Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs NM (Preseason Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Happily Walsh wasn't happy with the collapse of our structures in that final term fade out. He doesn't deal in excuses unlike longterm AFC supporters acclimatised to mediocrity. That fade out was classic crows. Nothing to do with the wind or magnetic fields. Good that he got to witness it first hand. He'll give it the attention it rightly deserves and not be blasé about it.

Happily Walsh wasn't happy with the collapse of our structures in that final term fade out. He doesn't deal in excuses unlike longterm AFC supporters acclimatised to mediocrity. That fade out was classic crows. Nothing to do with the wind or magnetic fields. Good that he got to witness it first hand. He'll give it the attention it rightly deserves and not be blasé about it.
Lol even Walsh said the wind was a factor. I haven't seen anybody happy with it just that there were some reasons for the drop off and the sky is falling type posts were a bit much.

Lol even Walsh said the wind was a factor. I haven't seen anybody happy with it just that there were some reasons for the drop off and the sky is falling type posts were a bit much.
See, I don't recall any sky is falling posts. Just some disappointment/concern and others labeling that as panic.

memo to AFL: no more Port-Crows pre-season games

will always happen because it reduces travel costs for the AFL. All clubs want minimal interstate matches in the pre-season so all non vic clubs play their state rival once, last year Freo and WC played each other twice.

Well you said the wind wasn't a factor and your clearly wrong about that so perhaps you need to read the thread again :)
we did ok into the wind in the second and it doesn't explain 11 scoring shots to 1

Something to touch on also, is anyone else still a little worried about just how few shepherds our players laid?

There were a few times where we were trying to get the ball out of our defensive 50 and we just kept hand balling to the player next to us but did nothing afterwards to either create an option for the 1, 2, or at least shepherd the man chasing. This just allowed the North players like Thomas to force the error from us and get a resultant ball up or throw in our 50.

Once we release the runner, would really like to see more protection of the ball carrier. Not every single player on the field has to present as an option to the person with the ball...
I saw improvement but there's still a way to go. Jaensch particularly needs a lesson on blocking.

North were missing defenders. They had Petrie, Brown, Waite and Thomas up front and nearly a first choice midfield. They locked the ball in with the breeze I thought Siggins, Hartigan, Obrien and CEY held up ok. Obviously would have been nice to score.

The rule has always been that if you hit an umpire it is as if they are 'invisible'. It's happened in the field of play before where a kick has hit an umpire and another player has then 'marked' the ball and it's been paid as a mark (quite rightly). Just because it happens to us once, it shows that Eddie and others should know the rules better as that is one that has stayed the same for a very, very long time.

Surely a bit of common sense can be used in a situation such as that though...

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-03-05/rule-change-mooted
The AFL may introduce a 'common sense' rule to avoid a repeat of Eddie Betts' disallowed goal in the NAB Challenge.

One can only hope! :thumbsu:

Man, how good is it to have footy back!

Trying to think of a better trade to the club than Eddie (Macca never really played for Freo). Scott Welsh was pretty handy, and Duck was a bigger name, but oh boy has Betts been a great recruit or what?

My other big take-home from the game (was only able to watch patches) was that Charlie Cameron is going to be a very exciting player.

This guy perhaps:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just re-watched the 2nd and 3rd terms of the NM game. Really noticed the tackling, how one would go in and tackle while the others guarded the space on the outside. This is what walshy has been speaking about, trusting your mate to lay the tackle. Also noticed how woeful Ellis-Yoleman's kicking was, dont think he hit a target in those two terms, can find the pill alright but burns it like no tomorrow.

So I was watching the last couple of minutes of the comeback win from 2013 against North Melbourne (as you do occasionally)

In light of Lynch's ducking tendancy, something really stood out (sorry if someone has pointed this one out before)

Go to 23 secs and check out how Lynch gets the ball to Porps - Better angle of it on the replay at 1.00 min

It seems an instinctual thing to try to avoid the player, rather than drawing a free, but he really does need to stop it

So I was watching the last couple of minutes of the comeback win from 2013 against North Melbourne (as you do occasionally)

In light of Lynch's ducking tendancy, something really stood out (sorry if someone has pointed this one out before)

Go to 23 secs and check out how Lynch gets the ball to Porps - Better angle of it on the replay at 1.00 min

It seems an instinctual thing to try to avoid the player, rather than drawing a free, but he really does need to stop it

Yeah I've always thought it was an instinctual evasion thing rather than any attempt to try avoid a free.

He pushes off he body and tries to duck the arms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back