Goal Line Decision Review System

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions had a Bullshit win today, this is why there was no replay, anyone that says otherwise is blind or dumb.

Even if you thought it was a goal, surely you concede that Glass' hip & shoulder down the other end should have been a free and a goal to Brisbane?

Oh so it was clearly touched because of the way you perceived Darlings reaction, not watch a replay of the footage shows..... powerful logic.

Whats this crap some others about Darlings reaction - he does a fist pump arm swing upwards like Hill, then slips and sees the umps call and slaps the ground coz he's pissed at the call... how does that support it being touched.

And look at the Lions player, looks dejected as he slides to ground and doesn't even try to claim touched

The shoulder hit Green's head. It was high.
No shoulder, Glass didn't turn, he put his arms across his chest 'basketball block' style and Green headbutted Glass's chest... Not too sure what else Glass could have done in the circumstance. :confused:

As for the Darling decision, still a little perplexed, was jumping around my loungeroom celebrating, then 30 seconds later was in shock. Agree with Brazen, Darling was celebrating with Hill, Brisbane player lying on the ground not claiming touched or anything, then slapped the ground once the umpire called a point. Brisbane deserved the win, were the better team all day.

No shoulder, Glass didn't turn, he put his arms across his chest 'basketball block' style and Green headbutted Glass's chest... Not too sure what else Glass could have done in the circumstance. :confused:

As for the Darling decision, still a little perplexed, was jumping around my loungeroom celebrating, then 30 seconds later was in shock. Agree with Brazen, Darling was celebrating with Hill, Brisbane player lying on the ground not claiming touched or anything, then slapped the ground once the umpire called a point. Brisbane deserved the win, were the better team all day.
Ducked?

No shoulder, Glass didn't turn, he put his arms across his chest 'basketball block' style and Green headbutted Glass's chest... Not too sure what else Glass could have done in the circumstance.

Get down low and tackle him? Glass ran towards ball originally, when Green got possession, Glass decided to bump instead of tackle and got him in the head.

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/455942/The thriller/

Last two minutes up on the AFL website, shows the contentious behind decision as well as Glass high tackle.

Get down low and tackle him? Glass ran towards ball originally, when Green got possession, Glass decided to bump instead of tackle and got him in the head.

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/455942/The thriller/

Last two minutes up on the AFL website, shows the contentious behind decision as well as Glass high tackle.

I still argue he didn't actually bump, he stood his ground and had pretty much stopped before contact was made, was all split second, and video above is missing the best angle that was shown on gameday.

Had Glass tried to tackle he probably would have given away a free as Green kept his head down and ran into him, but that's another argument for another thread.

sheez thanks for the heads up guys :eek:

Yes i knew this, but by replay i ment other angle, unless you can tell me how to get other angles on my IQ i suggest you tell ur fellow supporters to calm their s**t

Why don't you write what you mean then.

Some people are blatant morons, the whole point of the video review system is too look at every angle to analyze any dubious score, fact of the matter is Brisbane won, and reviews have been given for much less. None the less I hope a media outlet gets hold of all the footage available to put this to rest.

Congrats to Brisbane.

Some people are blatant morons, the whole point of the video review system is too look at every angle to analyze any dubious score, fact of the matter is Brisbane won, and reviews have been given for much less. None the less I hope a media outlet gets hold of all the footage available to put this to rest.

Congrats to Brisbane.

I think it should have been reviewed, but think it was inconclusive, in which case, it was back to the umpires call, and same result.. I don't think they have the right mix of technology there yet, too hard to tell with small touches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I dont understand is theres been heaps of easy calls that have been reviewed where the goal umpire says it was a goal/touched but the downfield umpire wants to draw a square and look at the review for such a close call like Darlings goal why wasnt it reviewed?

It had to be reviewed it just HAD TO how could the goal umpire be so certain he didnt even hesitate?

Even with out the video review at the stage the game was at and the way that "non goal" was the goal umpire would get a second opinion this happened often before this year.

The way the umpires body language was when it went through for a "point" it was as if it was punched through that's how certain he looked.

Its almost like match fixing to be honest.

Why was the qtr 38mins?

Why wasnt this looked at Its your call?

Replay : http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3994/motiona.gif

If it's my call, then as far as that gif is concerned, it looks like the arc of the bounce changes and the spin of the ball changes. Touched. Goal Umpire is in a great position to see and make that call, and let's be honest, that's what he's there for. Why review if everyone who's job it is to watch the ball is certain of what they saw?

With this Video Umpire review system I think it needs to be tweeked on how we go about it.

I think we should have a challenge system like the tennis & cricket. Where each teams have 2 challenges each per game.

If the Video replay in inconclusive then the decision will be the umpires call.

EASY....

So then you cant blame the umpires for not calling for video review, make it your teams decision.

With this Video Umpire review system I think it needs to be tweeked on how we go about it.

I think we should have a challenge system like the tennis & cricket. Where each teams have 2 challenges each per game.

If the Video replay in inconclusive then the decision will be the umpires call.

EASY....

So then you cant blame the umpires for not calling for video review, make it your teams decision.
i was just thinking this as i read the thread.

Captains call.

i vote one for challenge. If u get it wrong, like tennis, you lose that challenge, get it right, you keep it.

What I dont understand is theres been heaps of easy calls that have been reviewed where the goal umpire says it was a goal/touched but the downfield umpire wants to draw a square and look at the review for such a close call like Darlings goal why wasnt it reviewed?

It had to be reviewed it just HAD TO how could the goal umpire be so certain he didnt even hesitate?

Even with out the video review at the stage the game was at and the way that "non goal" was the goal umpire would get a second opinion this happened often before this year.

The way the umpires body language was when it went through for a "point" it was as if it was punched through that's how certain he looked.

Why was the qtr 38mins?

Why wasnt this looked at Its your call?

Replay : http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3994/motiona.gif

its almost like match fixing to be honest. Must must be be joking.

Why was the qtr 38mins?

Do you know how football works? There were 17 scoring shots in the last quarter, 13 of them goals, plus a * load of stoppages. That's gunna eat up a lot of time. Funny that you had the rub of the green all day and you still try and call this one out.

Everyone suddenly thinks that every close call must be referred to the umpire upstairs.

What a joke...

Idiots like BT and Dwayne Russell are the leaders of this hysteria

The goal umpire only needs to call for a review if he is uncertain (e.g. if a kick was thought to have shaved the inside of the opposite goal post, or if a scrambled kick off the ground was touched off the boot)

Why should a goal umpire refer line-ball decisions to the video ump when he is standing in the best position?

The good goal umpires are prepared to back themselves in and trust their own eyesight.

If they're unable to make those basic calls, then piss them off and get someone else to stand in goal

I was discussing the idea of challenges with a mate of mine, however instead of being limited to captains calling the shots (which takes way too long), any player can launch a review. Limit it to two correct decisions a game and if you * them up you have no more. Means that a back pocket that saw a footy hit the post can quickly call for a review on behalf of the team.

Honesty wouldn't be an issue because if you lose the challenge you'll be left without...

I think the decision review system is getting an unnecessarily bad wrap at the moment. I was front and centre behind the goals at the game yesterday, and both the mark on the goal-line and the touched off the boot incidents happened right in front of me. Both were called correctly by the goal umpire, despite being ridiculously hard calls - and both were confirmed to be the correct decision after a review from the officiating umpire. Confirmed being the important word there - as opposed to 'inconclusive, umpires call' (which even if it had have been the case, wouldn't have affected the match in any way, shape or form, seeing as the umpire made the correct decision to begin with).

Something I'm hearing a lot of recently - notably yesterday at the game - is "How are they even supposed to review the decision when all they've got is those four tiny little screens?!" - shrieked the 70-something year old woman sitting behind me, as she squinted through her spectacles at the scoreboard almost 200 metres away.

It's almost as if people think that the person in charge of the decision review system is just somebody sitting on the wing squinting at the big screen with a walkie talkie in his hand - or perched on the couch in front of his TV at home trying to make a judgement going off the handful of pixels that Channel Seven's TV rights deal could afford them to send their way. The reality is, the person making the decision isn't looking up at the scoreboard, or watching some crappy TV coverage of the incident. They're looking at the raw, 4096 x 2160 footage, straight from the camera. I'm not sure if they're currently doing it (probably due to time constraints), but that size footage gives them the ability to blow up the football to the size of your television so that they can make the call on whether or not it did this, that or the other.

This system is in place to remove the howler. The Tom Hawkins goal in the Grand Final that hit more of the post than Brisbane will the #1 draft pick. It's doing that just fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back