Goal Line Decision Review System

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the decision review system is getting an unnecessarily bad wrap at the moment. I was front and centre behind the goals at the game yesterday, and both the mark on the goal-line and the touched off the boot incidents happened right in front of me. Both were called correctly by the goal umpire, despite being ridiculously hard calls - and both were confirmed to be the correct decision after a review from the officiating umpire. Confirmed being the important word there - as opposed to 'inconclusive, umpires call' (which even if it had have been the case, wouldn't have affected the match in any way, shape or form, seeing as the umpire made the correct decision to begin with).

Something I'm hearing a lot of recently - notably yesterday at the game - is "How are they even supposed to review the decision when all they've got is those four tiny little screens?!" - shrieked the 70-something year old woman sitting behind me, as she squinted through her spectacles at the scoreboard almost 200 metres away.

It's almost as if people think that the person in charge of the decision review system is just somebody sitting on the wing squinting at the big screen with a walkie talkie in his hand - or perched on the couch in front of his TV at home trying to make a judgement going off the handful of pixels that Channel Seven's TV rights deal could afford them to send their way. The reality is, the person making the decision isn't looking up at the scoreboard, or watching some crappy TV coverage of the incident. They're looking at the raw, 4096 x 2160 footage, straight from the camera. I'm not sure if they're currently doing it (probably due to time constraints), but that size footage gives them the ability to blow up the football to the size of your television so that they can make the call on whether or not it did this, that or the other.

This system is in place to remove the howler. The Tom Hawkins goal in the Grand Final that hit more of the post than Brisbane will the #1 draft pick. It's doing that just fine.
So the umpires made some decisions and 1 minute later they were confirmed, whereas a few years ago they would just have just carried on with the same decision and no delay. They rarely conclusively overrule and when they had the chance to do it in the Demons Suns game they failed miserably.

And then poorly tonight with the farce in New Zealand where Brown definitely appeared to touch the ball at the end – had the goal not been paid, the Saints would probably have won
I think what helped with the Cloke one was the camera. The best image came from the super slow mo camera(you know the one the normally use recording seagulls and people eating pies). The original 4 camera angles that were slowed down were useless fuzz-o-vision.

7 and Fox should be getting more of those cameras in. Otherwise there's no real point in having a system spit out inconclusive results.

Last edited:
FFS spend the money on the go pro style cameras that each umpire can have.....also have goal post cameras too

Just get it right .....we can put people on mars for crying out loud.

It is t that hard to get cameras in the right spots.

Hell ask go pro be a sponsor or something...do a deal

Bump.

Can anyone tell me if the video ump is listening to the commentary whilst watching the game or is he sitting there with mute sound?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back