Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Here's a project to get us going for the new year! :D

Since I don't keep up with fantasy football any more, I can't really do as many write-ups as I used to. So I had this cool idea that my fellow Suns posters, most of which DO play some sort of fantasy footy game, to do.

Write ups!

Below I'll post a list of all of our players. It will then be up to our posters to claim a player and do a fantasy write up for them. How their pre-season is going, any positional changes, score possibilities. Make sure to include a SUN RATING on them too! So others will know where they lie.

Now watch me go all science-y on you. So a SUN RATING can be either:

Nebula: The birthplaces of stars. Someone who may have a good game but is still a few years away. IE: Jack Martin, Kade Kolodjashnij.

Star: Reliable to punch out consistent scores and in their prime. IE: Jaeger O'Meara, Dion Prestia, David Swallow, Harley Bennell, Trent McKenzie.

Red Giant: During later stages of life, but you can't ignore what it's done in the past. IE: Gary Ablett, Michael Rischitelli.

Red Dwarf: Faint and smaller than a regular star. They consistently score at a regular rate, just not as high as a star. IE: Andrew Boston, Danny Stanley.

White Dwarf: Approaching the last stages of life. They can still burn like a star, but don't count on them to consistently punch out the scores they used to. IE: Greg Broughton.

Supernova: The death of a star. In the final years, but going out with a bang so could punch out a high score every now and then. IE: Nathan Bock.

Black Hole: A swirling vortex of doom. Do not pick a player if they have the Black Hole rating! Not fantasy relevant.

First in best dressed. Once a player is selected by someone, they need to get a profile up pretty quick, within 5 days, or that player becomes available for someone else to do write up on. They're not hard to do. Most would only take 5 - 10 minutes.

I will then update the OP with the profile. All further discussions can be done in this thread.

Profiles:

1. Jaeger O'Meara.
2. Zac Smith.

3. Timmy Sumner - by Sunny_
Games: 11
Fantasy Profile: Many Suns fans had little clue who Timmy Sumner was at this point in 2013. He was a very late selection, being the Suns last live pick in the 2012 National Draft. So it was to the surprise of many to see him not only getting a debut, but playing well. He plays angry, loving to put physical pressure on and niggle his opponents. Sumner plays predominately as a forward and is one of the best contested marks in the side. While he did suffer from some stage fright and nerves in front of goal (kicking 6.12), what really stood out was just his ability to generate scoring opportunities. He can drift in and out of games and is still looking for that consistency, but when he's on, he can really become fantasy relevant. With more fitness and games under his belt, look for this guy to become a regular threat in the 22.
SUN RATING: Nebula. Still building, but no-one is quite sure what he will turn into. If he keeps working as hard as he is (said to be a surprise stand-out in his commitment to the track), he could really come on as a cheap forward option.

4. Jack Martin.
5. Jarrod Harbrow.
6. Alex Sexton.
7. Karmichael Hunt.

8. Luke Russell - by Sunny_
Games: 43
Fantasy Profile: Luke 'Spooks' Russell is arguably one of the best kept secrets in the Suns team. He hasn't got the same fanfare as a Bennell or McKenzie, but he's arguably just as important. Spending large portions of his career as a forward in his first couple of years at the Suns, Russell began to show quite a bit when given a rotation into the midfield. His ability to collect the hard-ball, break tackles, draw opponents and run hard reminds quite a few of his Skipper; Gary Ablett. The only problem is that the midfield is crammed with the likes of O'Meara, Ablett, Swallow, Bennell and more, meaning he spends considerable time on the flanks or up forward. With the rotation cap being introduced however, Luke could be working his way into a more permanent fixture in the midfield group.
SUN RATING: Red Dwarf. If he's given a good consistent run at it and spends time in the midfield, I really think Russell has what it takes to become elite. Also watch out for him as he passes 50 games this year, which is where he could really start developing. Has the potential to become a Star by years end. One to keep an eye on.

9. Gary Ablett.
10. Dion Prestia.
11. Harley Bennell.
12. Sam Day.
13. Andrew Boston.
14. Matthew Warnock.
15. Daniel Gorringe.

16. Rory Thompson - by SUNS
Games: 34
Fantasy Profile: Took his game to a new level in 2013 in defence but now the 200cm ex forward must do it consistently to become one of the leagues elite KPD's. Has a booming accurate kick, good strength in a contest and an uncanny ability to read the ball in the air which saw him really challenge some of the competitions best forwards in 2013, including Nick Riewoldt, Buddy Franklin, Jack Riewoldt and a few others. This year needs to work on his leadership skills as I think he should be targeted as becoming our general of the back line. If he gets it all right will make the 2014 AA squad.
SUN RATING: N/A.

17. Steven May.

18. Trent McKenzie - by Sunny_
Games: 57
Fantasy Profile: After a somewhat 'down' 2012 where Trent struggled with additional attention, 2013 was a great return to form. With no pre-season under his belt, McKenzie eventually made his way into the seniors after gaining some match fitness in the NEAFL. Once there, he became a weapon in the defensive 50, with his huge kick providing valuable options going forward. Towards the back end of the year when his fitness began to grow, we saw Trent push up the ground and provide some run. This coupled with his ever improving defensive one-on-one contested work is making him one of our most important players in the 22. For 2014 he was on target to complete his first full pre-season, though a rolled ankle in early January put him out of main training for four weeks. With a huge chunk of the bulk fitness work done though, expect him to play very early on, if not in round 1.
SUN RATING: Star. Trent is a star and will continue to improve the more games he plays. It's difficult to see the opposition let him run loose and zone off as much as 2013, but with an ever improving and experienced back 6 giving him help to do so, I really expect this guy to form a devastating partnership with Kade Kolodjashni as rebounding defenders. Suns players want to get it into this guys hands going forward, meaning lots of possessions.

19. Tom Lynch. - by SUNS
Games: 38
Fantasy Profile: Played his junior days as a valuable midfielder before a massive growth spurt in his mid to late teens saw him fill out into the perfect size for a KPF. Has spent the last few years on and off the grass with some unlucky injuries, but his professionalism has seen him working hard around in the gym to put on some serious upper body strength and weight. Now stands at about 199cm and just shy of 100KG's. Possesses a strong set of hands, particularly overhead, a fearless mindset which sees him unafraid of throwing his body into a pack and great skills below the knees for a guy his size. If he stays fit and healthy this year we could expect him to come out and be the KPF we have desperately needed. 45+ goals in 2014 a strong possibility.

20. Henry Schade.
21. Jeremy Taylor.

22. Tom Nicholls - by Sunny_
Games: 9
Fantasy Profile: 'He's like NicNat, but with a good workrate.' is a quote I saw in a game day thread describing Tommy Nicholls, and one I thought was particularly appropriate. The question I often get asked is, 'Where has this guy been?' The general response is that he's always been there, and was one of our 17 year old zone selections. Thing is he had to spend a considerable time developing and maturing into the body that he has, sustaining some injuries along the way. Even at the moment he's quite lean in build, and could go a couple of more pre-season in the gym to really become a monster. The great thing with Nicholls is just his ability to work in close and apply physical pressure, despite his lean build. He averages 5 tackles a game, which really makes him an attractive fantasy option.
SUN RATING: Nebula. We all saw what Nicholls was capable of in 2013. The challenge for him will be backing it up now that the opposition knows what he is all about. Taking away his run, using body and more. He's still young in terms of games played, but eventually should become a full-blown star ruckman. He did have post-season surgery on his knee, and has only recently (early-mid January) begun training with the main group. With Zac Smith out of action until mid-season at least though, he could get a look in should he build the fitness required.

23. Charlie Dixon - by Sunny_
Games: 35
Fantasy Profile: After spending some time in defence in 2012, Charlie was shifted into what will no doubt be his likely position from now on. He had spent some stints in the ruck before, but after spending his 2013 pre-season learning some technical ruck skills, we saw him blossom as a pinch hitting ruckman while spending large stints forward. The beauty with Charlie as a ruck is that he goes again and again, with second and third efforts allowing him to collect possessions. It also allows him to get his confidence up. As a forward he is equally valuable, able to take strong contested marks and kick goals. I expect him to continue playing this position in 2014. His pre-season thus far has been a bit limited, as he had post-season ankle surgery to fix the injury problems that made him miss games throughout the year. He went to Arizona and did many of the drills to help build his fitness, but obviously did not do a fair chunk of the running work. As far as I'm aware, he re-joined the main group when the club returned from their Christmas break.
SUN RATING: Red Dwarf. History goes against Charlie here. His limited pre-season is slight cause of concern, though recent photos of him show him in really good condition. Injury has also been a bit cruel to him in the past, as he plays a bash and crash sort of game that has seen him miss games, sometimes weeks at a time. That said, if Tom Lynch plays in the same team, it is possible that Charlie could be matched on a second string defender, which could lead him to bust out a big 100+ score. Just don't expect it regularly.

24. David Swallow - by SUNS
Games: 51
Fantasy Profile: The 2010 #1 draft pick has been underwhelming in his first three seasons to those on the outside, but those who regularly watch the SUNS in action would know better. He can play anywhere on a footy field and has shown glimpses of brilliance in all positions played. Has struggled to stay on the field consistently with little niggling injuries. He weened his way back into the SUNS midfield through a spot on the HBF which left SUNS fans in hot debate over whether or not he should stay as a moving defender or be pushed up into the midfield, where his in and under fearless approach mixed with his fantastic ambidextrous skills both by hand and foot will be a valuable asset to a SUNS midfield already overflowing with potential elite talent. Can also sneak forward and he usually jags a handy goal or two when he does so. Hard to put a finger on exactly what David Swallow can be. He is a current member of our young leadership group and has a heart the size of phar laps. But his body, and making sure he keeps it fit could be the difference between being a future SUNS premiership captain or the next gen Jack Watts.

25. Danny Stanley.
26. Matt Shaw.
27. Clay Cameron.
28. Kade Kolodjashnij.
29. Tom Murphy.
31. Jackson Allen.
32. Brandon Matera.
33. Aaron Hall.
34. Jack Hutchins.
35. Michael Rischitelli.
36. Greg Broughton.

37. Jesse Lonergan - by Sunny_
Games: 4
Fantasy Profile: Hard contested ball winner that will rotate in the centre circle alongside fellow extractors like Gary Ablett, David Swallow or Dion Prestia. Had glimpses of what he could do in 2013 with really quick hands and surprising speed. Important for fantasy is that he is a tackling machine, averaging 4.5 tackles per game. Only problem with Lonergan is that he has a bit of a history with injury, a hamstring strain keeping him on the sidelines from round 9 onwards. The Coaches will be very careful with Jesse, and certainly will not rush him back into senior action. Expect him to get at least 3-4 NEAFL games first before running around at AFL level. Apparently having a very good pre-season, and was one of those to benefit greatly from the altitude training. Expect him to shed some of the puppy fat and come back leaner in 2014.
SUN RATING: Nebula. I think Jesse will one day be a fantasy machine. He shows all the signs of, IMO, Dane Swan. Hard extractor, can get it on the outside and can also go forward. He's just not there yet. This will be a building year for Jesse, and while he may play some games eventually, I wouldn't rely on him to consistently punch out good scores.

38. Jack Leslie.
39. Louis Herbert.
40. Sean Lemmens.
41. Leigh Osborne.
43. Jarred Ellis.

44. Nathan Bock - by Sunny_
Games: 140
Fantasy Profile: After breaking his leg early in the 2012 season, the Suns have tried the best they can to cover someone who was arguably in AA form for 2011. Some don't seem to recall that he took the opposition best forwards in that year, and often kept them very quiet. He was our General, ordering the troops and collecting plenty of possessions. The thing to keep in mind here is that during our 2011 season, the ball was in our defensive 50 a lot more than what it is now. Meaning even if he plays the same position for 2014, he likely won't score that much. He's currently on track to return very early in the year, if not round 1. Very close to the main training sessions. When he returns, the Coach has said he will start down back, though given his ability up forward, certainly don't be surprised to see him swung around based on any particular needs. If he plays down back, don't be surprised to see him utilized to provide some offensive play, with Rory Thompson having the main 'shut-down' position sewed up.
SUN RATING: Supernova. I think the days of Bocky scoring like he did in 2011 are gone. Not only has this got to do with his age, but also his position swapping will hurt his fantasy output. That said, at such a cheap price, he should be a must pick if he's close to playing in round 1. He still has the ability to punch out a high score, but at the very least should provide some fantasy growth, enabling you to get a more consistent scorer later on down the track.

46. Josh Hall.
48. Seb Tape.

And here is an example!

Jesse Lonergan

Games: 4
Fantasy Profile: Hard contested ball winner that will rotate in the centre circle alongside fellow extractors like Gary Ablett, David Swallow or Dion Prestia. Had glimpses of what he could do in 2013 with really quick hands and surprising speed. Important for fantasy is that he is a tackling machine, averaging 4.5 tackles per game. Only problem with Lonergan is that he has a bit of a history with injury, a hamstring strain keeping him on the sidelines from round 9 onwards. The Coaches will be very careful with Jesse, and certainly will not rush him back into senior action. Expect him to get at least 3-4 NEAFL games first before running around at AFL level. Apparently having a very good pre-season, and was one of those to benefit greatly from the altitude training. Expect him to shed some of the puppy fat and come back leaner in 2014.
SUN RATING: Nebula. I think Jesse will one day be a fantasy machine. He shows all the signs of, IMO, Dane Swan. Hard extractor, can get it on the outside and can also go forward. He's just not there yet. This will be a building year for Jesse, and while he may play some games eventually, I wouldn't rely on him to consistently punch out good scores.

What are your thoughts on selecting Bock for supercoach? Is he over his injury? Will he play forward or back?
Cheers GC board.

I'll do a write up on him for you, 5GB!

Nathan Bock

Fantasy Profile: After breaking his leg early in the 2012 season, the Suns have tried the best they can to cover someone who was arguably in AA form for 2011. Some don't seem to recall that he took the opposition best forwards in that year, and often kept them very quiet. He was our General, ordering the troops and collecting plenty of possessions. The thing to keep in mind here is that during our 2011 season, the ball was in our defensive 50 a lot more than what it is now. Meaning even if he plays the same position for 2014, he likely won't score that much. He's currently on track to return very early in the year, if not round 1. Very close to the main training sessions. When he returns, the Coach has said he will start down back, though given his ability up forward, certainly don't be surprised to see him swung around based on any particular needs. If he plays down back, don't be surprised to see him utilized to provide some offensive play, with Rory Thompson having the main 'shut-down' position sewed up.
SUN RATING: Supernova. I think the days of Bocky scoring like he did in 2011 are gone. Not only has this got to do with his age, but also his position swapping will hurt his fantasy output. That said, at such a cheap price, he should be a must pick if he's close to playing in round 1. He still has the ability to punch out a high score, but at the very least should provide some fantasy growth, enabling you to get a more consistent scorer later on down the track.

I'll do a write up on him for you, 5GB!

Nathan Bock

Top write up mate, very helpful. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Any mention of David Swallow going back into the middle and really emerging as a gun? Pretty tasty as an underpriced defender

I would say yes. It's a big Victorian myth, he's only played about 7 or 8 games as a defender while he was getting his body right from injury, and developing his defensive game. He is a midfielder, no question.

Looking at Ablett Martin Bock and Dixon. Dixon could be anything but what's his likely role and how is his fitness?

Charlie Dixon

Fantasy Profile: After spending some time in defence in 2012, Charlie was shifted into what will no doubt be his likely position from now on. He had spent some stints in the ruck before, but after spending his 2013 pre-season learning some technical ruck skills, we saw him blossom as a pinch hitting ruckman while spending large stints forward. The beauty with Charlie as a ruck is that he goes again and again, with second and third efforts allowing him collect possessions. It also allows him to get his confidence up. As a forward he is equally valuable, able to take strong contested marks and kick goals. I expect him to continue playing this position in 2014. His pre-season thus far has been a bit limited, as he had post-season ankle surgery to fix the injury problems that made him miss games throughout the year. He went to Arizona and did many of the drills to help build his fitness, but obviously did not do a fair chunk of the running work. As far as I'm aware, he re-joined the main group when the club returned from their Christmas break.
SUN RATING: Red Dwarf. History goes against Charlie here. His limited pre-season is slight cause of concern, though recent photos of him show him in really good condition. Injury has also been a bit cruel to him in the past, as he plays a bash and crash sort of game that has seen him miss games, sometimes weeks at a time. That said, if Tom Lynch plays in the same team, it is possible that Charlie could be matched on a second string defender, which could lead him to bust out a big 100+ score. Just don't expect it regularly.

Charlie Dixon

Fantasy Profile: After spending some time in defence in 2012, Charlie was shifted into what will no doubt be his likely position from now on. He had spent some stints in the ruck before, but after spending his 2013 pre-season learning some technical ruck skills, we saw him blossom as a pinch hitting ruckman while spending large stints forward. The beauty with Charlie as a ruck is that he goes again and again, with second and third efforts allowing him collect possessions. It also allows him to get his confidence up. As a forward he is equally valuable, able to take strong contested marks and kick goals. I expect him to continue playing this position in 2014. His pre-season thus far has been a bit limited, as he had post-season ankle surgery to fix the injury problems that made him miss games throughout the year. He went to Arizona and did many of the drills to help build his fitness, but obviously did not do a fair chunk of the running work. As far as I'm aware, he re-joined the main group when the club returned from their Christmas break.

Thanks Sunny. No doubt he will score well at times with. Consistency the issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doing well Sunny_

A lot of relevant fantasy players at the Suns in 2014,

How has Trent McKenzie's preseason been?

Keep up the good work! :thumbsu:
Trent McKenzie.

Fantasy Profile: After a somewhat 'down' 2012 where Trent struggled with additional attention, 2013 was a great return to form. With no pre-season under his belt, McKenzie eventually made his way into the seniors after gaining some match fitness in the NEAFL. Once there, he became a weapon in the defensive 50, with his huge kick providing valuable options going forward. Towards the back end of the year when his fitness began to grow, we saw Trent push up the ground and provide some run. This coupled with his ever improving defensive one-on-one contested work is making him one of our most important players in the 22. For 2014 he was on target to complete his first full pre-season, though a rolled ankle in early January put him out of main training for four weeks. With a huge chunk of the bulk fitness work done though, expect him to play very early on, if not in round 1.
SUN RATING: Star. Trent is a star and will continue to improve the more games he plays. It's difficult to see the opposition let him run loose and zone off as much as 2013, but with an ever improving and experienced back 6 giving him help to do so, I really expect this guy to form a devastating partnership with Kade Kolodjashni as rebounding defenders. Suns players want to get it into this guys hands going forward, meaning lots of possessions.

Trent McKenzie.

I dunno if he was throwing left handed darts, but he said the other day that he would be playing more forward this year. Found it interesting

I dunno if he was throwing left handed darts, but he said the other day that he would be playing more forward this year. Found it interesting

Dunno about that.

Though I remember seeing him take that huge hangar in our debut season against the Dees.

Interested in your guys thoughts on KK's chances of being a regular member in the side from round 1.

Hard to say. We have an intraclub next week and he will also be a certain starter I would think in the NAB challenge. Will have a better idea after that.

Could depend on T'macs fitness.

8. Luke Russell - by Sunny_
Games: 43
Fantasy Profile: Luke 'Spooks' Russell is arguably one of the best kept secrets in the Suns team. He hasn't got the same fanfare as a Bennell or McKenzie, but he's arguably just as important. Spending large portions of his career as a forward in his first couple of years at the Suns, Russell began to show quite a bit when given a rotation into the midfield. His ability to collect the hard-ball, break tackles, draw opponents and run hard reminds quite a few of his Skipper; Gary Ablett. The only problem is that the midfield is crammed with the likes of O'Meara, Ablett, Swallow, Bennell and more, meaning he spends considerable time on the flanks or up forward. With the rotation cap being introduced however, Luke could be working his way into a more permanent fixture in the midfield group.
SUN RATING: Red Dwarf. If he's given a good consistent run at it and spends time in the midfield, I really think Russell has what it takes to become elite. Also watch out for him as he passes 50 games this year, which is where he could really start developing. Has the potential to become a Star by years end. One to keep an eye on.

Any concerns on Russell getting run with roles? I know he got a couple in 2013 (like the job he did on Hartlett) and that it effected his output. Any chance he could end up with more tagging roles and lower scores?

Any concerns on Russell getting run with roles? I know he got a couple in 2013 (like the job he did on Hartlett) and that it effected his output. Any chance he could end up with more tagging roles and lower scores?

Only if he's injured.

Since writing that I've learnt that Russell has actually had a lighter pre-season after some fairly serious hip surgeries after the 2013 season. I wouldn't select him this year. Could take him a while to get going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back