Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs NM (Preseason Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not that we stopped trying, in the last quarter we didn't play vb/lyons/Crouch Much and Kerridge rested forward. It was pretty much CEY v North Melbourne at clearances, our defence was awful all day tbh so when they actually got the ball in their they had their fun.

This is what I thought upon watching the replay this morning. Wasn't lack of trying, but lack of experience/talent out there at the end.

The thing that stood out to me is the lack of zoning. We applied man on man pressure requiring north to string together 3 or 4 clean possessions to get clear. As such, we forced many turnovers.

Previously, once the opposition got the ball, we guarded space and allowed the opposition space.

A clear change in strategy and one that I'm most relieved to see. My TV wouldn't survive another year of zoning.

Good
- one man in at the tackle with other players providing cover defence
- forward line pressure
- VB"s return
- form of Lyons, Crouch, Betts, Ramsey and O'Brien
- North didn't get a look at our best 22

Be interesting to see just how different the sides are, not just from the preseason game but also how different the sides are from Rd 22, 2014.

mate i think there will be up to 5 changes from last seasons final game

Truck and Radar obvious exclusions, M Crouch wont have enough footy by round 1, Jpod and Martin fighting for,their spots

Keg and Lyons played the final game of last season and should in my opinion hold their spots however Lynch, Ramsey, Cameron, Hartigan, Cheney and VB all pushing their claims for round 1

No one remembers the nab winners let alone one bad qtr in the first game. We have been football starved for too long together with new coach has meant there has been way too much over analysis of this game.
I think that's probably true to an extent.

However the last quarter fade out must give cause for concern, especially when assessed against 2014.

In our first NAB game last year we had control v Port before being over run at the end and that was against a very young Port side.

We went on to repeat that scenario a number of times in the season proper. There were numerous games in 2014 where we simply stopped and sides kicked 4-5 (sometimes 6-7) goals while we watched.

Given that the fade outs were a distinct characteristic of ours last year, I'm not sure why we would be writing off Sunday's last quarter as some kind of anomaly which would only ever happen in a trial game.

Of course there was much to like about how we played, but surely that last quarter sent a shiver down the spine of anyone who suffered through last year.

Of course there was much to like about how we played, but surely that last quarter sent a shiver down the spine of anyone who suffered through last year.
Not for me. If it happens in the next two games as well, then cause for concern.....but still willl hold fire until the real stuff starts.

I think that's probably true to an extent.

However the last quarter fade out must give cause for concern, especially when assessed against 2014.

In our first NAB game last year we had control v Port before being over run at the end and that was against a very young Port side.

We went on to repeat that scenario a number of times in the season proper. There were numerous games in 2014 where we simply stopped and sides kicked 4-5 (sometimes 6-7) goals while we watched.

Given that the fade outs were a distinct characteristic of ours last year, I'm not sure why we would be writing off Sunday's last quarter as some kind of anomaly which would only ever happen in a trial game.

Agreed but I think we should see how the next 2 NAB trial games go before being too concerned. Specifically lets see if we have a last quarter fade out with a midfield which resembles something we might field in Round 1 rather than our C grade set up.

Not for me. If it happens in the next two games as well, then cause for concern.....but still willl hold fire until the real stuff starts.

I agree.

We need to be aware of why a fade out happened.

If it was with our best 22 and all in their "normal" positions it would be a real concern.

Knowing that we changed the midfield and exposed alternative players and it was a complete change from the 1st 3 quarters gives as a reason. Was it acceptable, no, but those players now have something to work on. Our rookie ruck tired and we lost control of the centre clearances. Is it an excuse? No, it is a reason. Not only do players have to step up, the coaching box has to be on the ball. This seemed like a deliberate pre-season move. If this move happened in a 4-point game we would have cause for concern regarding the coaching box. - How would we prevent this from happening in a game for points? ...... Not leave the heavy lifting in the centre to those clearly not ready for that responsibility.

We also gave away a number of free kicks in that last qtr which resulted in shots on goal.
VB on the HBF, Talia on the wing, CEY in the centre. North played on quickly from all 3 and either resulted in a goal or shot on.

Another issue i noticed was we had a few players overestimate their kicking distance into the wind, thus a number of passes dropping short which North also capitalised. This seemed to go against the long penetrating kick out of defense we'd used well in the first 3 qtrs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree.

We need to be aware of why a fade out happened.

If it was with our best 22 and all in their "normal" positions it would be a real concern.

Knowing that we changed the midfield and exposed alternative players and it was a complete change from the 1st 3 quarters gives as a reason. Was it acceptable, no, but those players now have something to work on. Our rookie ruck tired and we lost control of the centre clearances. Is it an excuse? No, it is a reason. Not only do players have to step up, the coaching box has to be on the ball. This seemed like a deliberate pre-season move. If this move happened in a 4-point game we would have cause for concern regarding the coaching box. - How would we prevent this from happening in a game for points? ...... Not leave the heavy lifting in the centre to those clearly not ready for that responsibility.
I might not have been concerned had I not seen this in NAB round 1 last year too.

Same story - if I could be bothered I imagine we all would have been posting the same kind of stuff after that game - didn't have our best team in, doesn't matter anyway as it won't happen when the real stuff starts - only it did.

Anyway it's done now and hopefully we won't see it again this year.

I might not have been concerned had I not seen this in NAB round 1 last year too.

Same story - if I could be bothered I imagine we all would have been posting the same kind of stuff after that game - didn't have our best team in, doesn't matter anyway as it won't happen when the real stuff starts - only it did.

Anyway it's done now and hopefully we won't see it again this year.

I think Sando and Walsh have different enough coaching styles that we can say the final result was not of the same making. In addition, the response from the coaches to the respective final quarters will be different as well.

agree

no doubt that Walshy will use the last qtr as an opportunity to drive further improvement however as a supporter not overally concerned at this stage, first game, small ground, strong breeze with an inexperience final qtr midfield and backline

plenty of positives to come from the game

Get the feeling the game against Geelong will be the best one for gauging where we're really at. Can't see us showing too much of our hand against Port given we play them in round 5 (memo to AFL: no more Port-Crows pre-season games, and no more pre-season games between sides that meet in round 1)

agree

no doubt that Walshy will use the last qtr as an opportunity to drive further improvement however as a supporter not overally concerned at this stage, first game, small ground, strong breeze with an inexperience final qtr midfield and backline

plenty of positives to come from the game
It's a tough one re the fade out. Many differing opinions. I was initially not too concerned with the fade out as it pre season comp round one and there was differing levels of experience etc. Now that now of our mantras is elite standards I'm thinking that until old habits are broken there is always cause for concern in any game.

Oh, and which NAB Cup Game are we worried about from last year as a fade out.

Round 1 vs Port they kicked 5.1 we kicked 2.3 and won by lots.
View attachment 113367

Round 2 vs Carlton we were even at 3 quarter time then kicked away.
View attachment 113373

Round 3 was GWS - the less said the better because of our injury toll.

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/afl/2014nabcupfixturesresults/tabid/1077/Default.aspx
You need to give some context to those numbers. Port barely had a first choice 22 player on the ground in that last quarter and they out scored us easily.

Then would you also like to dig out the scoreboards from out first 3 rounds?

We lost one quarter and Hawthorn lost 3 or 4. Not too worried about the results of the first NAB match.

You need to give some context to those numbers. Port barely had a first choice 22 player on the ground in that last quarter and they out scored us easily.

If we kicked 4.1 to their 5.1 would we have said they out scored us easily? --- This final score is chalk and cheese compared to this year. This year we won by 10pts and vs Port we still won by over 9 goals. We cannot really draw any parallel.

All we can say is NAB Cup is match training and may or may not be a preview of what is to come in the season proper.

I'm not sure how useful drawing conclusions by comparing this year to last year actually is when the different coaches had different objectives.

Something to touch on also, is anyone else still a little worried about just how few shepherds our players laid?

There were a few times where we were trying to get the ball out of our defensive 50 and we just kept hand balling to the player next to us but did nothing afterwards to either create an option for the 1, 2, or at least shepherd the man chasing. This just allowed the North players like Thomas to force the error from us and get a resultant ball up or throw in our 50.

Once we release the runner, would really like to see more protection of the ball carrier. Not every single player on the field has to present as an option to the person with the ball...

And context for Sunday's 4th quarter is needed too!

We changed our structures, kicking into a stiff breeze and had a 19 yo rookie in the ruck!

If we had our best 22 out there, i'd be absolutely filthy. And that's why i think people have made too big a deal out of it than it actually was.... how many first 22 were actually on the ground in the 4th quarter?

Get the feeling the game against Geelong will be the best one for gauging where we're really at. Can't see us showing too much of our hand against Port given we play them in round 5 (memo to AFL: no more Port-Crows pre-season games, and no more pre-season games between sides that meet in round 1)

Its cheaper. Given the preseason cup is a joke, theyre happy to let teams play locally if possible.
Personally I think it cheapens the rivalry, just to save a few beeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back