Gillon is repairing some of the damage done by Demetriou

Remove this Banner Ad

I know, I just can't stand what we put up with.
Restaurants, are generally of good value & quality but if you want something quick & easy you get absolute crap.

Went to Movie World earlier this year, to the new "Rick's Café American". Absolute slop, it ended up being a "pizza hut all you could eat" type deal.
Tasteless, dry & had been hanging around for a looooong time, disgusting. The pasta sauce was tinned Leggos Pasta & beef sauce slopped over some congealed pasta all for $25 PP.

I spat it out, looked around the room at the dullards with their snouts eating it up, yelled this food is s**t & walked out.

We put up with it in the end & so it keeps getting slopped up.

I'll be taking my Sourdough,pastrami, mayo, spiced gherkin, tasty cheese & onion sangas to the footy again next year.

LOL, I imagined this in Brian Blessed's voice and King Richard get-up.

Ticketing charge? Do you ever leave your house? There's a ticketing charge on every concert and theatre ticket you buy.
But can the size of that charge be commercially justified? Or is it unreasonable exploitation of a monopoly situation?
Consider that the charge was less when the ticket agencies had to staff booths in shopping centres/ Myer/ had telephone operators. People who woul dhelp you find the best ticket, and in the case of comedy festival help coordinate your event program so you could see all you wanted, and get the best value available as well.

Now you book the ticket yourself online, print it out at home. Yet pay more?

But can the size of that charge be commercially justified? Or is it unreasonable exploitation of a monopoly situation?
Consider that the charge was less when the ticket agencies had to staff booths in shopping centres/ Myer/ had telephone operators. People who woul dhelp you find the best ticket, and in the case of comedy festival help coordinate your event program so you could see all you wanted, and get the best value available as well.

Now you book the ticket yourself online, print it out at home. Yet pay more?

In other news, the price of food has increased in recent years.

Id love to see some evidence of this in his capacity as CEO of the AFL. Whats that? You have none. Well then. The guy has had his job since June, and everyone is judging the man by his appearance and his brother. Well done, lynch mob.

Yes he negotiated the last tv deal, and was involved in the one before that. Yes he's involved in the thankless task that is the fixture. No one is ever going to get that right, and theres a fine balance between a equitable fixture with the number of teams we have, and the tv audience for marquee nights and events. Far too many people wanting to get their cake and eat it too as they say.
McLachlan hasn't even bothered to hide his wish to oust Hawthorn from Tassie and relocate North for more games. That's his idea of a Tasmanian team. He has been a central figure in the AFL's ongoing campaign to bully Hawthorn into withdrawing from Tassie by giving us a s**t fixture every year.

He can get f**ked. The AFL are like petulant children when they don't get their way. They use the fixture like a big stick to shaft clubs who don't play ball with the AFL. Hawthorn doesn't care. They just keep winning and making profits irrespective of what the AFL serves up. The Hawks succeed in spite of the AFL.

Meanwhile, it's us Hawk fans who are the ones who are shafted when they play their petty games with the fixture. Thanks for looking after the "grass roots" fans, Gill, you campaigner… Good to know my lifetime of being a loyal customer is rewarded….. "Hot chips are too expensive" Blah blah blah Yeah, F**k you, Mr Man of the People...

It doesnt mean he cant try to negotiate something without the MCC losing revenue. They can increase the guaranteed crowds from 2 million to 2.5 million for instance without too much being effected on the AFLs side the AFL are currently paid a fee per head after 2 million so there is wiggle room to negotiate with if either side are so inclined. Starting this year the number of games at Etihad is reduced down to 40 from 44, so they can guarantee more games at the MCG as well.

he might have thought it was futile to try, but it doesnt mean he cant try. And all he promised is that he would try.

More games overall at the MCG, huh? Fewer games overall at Etihad Stadium?? Really? That's interesting...
Hawthorn plays 2 fewer games at the MCG next season and 2 extra games at our non-preferred Etihad Stadium
We play more games at Etihad and fewer at the MCG than every other MCG tenant.

Probably just a coincidence… :rolleyes: It's always just a coincidence...

I notice the AFL have maintained their "tradition" of giving Hawthorn the most difficult draw with two matches versus all of last year's top 4 teams. At least Sydney don't get it as easy in 2015 as they did in 2014 - they also play last year's top 4 rivals twice.

But this is the NEW RULE since 2012, isn't it? A weighted fixture to correspond to each team's ladder position. """EQUALISATION"""

It will be interesting to see how this "new rule" holds up when one of Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton or Richmond finish in the top two with teams such as Gold Coast, GWS, Port and Freo alongside them in the Top 4. It will be difficult to gift them all those Big Four MCG blockbusters amongst their 5 return clashes when they've gotta play the top 4 teams twice.

Hmmmm… I'm going to hazard a guess that is "new rule" will be conveniently shelved and the media & fans will simply forget that Hawthorn was given the hardest draw for 3 or 4 consecutive seasons. It will just be one more rule which the AFL made up as they went along and discarded when it suited them to do so. Just another rule which applies to some clubs, but not others...

Gillon McLachlan can go f**k himself. He is an entrenched part of an AFL executive which has rigged the fixtures progressively worse over the years and whored the scheduling out to TV networks. Not to mention, he warned Essendon about using peptides (they knew all along) and tipped the Bombers off about the Federal investigation. McLachlan and Demetriou tried to limit the damage, engineer a soft outcome and minimise the disruption to the AFL's money-making pursuits (as opposed to running a clean sport.)

And they wonder why the crowds are voting with their feet?!?!

Last edited:
McLachlan hasn't even bothered to hide his wish to oust Hawthorn from Tassie and relocate North for more games. That's his idea of a Tasmanian team. He has been a central figure in the AFL's ongoing campaign to bully Hawthorn into withdrawing from Tassie by giving us a s**t fixture every year.

He can get f**ked. The AFL are like petulant children when they don't get their way. They use the fixture like a big stick to shaft clubs who don't play ball with the AFL. Hawthorn doesn't care. They just keep winning and making profits irrespective of what the AFL serves up. The Hawks succeed in spite of the AFL.

Meanwhile, it's us Hawk fans who are the ones who are shafted when they play their petty games with the fixture. Thanks for looking after the "grass roots" fans, Gill, you campaigner… Good to know my lifetime of being a loyal customer is rewarded….. "Hot chips are too expensive" Blah blah blah Yeah, F**k you, Mr Man of the People...

More games overall at the MCG, huh? Fewer games overall at Etihad Stadium?? Really? That's interesting...
Hawthorn plays 2 fewer games at the MCG next season and 2 extra games at our non-preferred Etihad Stadium

I notice the AFL have maintained their "tradition" of giving Hawthorn the most difficult draw with two matches versus all of last year's top 4 teams. At least Sydney don't get it as easy in 2015 as they did in 2014 - they also play last year's top 4 rivals twice.

But this is the NEW RULE since 2012, isn't it? A weighted fixture to correspond to each team's ladder position. """EQUALISATION"""

It will be interesting to see how this "new rule" holds up when one of Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton or Richmond finish in the top two with teams such as Gold Coast, GWS, Port and Freo alongside them in the Top 4. It will be difficult to gift them all those Big Four MCG blockbusters amongst their 5 return clashes when they've gotta play the top 4 teams twice.

Hmmmm… I'm going to hazard a guess that is "new rule" will be conveniently shelved and the media & fans will simply forget that Hawthorn was given the hardest draw for 3 or 4 consecutive seasons. It will just be one more rule which the AFL made up as they went along and discarded when it suited them to do so. Just another rule which applies to some clubs, but not others...

Gillon McLachlan can go f**k himself. He is an entrenched part of an AFL executive which has rigged the fixtures progressively worse over the years and whored the scheduling out to TV networks. Not to mention, he warned Essendon about using peptides (they knew all along) and tipped the Bombers off about the Federal investigation. McLachlan and Demetriou tried to limit the damage, engineer a soft outcome and minimise the disruption to the AFL's money-making pursuits (as opposed to running a clean sport.)

Umadbro?
Seriously, you are on the money, mostly.

Restaurants, are generally of good value & quality but if you want something quick & easy you get absolute crap.

Went to Movie World earlier this year, to the new "Rick's Café American". Absolute slop, it ended up being a "pizza hut all you could eat" type deal.
Tasteless, dry & had been hanging around for a looooong time, disgusting. The pasta sauce was tinned Leggos Pasta & beef sauce slopped over some congealed pasta all for $25 PP.

I spat it out, looked around the room at the dullards with their snouts eating it up, yelled this food is s**t & walked out.

I'll be taking my Sourdough,pastrami, mayo, spiced gherkin, tasty cheese & onion sangas to the footy again next year.
Where do you sit? I'll sneak in the booze!

As far as I can tell he literally said that he wants one team to play at least 8 games there. He didnt nominate a team. As far as I can tell he hasnt even hinted. If you can find me a specific quote, ill stand corrected.

Its not in these articles

The AFL have to look after more than Hawthorn. They use the fixture like a big stick when they dont play ball? How have Hawthorn been penalised fixture wise? No really Im waiting for this? and it better not be "we dont get big teams to play in Tasmania" either.

God forbid I should refer to the total games at the G played by the AFL and not specifically Hawthorn.

You won the goddamn flag. Theres a price to be paid for success that has held up relatively consistently since 1987 when the league went to more teams that it could accommodate properly in a 22 round season.

In the 2015 fixture, Carlton play Essendon once next year. The first time thats happened in decades. In return we get a return game against Hawthorn. I havent checked everyones fixture, but i suspect other guaranteed return blockbuster games have also been nixed.

Answered above. Want an easier draw? Relocate to Sydney and Brisbane.

They wonder why crowds voted with their feet? Unfriendly times and bullshit extra costs. It wasnt because of the Essendon saga. And given that every stakeholder says that not only did the AFL not tip off essendon, but that they didnt have the goddamn information. God forbid that the AFL executive do their goddamn jobs and try to limit damage to the competition where they could.

But hey i speak for a minority argument.

Irrelevant, I paid $25 for food, I got s**t on a plate.
I don't doubt it. The inclusion of American in the name should have been read as s**t on a plate is the point I was making (in an attempted light hearted manner).

Look, fast food/junk food has a place. The fact some people eat too much of it is no more a reason to slag off Australian food as is the fact that some people drink too much and hit people is a reason to slag off alcohol. You sound like a bit of a food snob. That's fine my wife reckons I'm a wine snob. It's just a question of taste and priority and in some cases budget. It isn't accidental that there is no Maccs in Brighton but there are plenty in lower income areas. My kids love Maccas and I limit their access but I don't "ban" it. I make sure my kids have a good diet overall. They get their share of meat, vegies, fruit etc but they get their share of nuggets & chips even know I know they aren't much good for them and make sure that "there share" is pretty limited. They get ice cream or lollies some times too and I'll have more wine than I should on a weekend. Saturday afternoon footy is pre game pie & chips for me and chips for the kids and a half time donut. Sunday dinner is often a roast.

Balance is important in everything. In Melbourne you can get just about any food you want. Footy Pies might be over priced but have you been to Vue De Monde or Nobu? Nice food but bloody hell!

I don't doubt it. The inclusion of American in the name should have been read as s**t on a plate is the point I was making (in an attempted light hearted manner).

Look, fast food/junk food has a place. The fact some people eat too much of it is no more a reason to slag off Australian food as is the fact that some people drink too much and hit people is a reason to slag off alcohol. You sound like a bit of a food snob. That's fine my wife reckons I'm a wine snob. It's just a question of taste and priority and in some cases budget. It isn't accidental that there is no Maccs in Brighton but there are plenty in lower income areas. My kids love Maccas and I limit their access but I don't "ban" it. I make sure my kids have a good diet overall. They get their share of meat, vegies, fruit etc but they get their share of nuggets & chips even know I know they aren't much good for them and make sure that "there share" is pretty limited. They get ice cream or lollies some times too and I'll have more wine than I should on a weekend. Saturday afternoon footy is pre game pie & chips for me and chips for the kids and a half time donut. Sunday dinner is often a roast.

Balance is important in everything. In Melbourne you can get just about any food you want. Footy Pies might be over priced but have you been to Vue De Monde or Nobu? Nice food but bloody hell!

Food is one thing. But If you were a decent parent, you would make them follow a club other than Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not draft tampering, its removing welfare to promote an even playing field for all teams.

I think everyone was under the impression that this (Cola) had been dealt with & was to be fazed out over 2 years (at least that's my understanding) & the club was working under that assumption.

Then just before the trade period the AFL drop the ultimatum, which effectively preventing us from trading in a player without breaching the salary cap. I understand that preventing a club from participating in the draft has happened before, but that was for a breach of rules. I doubt anyone could mount a case that the Swans have broken any rules. So IMO that equates to draft tampering.

I know the Cola thing has been done to death about how its paid & I don't profess to how that myself, but from my understanding it's,
1. Apart of the player contracts &
2. Funded by the AFL, either directly to the club or player.

So, I have a few questions, if my understanding of the cola thing is correct (which I'm happy to be corrected) is true.
1. If the AFL fund the cola, how can they pass that contractually obligation on the Swans, thus forcing them to include it in the TPP.
2. If it's not funded by the AFL & Sydney just have a higher cap than the rest, how can the AFL logically change that just before the trade period without giving the club any time to plan for that change.

So IMHO, preventing a club from participating form the draft for no valid reason is draft tampering.

I think everyone was under the impression that this (Cola) had been dealt with & was to be fazed out over 2 years (at least that's my understanding) & the club was working under that assumption.

Then just before the trade period the AFL drop the ultimatum, which effectively preventing us from trading in a player without breaching the salary cap. I understand that preventing a club from participating in the draft has happened before, but that was for a breach of rules. I doubt anyone could mount a case that the Swans have broken any rules. So IMO that equates to draft tampering.

I know the Cola thing has been done to death about how its paid & I don't profess to how that myself, but from my understanding it's,
1. Apart of the player contracts &
2. Funded by the AFL, either directly to the club or player.

So, I have a few questions, if my understanding of the cola thing is correct (which I'm happy to be corrected) is true.
1. If the AFL fund the cola, how can they pass that contractually obligation on the Swans, thus forcing them to include it in the TPP.
2. If it's not funded by the AFL & Sydney just have a higher cap than the rest, how can the AFL logically change that just before the trade period without giving the club any time to plan for that change.

So IMHO, preventing a club from participating form the draft for no valid reason is draft tampering.

Actually, the AFL wanted to phase out COLA right away (as it is clearly an unfair advantage).

The Swans knew about the coming end of COLA and decided to lock in Buddy on a long-term deal in an attempt to make it as hard as possible to remove COLA.

End result: The AFL in an attempt to fix past mistakes had no option but to give Sydney a transition phase before the end of COLA (as Swans would have been unable to immediately abide by everyone else's salary cap due to their player payment structure).

However, the AFL did not want Sydney to continue to utilise its unfair advantage during the transition phase.

Long story short, Sydney can trade. They just need to ensure that taking any new player does not result in them having a salary cap higher than everyone else's. In other words, they need to abide by the same rules that everyone else has (apart from GWS).

As long as they meet this criteria, there is no restriction.

Its a common sense solution to a legacy problem.

LOL.

Food is one thing. But If you were a decent parent, you would make them follow a club other than Collingwood.
Quite a few years back my son said he was going to barrack for North after they beat us - and his mate from school barracked for North. I said I hope he liked living at ....'s house (forget the kids name). He's sorted now though and so is his sister.

Quite a few years back my son said he was going to barrack for North after they beat us - and his mate from school barracked for North. I said I hope he liked living at ....'s house (forget the kids name). He's sorted now though and so is his sister.

Fair enough.

Actually, the AFL wanted to phase out COLA right away (as it is clearly an unfair advantage).

1. The Swans knew about the coming end of COLA and decided to lock in Buddy on a long-term deal in an attempt to make it as hard as possible to remove COLA.

2. End result: The AFL in an attempt to fix past mistakes had no option but to give Sydney a transition phase before the end of COLA (as Swans would have been unable to immediately abide by everyone else's salary cap due to their player payment structure).

3. However, the AFL did not want Sydney to continue to utilise its unfair advantage during the transition phase.

4. Long story short, Sydney can trade. They just need to ensure that taking any new player does not result in them having a salary cap higher than everyone else's. In other words, they need to abide by the same rules that everyone else has (apart from GWS).

5. As long as they meet this criteria, there is no restriction.

6. Its a common sense solution to a legacy problem.

I don't think you addressed my concerns in my post, I have added points to your post & will give you my take on them.

1. You may be right or it may be pure speculation, my understanding is that only a portion of Buddy's contract has a cola component. Sure the club has argued the need for cola but IMHO they knew it was going to be phased out. ie. Brisbane having theirs phased out over 3 years. Personally I wish it was gone but that can't happen immediately as you pointed out in point 2.

2. Totally agree with you here, by forcing the Swans to include a AFL sanctioned allowance into their cap (which is the same for ALL clubs) is effectively forcing the club to breach cap rules.

3. The Swans put all contract talks on hold in May this year because of the talks about phasing out of cola & the ramification of that going forward. Sometime after that the 2 year phasing cola out was agreed upon & all new contracts would not have a cola component.eg. Mike Pykes new contract. So signing a uncontracted player this trade period would not include cola & the so called "unfair advantage".

4. No the Swans can't trade, as per you point 2, without breaching the salary cap or redoing all current contracts ( which would be impossible) & IMO the AFL know this.

5. IMO its impossible to met this criteria as I have outlined above.

6. The common sense approach was in place ie. phasing out cola & honoring current contract as agreed to early this year.

Sorry for the longwinded reply but, as a passionate fan of my club (as we all are) I only want the best for my club & couldn't care less if cola was there or not, but, IMHO the AFL has reacted to certain pressures within the league & have made a unfair ruling.

The Swans knew about the coming end of COLA and decided to lock in Buddy on a long-term deal in an attempt to make it as hard as possible to remove COLA.

End result: The AFL in an attempt to fix past mistakes had no option but to give Sydney a transition phase before the end of COLA (as Swans would have been unable to immediately abide by everyone else's salary cap due to their player payment structure).

However, the AFL did not want Sydney to continue to utilise its unfair advantage during the transition phase.

Long story short, Sydney can trade. They just need to ensure that taking any new player does not result in them having a salary cap higher than everyone else's. In other words, they need to abide by the same rules that everyone else has (apart from GWS).

As long as they meet this criteria, there is no restriction.

Its a common sense solution to a legacy problem.

Let's be very clear.

Building a sustainable team in a rugby league/rugby union/soccer dominated state in Australia is a massive task. It is a long term mission. The success of the Swans in the last ten years after 20 years of strife is a testament to the management of Colless and others whose talents made the best out of what they had at their disposal.

To say our success was due mainly to a cost of living allowance which is one- fortieth of football spending each year - when we don't have the obvious natural advantages of a Melbourne-based AFL club - is churlish, ignorant, redneck rubbish.

Anyone who knows anything about sporting calibre and culture, from outside our code, would shake their head and laugh at this recent attempt by the AFL to damage our club - and at the ignorant VFL dinosaur bogans who delight in the damage being done to one of their own clubs.

The NRL made a mockery of itself when it attacked its own foundation clubs to let Murdoch have his way and bastardise rugby league to enrich himself. The AFL always stood out as a strong, independent, professional organisation that didn't seem to stoop to pettiness and influences from egotists. My, how that has changed.

Bang ******* on mate. We'll wait with baited breath for the excuses.

You sound like an utter w***er, if that helps.

If you don't like it, don't eat it pal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back