scott's answer from the press conference can be seen as more of a general answer rather than specially about Thomas

"I think it is good policy to be open minded.

We believe in second chances – that doesn’t mean that you can just roll in and do whatever you want. But I think, in principle, the idea of not getting to no too quickly is a good one.

But I think the most important thing is that we are open minded. Now that's a long long way from yes."

Both guys gave very professional answers that would tow the clubs line without committing either way - gives the media a story, while the club just gets on with things

The line from Scott and the club has been consistent re players who aren't good corporate citizens. I've also never personally taken the view that comments from the club on Tarryn Thomas are anything more than allowing list management to do its due diligence. I'd like to think the club looks at all talented players that may become available and scrutinise the fit through the Geelong lens prior to making any declarative statements.

The below is an excerpt from an article based off comments on AFL 360.

“I don’t know Jordan at all, but what I do know is that over the years at Geelong we’ve had some success at being really clear that we want players to be themselves and have their personalities shine through – within a framework,” Scott said.

“A good culture in an elite sporting involvement doesn’t involve a 100 per cent of players being ‘straighty 180s’. I reckon you need a few who push the boundaries.

“That’s what they tend to be those high-performers, those uber-competitive players. Some of them are a little bit edgy and they do present a management challenge, but I think you want that as opposed to shying away from it.

“I certainly would favour supporting those types of people as opposed to protecting the brand first and foremost.”

Interesting leak. It's clear they don't want any club to pick him up in case he turns it around and they look stupid. The leak was a form of reputation management.

We are taking McLure's word about how it went down but if I was TT I would be pretty pissed that North sent that out to all my potential employers in the industry. Dangerous way of going about it from a legal perspective I would have thought whatever you think about the person involved.

I wonder if Dusty is on the radar. My presumption is the sleepy hollow isn't his go.

If we have salary cap and aren't able to attract anyone this off-season on a long term contract, we could try and entice him down the highway for a year or two and plonk him at full forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Dusty is on the radar. My presumption is the sleepy hollow isn't his go.

If we have salary cap and aren't able to attract anyone this off-season on a long term contract, we could try and entice him down the highway for a year or two and plonk him at full forward.

Laugh Lol GIF

Is that for the VFL team?

The line from Scott and the club has been consistent re players who aren't good corporate citizens. I've also never personally taken the view that comments from the club on Tarryn Thomas are anything more than allowing list management to do its due diligence. I'd like to think the club looks at all talented players that may become available and scrutinise the fit through the Geelong lens prior to making any declarative statements.

The below is an excerpt from an article based off comments on AFL 360.

“I don’t know Jordan at all, but what I do know is that over the years at Geelong we’ve had some success at being really clear that we want players to be themselves and have their personalities shine through – within a framework,” Scott said.

“A good culture in an elite sporting involvement doesn’t involve a 100 per cent of players being ‘straighty 180s’. I reckon you need a few who push the boundaries.

“That’s what they tend to be those high-performers, those uber-competitive players. Some of them are a little bit edgy and they do present a management challenge, but I think you want that as opposed to shying away from it.

“I certainly would favour supporting those types of people as opposed to protecting the brand first and foremost.”
Not sure jordy would appreciate the comparison

We are taking McLure's word about how it went down but if I was TT I would be pretty pissed that North sent that out to all my potential employers in the industry. Dangerous way of going about it from a legal perspective I would have thought whatever you think about the person involved.
Yes and no. If you sack someone and you are called as a reference I believe you are legally obliged to mention they were sacked and the basis for which they were sacked. If I was North I would feel morally obliged to prevent damage to the league.

Reckon retirement is his go

Not sure jordy would appreciate the comparison
In what sense? The clubs outlook on evaluating players from other clubs with a chequered past, or playing resume? Only one was made and it's with reference to the clubs evaluation, not the actions of the individuals.

AFL. His team is poor. He's still an effective player.

Who's spot would be be taking, as we're already tight on spots up forward with players having to fight to break in

If he goes anywhere it'll be GC - let him reunite with Hardwick, and I'm not sure he's actually the type of player we need anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back