Ghostbusters - The Video Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the region free NTSC games work on our 360's?

Yes - hence the reason they are Region Free :D

List of region free games according to Play Asia

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-fc-49-en.html

Note, Ghostbusters is listed as Question Mark at this stage, as they obviously haven't tested it

See here

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dh-77-1-49-en-15-ghostbusters-70-2hlj.html

I own many NTSC J/U games, they are all work perfectly

The MP is not region locked either (except Army of Two)

Yep a deal Sony did to screw the PAL 360 owners. NTSC format in the US will get the game on time.
I don't think the deal was really done to 'screw' anyone(You might want to also think outside your own console, Wii owners don't get it either), I think Atari just might not have had enough to publish it worldwide and Sony have chipped in, all the signs were pointing that way for a fair while, in fact it was believed early on when the initial publisher parted ways that Sony would pick it up as a sole exclusive.

One thing that could be a factor at work is that Phil Harrison was at Sony and left quite recently to head up Atari, so whether some deal has been made because of him isn't really known.

But from what it is all looking like at the moment is simply that Sony have come in to help Atari out in publishing the game in the PAL region(Which is a big market) which will cut the slack for Atari which have had their own problems money-wise, as 90% of businesses are currently.

I don't think the deal was really done to 'screw' anyone(You might want to also think outside your own console, Wii owners don't get it either), I think Atari just might not have had enough to publish it worldwide and Sony have chipped in, all the signs were pointing that way for a fair while, in fact it was believed early on when the initial publisher parted ways that Sony would pick it up as a sole exclusive.

One thing that could be a factor at work is that Phil Harrison was at Sony and left quite recently to head up Atari, so whether some deal has been made because of him isn't really known.

But from what it is all looking like at the moment is simply that Sony have come in to help Atari out in publishing the game in the PAL region(Which is a big market) which will cut the slack for Atari which have had their own problems money-wise, as 90% of businesses are currently.

Of course its been done to disadvantage the other platforms, Oh and I own a Wii as well ;). It doesn't benefit Atari to hold back on releasing the product on the 360, Wii and DS. The only company that benefits from it is Sony.

The reason that Atari put out is complete BS.

"Ghostbusters: The Video Game is one of our most significant worldwide releases this summer,” said Atari Inc CEO Jim Wilson. “Through Atari's North America publishing business and alongside our partners at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, we have a strategically diversified approach to maximize a title of this magnitude on a global basis."

Which Sony themselves have contradicted.

“We’re committed to bringing the PlayStation family the biggest and best gaming experiences first,” explained Mark Hardy, Sony’s European Product Marketing Director, “and it doesn’t get any bigger and better than this blockbuster title. This summer, PlayStation owners will be the first to grab their proton packs and fight the spirit world. We’d like to wish them the best of luck in their ghostbusting endeavours and, of course, to remind them not to cross the streams!” department confirm it with this statement.

Don't get me wrong, Sony are running a business and if they want to hold off the release to get a advantage so be it. However a spade is a spade and there is no honourable intentions by Sony in this. No different then xbox getting exclusive rights to DLC on Fallout 3 and GTAIV

No different then xbox getting exclusive rights to DLC on Fallout 3 and GTAIV
Hardly, DLC that is likely never to see the light of day on another system compared to exclusivity for a few months (In one region) is NOT the same.

PS: I'd reply to your other comments, but I am on the PS3 and have a letter limit, so my reply would be severly shortened, I'll try and reply at another time.

Hardly, DLC that is likely never to see the light of day on another system compared to exclusivity for a few months (In one region) is NOT the same.

PS: I'd reply to your other comments, but I am on the PS3 and have a letter limit, so my reply would be severly shortened, I'll try and reply at another time.

My point was that what Microsoft did was to benefit themselves, just like Sony are doing now. I agree that PS3 owners got a pretty rough end of the stick on that one.

My point was that what Microsoft did was to benefit themselves, just like Sony are doing now. I agree that PS3 owners got a pretty rough end of the stick on that one.
I realised your points, but to even closley compare them is pretty rough.

The facts are MS paid for the exclusive rights to the DLC, as they do for exclusive rights to games(Apart from their couple of 1st party studios), Sony are part publishing this title, it is really a different situation, that is the main reason I think this is an Atari need help matter instead of a gimmie money matter, if Sony really wanted to stiff the opposition they would've paid for the exclusive rights to the game, not just a few month exclusive in one region, I truly believe that Atari are doing it hard and just needed a hand, in exchange for Sony helping them publish the game, they gave them the exclusivity for a few months.

Has anyone picked this up yet? Just watched the movie then, if I wasn't completely broke at the moment I would get it.

Well, appears the US 360 version is Region Free (http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-360-version-of-ghostbusters-not-region-locked-132821.phtml)

Meaning, anyone wanting to play the game on 360 in a PAL region can do so.

What a waste of time giving it a zoned / region exclusive to Sony

From ING:

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/992/992699p3.html

For all the fanboys out there who want to beat their chests about which system got it right, there are some differences between the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of this game. The PS3 features an eight-minute, 4 GB install that apparently doesn't do much seeing as how it takes both games about 30 seconds to load after a death or load a mission from the main screen. Although the PS3 has exclusive videos about refurbishing Ecto-1 and the Blu-ray trailer, the graphics seem to be a touch dumbed down on Sony's system. When you proton stream burns a wall on the 360, there's a black gouge in the wall that features smoldering embers and bits of fire. On the PS3, you get the fire and black gouge, but the little embers embedded in the cut don't make it. Similarly, when you attack Stay Puft on Microsoft's console, you're making dramatic changes to his puffy exterior. On the PS3, these changes aren't as severe -- it's almost like a bruise rather than a fiery cut. Still, I'll save you the suspense and tell you both versions are getting the same score for graphics because the overall package is solid

EDIT: for those wanting to pick it up on 360 early:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-19-71-bn-49-en-15-Ghostbusters-43-bn.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does look very poor on the PS3, I wonder why?
Lazy devs.

It's really strange because they were the ones boasting about the PS3 being the lead platform to develop on and it would give "Amazing results"(As seen earlier in this thread
"The PS3 is a more demanding system to develop on and it is what the Infernal Engine was designed to exploit from the ground up. With the multiple SPUs it has onboard a solid multithreaded engine design can really take advantage of that and give you some amazing results."

Basically at the end of the day, if the PS3 ends up with a worse looking/performing game it comes down to the devs not really wanting to get the most or at least equal power that will match on each platform.

When i went and bought a Wii last week i noticed it was the same day of release of Ghostbusters, so i grabbed a copy for PS3.

Awesome game, moreso if you're a fan of the movies like myself. Some of the missions you have to complete take you back to moments from both movies, one of which involves having to track down and capture Slimer in the dining room of that classy hotel like in original Ghostbusters film. Quite fun destroying tables, fine china, and that massive chandelier whilst the pompous doorman kicks up a fuss. :D

The jokes are a nice touch also, with all of the original cast members providing their voices for the characters, and the game would've made for a decent sequel to the films if they wanted to go in that direction. Makes me want to go and watch the films now. :thumbsu:

Overall, 8/10. Just don't cross the streams! :p

Just rented it from Videoezy...i love bumping old threads. Glad it's only short, have it for three days....let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things DOWNTOWN!!:D.....jeez, it looks it age LOL

Just rented it from Videoezy...i love bumping old threads. Glad it's only short, have it for three days....let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things DOWNTOWN!!:D.....jeez, it looks it age LOL

do you have a ps3?

if so the ps3 version is apparently about as ugly as a ps3 game gets.
the 360 version was the INFINITELY superior looking version.

still, graphics since them certainly have improved a great deal anyway.

I didn't mind it, in fact i finished it 3x over - although i purchased it on ps3 first.... i didn't actually finish it (stuck towards the tail end of the first level for ages). When the 360 version finally came out over here, i purchased and played through it completely..... then moved back to the ps3 version. I purchased it on pc (looks great too if i say so myself :thumbsu:) when Steam reduced it a few months ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back