Gold Coast Suns Supporter Groups

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thought it would be a good idea to get people talking about this and have more unified support for the club across the states. As far as I am aware there currently aren't any official supporter groups for the Suns outside of the Gold Coast. I'd imagine the Victorian supporter group would be the largest of the interstate supporter groups and darkwingduck has already spoken about interest in making it happen. I believe the Suns are required to visit Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide every year with the occasional games in Sydney, Canberra, Geelong, Tasmania and Darwin occurring some years. At this point it is unknown whether the Suns will continue to play games in Cairns in the future but if they do it would make sense to have a North Queensland Supporter Group as well. By grouping some users together it would become easier to schedule events for game day and (hopefully) eventually start the official supporter group. I'm confident there are Suns fans all around the country so here we go...

Victorian supporter group
darkwingduck
Scotty_222

South Australian supporter group

Western Australian supporter group
TheJaegerBomb

New South Wales/ACT supporter group

Tasmanian supporter group

Northern Territory supporter group

North Queensland supporter group

Discuss the idea here and maybe something could happen for the game in Perth this weekend. Making Suns supporter group jackets would be a good start.

It's a pretty faceless supporters group if there is one in Vic Suns. Have neither heard or seen it. I believe ya that there is, but it could be a lot better IMHO. Not saying I'd make it better either. Just judging really lol.

It's a pretty faceless supporters group if there is one in Vic Suns. Have neither heard or seen it. I believe ya that there is, but it could be a lot better IMHO. Not saying I'd make it better either. Just judging really lol.

Next year I think they are gonna be doing the banners for Melbourne in Vic. Don't hold me to it though, a lot can change between now and then.

I'll put you in touch if you want :)

Lol that story is too good to be true mate hahaha.
Not sure ill make much of an admin though, but will have a crack.
Need someone who's keen as to promote the s**t out of it.

So I done a bit of a ring-a-round as to what happened with 'Vic SUNS'

Apparently the head of the group went back to his old team and deleted the page.

Have created this new one and made darkwingduck an admin.

https://www.facebook.com/GCSUNSVICTORIA

Feel free to jump on everyone

https://www.facebook.com/GCSUNSWA is for anyone keen on joining the already strong army of SUNS fans in WA.

Wow. You weren't kidding about the strength of the supporters in WA. I would have thought for sure that Victoria would produce more SUNS fans than WA. Am I correct in assuming that there will be plenty of support for the SUNS this weekend at Subi? It's good to see that you have made something happen again in Vic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old Vic group had about 150 members. So even that was nothing on the WA group.

A lot of the WA fan base comes from the fact a fair chunk of our playing list are West Australian. They really get behind their local players over there

Yep very true. Not my reasoning for hopping on board but a few people I know did for that reason. Kayleen Bennell also might have a vested interest in one of the players :p

Hi All, Just been filling in some time reading old posts........great to see some discussion about the WA group, Gold Coast Suns Supporters WA ( The Prodigal Suns ). I am the person who set it up and continue to run it. As you can see we are gradually getting stronger each year.....good chance we will get bigger as the team performs better.
If you ever need any info on the WA group or need to get in touch, let me know.....until then, C'mon the Suns !!!

I hope all the Vic Suns sit behind the visitors posts. show some numbers and out yell the pensioners who are the Dees cheers squad.

I'll be in Perth from June 1 to July 5 except for a week I'll be in Melbourne. Would love to meet up of that's doable for any of you in those areas.

Can't believe the start of the season is here. Go SUNS!

I'll be in Perth from June 1 to July 5 except for a week I'll be in Melbourne. Would love to meet up of that's doable for any of you in those areas.

Can't believe the start of the season is here. Go SUNS!
No probs, drop us a line on the Gold Coast Suns Supporters WA facebook page when you are in town :)

Greetings, I come in peace. I haven’t had much of a need to set up a BigFooty account until now as I usually get all my AFL discussion from Reddit, but this offseason is killing me and I need AFL discussion injected into my veins. I’ve been lurking for a while, (I enjoyed the Dangerfield thread) but I decided to set up one now. Some background information:

I am a WA-based Gold Coast supporter. Lived there all my life. I was introduced to the AFL at some point in 2005. I was given the choice between Fremantle and West Coast. I was given no other options and didn’t know other teams even existed. It wasn’t until 2006 that I had even seen all the teams play and knew who they all were. I chose West Coast, as Fremantle’s old strip was really quite gross. A few weeks after getting into AFL, I watched Port Adelaide play and instantly changed teams on the spot. That lightning bolt guernsey was a snare for little kids who thought electricity was cool.

I experienced the lows of the 2007 Grand Final, which I spent most of playing Pokemon. By the 2008 season, I had decided Pokemon was more fun than football. (Still true to this day) I didn’t want to spend three hours of my weekend watching football when I was only allowed to play my Game Boy on weekends. But the biggest killer was Port Adelaide changing their guernsey to the one they have now. At the time, I saw it as a betrayal. I realised my love for Port Adelaide was purely based on aesthetics. I had no actual love for the club. Port Adelaide’s poor on-field performance didn’t help, but I don’t think that was the deciding factor.

So I gave up on football for six and a half years. The only football match I watched in that time was the 2009 Grand Final. I din’t even really know about the expansion teams. I gave away my Power scarf, since I didn’t think I’d ever be into football again. It didn’t help that I completely stopped watching TV.

But night in 2014, I was for some reason channel-flipping and came upon a football match. It was the fourth quarter of GWS vs Geelong, round 18. GWS almost pulled off a fantastic comeback against a top 4 team. It reminded me why I loved footy. I considered getting back into it. I tried to support Port Adelaide again, but the love was just not there. Giving away that scarf all those years ago was me giving away all the love I once had for the team. It also didn’t sit right with me that Port Adelaide were suddenly good again. It didn’t seem morally right for me to abandon the team when they were bleeding out in 2008, only to come back when they were top of the ladder.

So I went looking for another team. Neither West Coast or Fremantle appealed to me. I've always preferred to support interstate teams as I like the idea of the team coming to Subi being a once-a-year event. I watched all round 19 games on FTA tv the following weekend, but not all teams were shown. So I looked at the AFL’s Smart Replay collection. One of the teams I wanted to look at was Gold Coast. I knew nothing about them. I didn’t even really know what the team looked like. Since the results of the round 19 match vs St Kilda had been spoiled, I randomly picked round 14 – where Gold Coast beat Geelong by 40 points. I instantly fell in love. Charlie Dixon’s beard was majestic. I tried to figure out why the Suns’ guernsey looked the way it did. I found out that it was meant to look like a lifeguard. I was instantly SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD on the concept. Some teams have a mighty soaring eagle or snarling bulldog as the mascot. Gold Coast had a dude in budgie smugglers. That is so adorably stupid.

So it was settled then, Gold Coast were the greatest thing since sliced bread. The round 20 match against Carlton brought me down to Earth a bit.

I don’t know why I went into such detail about my Casablanca-esque affair with Port Adelaide. Maybe I’m just trying to distance myself from the disgusting crime of swapping teams. Provide myself some kind of moral high ground. But the important thing is that I’m a Gold Coast supporter now, and I hopefully will be one until I die.

Carn Old Blazy.

…I think I got a bit sidetracked. Uh… hi. Nice to meet you. I wouldn’t mind joining the WA-based supporter group, but I deleted my Facebook a year ago. Might have to create a new one.

Oh yeah, I am also a moderator of reddit’s /r/gcfc, which averages an amazing 0.7 comments a thread, (Most of them mine) so I have experience in cultivating and growing an audience /s

Greetings, I come in peace. I haven’t had much of a need to set up a BigFooty account until now as I usually get all my AFL discussion from Reddit, but this offseason is killing me and I need AFL discussion injected into my veins. I’ve been lurking for a while, (I enjoyed the Dangerfield thread) but I decided to set up one now. Some background information:

I am a WA-based Gold Coast supporter. Lived there all my life. I was introduced to the AFL at some point in 2005. I was given the choice between Fremantle and West Coast. I was given no other options and didn’t know other teams even existed. It wasn’t until 2006 that I had even seen all the teams play and knew who they all were. I chose West Coast, as Fremantle’s old strip was really quite gross. A few weeks after getting into AFL, I watched Port Adelaide play and instantly changed teams on the spot. That lightning bolt guernsey was a snare for little kids who thought electricity was cool.

I experienced the lows of the 2007 Grand Final, which I spent most of playing Pokemon. By the 2008 season, I had decided Pokemon was more fun than football. (Still true to this day) I didn’t want to spend three hours of my weekend watching football when I was only allowed to play my Game Boy on weekends. But the biggest killer was Port Adelaide changing their guernsey to the one they have now. At the time, I saw it as a betrayal. I realised my love for Port Adelaide was purely based on aesthetics. I had no actual love for the club. Port Adelaide’s poor on-field performance didn’t help, but I don’t think that was the deciding factor.

So I gave up on football for six and a half years. The only football match I watched in that time was the 2009 Grand Final. I din’t even really know about the expansion teams. I gave away my Power scarf, since I didn’t think I’d ever be into football again. It didn’t help that I completely stopped watching TV.

But night in 2014, I was for some reason channel-flipping and came upon a football match. It was the fourth quarter of GWS vs Geelong, round 18. GWS almost pulled off a fantastic comeback against a top 4 team. It reminded me why I loved footy. I considered getting back into it. I tried to support Port Adelaide again, but the love was just not there. Giving away that scarf all those years ago was me giving away all the love I once had for the team. It also didn’t sit right with me that Port Adelaide were suddenly good again. It didn’t seem morally right for me to abandon the team when they were bleeding out in 2008, only to come back when they were top of the ladder.

So I went looking for another team. Neither West Coast or Fremantle appealed to me. I've always preferred to support interstate teams as I like the idea of the team coming to Subi being a once-a-year event. I watched all round 19 games on FTA tv the following weekend, but not all teams were shown. So I looked at the AFL’s Smart Replay collection. One of the teams I wanted to look at was Gold Coast. I knew nothing about them. I didn’t even really know what the team looked like. Since the results of the round 19 match vs St Kilda had been spoiled, I randomly picked round 14 – where Gold Coast beat Geelong by 40 points. I instantly fell in love. Charlie Dixon’s beard was majestic. I tried to figure out why the Suns’ guernsey looked the way it did. I found out that it was meant to look like a lifeguard. I was instantly SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD on the concept. Some teams have a mighty soaring eagle or snarling bulldog as the mascot. Gold Coast had a dude in budgie smugglers. That is so adorably stupid.

So it was settled then, Gold Coast were the greatest thing since sliced bread. The round 20 match against Carlton brought me down to Earth a bit.

I don’t know why I went into such detail about my Casablanca-esque affair with Port Adelaide. Maybe I’m just trying to distance myself from the disgusting crime of swapping teams. Provide myself some kind of moral high ground. But the important thing is that I’m a Gold Coast supporter now, and I hopefully will be one until I die.

Carn Old Blazy.

…I think I got a bit sidetracked. Uh… hi. Nice to meet you. I wouldn’t mind joining the WA-based supporter group, but I deleted my Facebook a year ago. Might have to create a new one.

Oh yeah, I am also a moderator of reddit’s /r/gcfc, which averages an amazing 0.7 comments a thread, (Most of them mine) so I have experience in cultivating and growing an audience /s

I'm also a supporter in W.A good to see there's others here as well :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back