Training Giants Pre-Season for season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Only worry I have about Taranto is second year syndrome. A lot of precocious youngsters do hit a flat spot. And he had a incredible first year. Long term he's exciting and will be a critical part of our midfield no doubt.
Daniel Loyd was very promising to me, and indication he's building his body to the elite level, and he might be a serious option next year hopefully.
In perspective would be interesting to compare the times with Scully who will no doubt smash to the next time trial.

Interesting -
The GIANTS will take their pre-season training camp to the Blue Mountains this year with the entire playing group heading to the town of Leura on Wednesday. In previous years the GIANTS have headed north to Noosa on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast but have chosen to stay at home and use their own backyard to ramp up their preparations for the 2018 season. The GIANTS players can expect to be tested both physically and mentally across the three day camp. With the senior members of the playing group returning to the WestConnex Centre on Monday, the camp will be an opportunity to build relationships with the GIANTS’ new recruits including the seven draftees who arrived at the club last week. Only an hour’s drive from Parramatta, Leura is considered one of the most picturesque towns in the Blue Mountains and is a popular tourist destination with the Three Sisters rock formation and The Giants Stairway nearby.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-12-04/camping-in-our-backyard

From the AFL’s own website. I don’t know who this Dinny Navaratnam is, but I would describe him as a clueless w*nker

GWS running machine keeps time trial crown
Dinny Navaratnam December 4, 2017 3:22 PM

RUNNING machine Tom Scully has maintained his crown as Greater Western Sydney's time trial champion by again winning the 3km race.

On the first day of pre-season for the whole Giants squad, the wingman led from start to finish.

Adam Tomlinson, who sought a move to St Kilda in the NAB AFL Trade Period, ended well but could not catch Scully.

Star midfielder Josh Kelly rounded out the top three.

Key forward Jeremy Cameron posted a career-best finish, in seventh.

Draftee Nick Shipley, who was selected at No.64 last month as an academy selection, finished eighth.

The entire list did not participate – second-to-fourth-year players did a time trial a fortnight ago and did not take part, while those on restricted duties also skipped the race.

Three-kilometre time trial results
1. Tom Scully
2. Adam Tomlinson
3. Josh Kelly
4. Lachie Whitfield
5. Stephen Coniglio
6. Matt de Boer
7. Jeremy Cameron
8. Nick Shipley
9. Dylan Shiel
10. Sam Reid

More By Dinny Navaratnam

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tommo’s urge to head home to Melbourne oddly fell away just after he established himself as a first team regular.

And got himself a girlfriend.
And a semi-regular radio gig.
And he got used to living where he was living.
And his life settled down like it usually does for someone in their mid twenties.

I think its interesting we start pre-season with a 3k time trial. Would love to know the thinking behind it as I know many clubs have forgone it as a relevant measure of fitness in favor of the yo-yo test. I wonder why we have not made that move

I think its interesting we start pre-season with a 3k time trial. Would love to know the thinking behind it as I know many clubs have forgone it as a relevant measure of fitness in favor of the yo-yo test. I wonder why we have not made that move

I know North have moved to doing a yoyo test, then your got Port doing 3 x 1km trials but the majority of clubs are either doing 2k or 3k time trials but more clubs are starting to head towards doing 2k. But it all comes down to calls by clubs fitness heads just as at one stage there was a move towards doing high altitude training, then it changed to heat training.

Last edited:
I know North have moved to doing a yoyo test, then your got Port doing 3 x 1km trials but the majority of clubs are either doing 2k or 3k time trials but more clubs are starting to head towards doing 2k. But it all comes down to calls by clubs fitness heads just as at one stage there was a move towards doing high altitude training, then it changed to heat training.

Eventually someone will figure out they need footy training..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back