Training Giants Pre-Season for season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Shipley’s performance is amazing. Puts pressure on Hopper and Setterfield knowing they’ve got this big, quick young kid who can run all day pushing for the same spot.
No-one will be putting pressure on Setters.

He's going to absolutely explode this year.

I don’t bet sorry. I hope you’re right. Whose spot do you see him taking?
BEST 22

FB: Shaw — Corr — Tomlinson

HB: Haynes — Davis — Williams

CT: Scully — Ward — Kelly

HF: Greene — Cameron — Whitfield

FF: Deledio — Patton — Himmelberg

RR: Lobb — Shiel — Coniglio

Int: Hopper — Taranto — Setterfield — Griffen

He is in my best 22. Griffen and Deledio will need good form in the preseason to keep out Reid, de Boer and potentially langdon

BEST 22

FB: Shaw — Corr — Tomlinson

HB: Haynes — Davis — Williams

CT: Scully — Ward — Kelly

HF: Greene — Cameron — Whitfield

FF: Deledio — Patton — Himmelberg

RR: Lobb — Shiel — Coniglio

Int: Hopper — Taranto — Setterfield — Griffen

He is in my best 22. Griffen and Deledio will need good form in the preseason to keep out Reid, de Boer and potentially langdon
No talls on the bench. So Setterfield effectively takes DeBoers spot?

In the BEST 22 above, who is replacing the rebound and penetration of Nathan Wilson, because that backline is just the same as last year only without him.
Suggest a 3 way race between Lids/ Griffin/ The Pez for a half back spot in the 22

In the BEST 22 above, who is replacing the rebound and penetration of Nathan Wilson, because that backline is just the same as last year only without him.
Suggest a 3 way race between Lids/ Griffin/ The Pez for a half back spot in the 22
I can easily see Deledio playing in Wilson’s spot. Good run, great kick. Is stronger in the contest than Wilson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ichabod Noodle likes this very much.:)

Yes, that's a great sight to see. And I reckon the tight haircut means he's really determined to focus on getting back into the team.

Athletically Shipley is a gun but for now its more about building his footy IQ

I continue to be impressed by Shipley's athleticism and drive, but the determinant (sorry, no pun intended!) of his success will be his footy skills and smarts. Hopefully they can develop at a rapid rate too.

In the BEST 22 above, who is replacing the rebound and penetration of Nathan Wilson, because that backline is just the same as last year only without him. Suggest a 3 way race between Lids/ Griffin/The Pez for a half back spot in the 22.

My concern would be the lack of speed on those guys. If Lids comes back near 100%, I'd agree he would be a reasonable option covering those skills providing he's retained his speed after his calf troubles. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing Setterfield have a shot at the spot. Similar to how Essendon threw Andy McGrath into a counterattacking HBFer role last year with a view to moving him forward later. Setterfield has 1-on-1 skills, good kicking skills and some run. He won't take a wing or inside mid spot away from the guys playing there now (yet), and Wilson's spot is one that we clearly need to fill.

Very interested to see what reports we get out of early 2018 training on the options. Some of the recent articles about the Bulldogs & Tigers' flags have talked about them being the result not of a 'small forward' revolution, rather a result of simply having the 'best 22 team' on the field (i.e. playing smaller players if your talls aren't up to scratch). So, if Setterfield has 'it', we definitely need to be getting him on the field.

Not like for like though. Setters is strictly an inside mid. Nothing like Lids.
I think with Setterfield it is hard to see how versatile he is after his injury interrupted year. It will be interesting to see where he is trialed as i think he will play an important part this year although the fitness of Griffen and Deledio will impact on opportunities for the 1/2 year players
I have mentioned before and not sure why but i see Whitfield as a player who can go back and has the kicking game to play off half back and Kennedy is another option

I think with Setterfield it is hard to see how versatile he is after his injury interrupted year. It will be interesting to see where he is trialed as i think he will play an important part this year although the fitness of Griffen and Deledio will impact on opportunities for the 1/2 year players
I have mentioned before and not sure why but i see Whitfield as a player who can go back and has the kicking game to play off half back and Kennedy is another option
When is Kenners back?

It is great how all 3 teams are treated through the club.

Anyone going?
dfb6f9ac15540a3ce4abb4db61fb4707.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back