Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs NM (Preseason Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
So a decent first hit out to blow off some cob webs. Played pretty well and we were in control for a majority of that match. I'm sure Walshy would be happy with that, but give him some ideas on waht he wants to work on as we head into round 1

Good:

• EDDDDDDDDIIIIIEEEEE.
  • Lyons clearance work was insane! Could be a good p/up in DT/AF.... is an awkward price though
  • Laird has great courage and it was on show again
  • The younger players stepped up. Ramsey looks great for a 2nd round RD pick, O'Brien was more than serviceable for a 19 yo ruck....Plenty to work with
  • VB, welcome back! Got himself a super goal too!
  • Loved our willingness to play on quick after a mark.... this was a key to our 2012 success and is a welcome change after last year
  • Some solid tackles laid. Still early, but looks improved
  • No serious injuries
  • Charlie.... gee whiskers he's gonna be something special. him and Eddie = nightmare for opponents

Bad:
  • Lynch's injury...... please stop ducking your head
  • CEY's kicking.... geez its average
  • Last quarter was a bit average. But its round 1 of NAB challenge....Our cue was in the rack with a pretty big lead... no need to risk injury by going too hard when it was effectively over

Ugly:

• The ump acting as goalie for Eddie's kick... what happens if that's a final and a team was to lose by less than a goal after an incident like that?

Great to have the boys back and can't wait for the Crows to be back on Fox. The stream was more than adequate, and of decent quality. Only had 1 drop out at my end

Hopefully the boys use the hit out to work on areas of opportunity and really gather some steam for round 1

Thoughts on what we need to work on for round 2?

Last quarter was pretty disappointing but considering we more or less had the game won, no point risking injury by going for a 70+ point win in the NAB. Kicking against the breeze and a lot of young, tired bodies out there in the last without more experienced leaders to help hold it together didn't help either.

Last quarter was pretty disappointing but considering we more or less had the game won, no point risking injury by going for a 70+ point win in the NAB. Kicking against the breeze and a lot of young, tired bodies out there in the last without more experienced leaders to help hold it together didn't help either.

I only saw the last half, so the last quarter weighs more heavily on me. What you say may be true, but it doesn't excuse the dithering in the backline in that quarter. I got a little weary of seeing Crows players with secure possession near full back looking one way, then the other, then back again, and then miskicking or kicking to the opposition. Even less excusable was the kicking across the ground in defence when against the wind! The decision making on disposal looked very bad and the execution wasn't much better.

On the bright side, our overall effort and tackling looked great, but North seemed much cleaner in their play with the ball.

Plenty to like from todays hitout. Big obrien looks promising. Ramsey looked sharp and a great pickup. Thought we hassled north pretty well for 3 quarters. Looked like talia, kerridge and tex were just in cruise control today. FOOTYS BACK!

I personally wouldnt persist with CEY. has the physical attributes but really havnt seen anything that has impressed me.

A little bit hard to clearly see what was happening. And you have to remember it was our first hit out.

Good:
  • Eddie Betts
  • At times (not all the time) we moved the ball forward with what looked to be a system
  • VB looked good and I was thinking that its like having an extra quality mid fielder to select from
  • Sloane, Crouch and Grigg did some good things especially tackling in the first 3 quarters
  • Lyons looked good
  • Liked the looks of Ramsey and despite being called a giraffe all day I think he Obrien showed some potential. Also Siggins and Kelly did a few nice things

Bad:
  • We either kicked onto or had the ball smothered too many times
  • Delivery skills were questionable both kicking and handballing.
  • Really sloppy bringing the ball out of defence we handed the ball over too much.
  • Every time CEY touched the ball he fluffed it up....OK maybe once he didn't but I was not happy with his game.
  • Hope that Lynch is OK.
  • I have no idea what happened in the last quarter. We lost our run and our momentum that we had in the third quarter.
  • Webb who came with an high praise about his kicking didn't look like he had elite kicking skills.
All I can say is that we won and that it was a NAB cup game and I guess we must remember it was our first hit out.

Eddie, pressure on the ball carrier, Lyons, Grigg, VB, Ramsey all good.

Last quarter fade out, CEY, Pods in defense all predictably bad.

No devastating injuries probably the highlight.

The bad...
aOyHL0Tm.jpg

Bad: the only part of the game I saw was the last qtr so can't comment on the first three but.......

We as a club can't be happy with the last qtr. I don't want to read but it was only the last blah blah blah. As our first game under our new coach we should not have allowed to be dominated like that. Last year our fitness was questioned and we showed nothing in that last qtr to alleviate those concerns.

Excusing our performances is what we used to do under Sando, preseason starts again next game. No more of that crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to wonder at training if they have ever had simulated forward match situations, surely some coach must have seen Lynch duck his head as "weapon" to evade a tackle/opponent. I cant believe he has not done this over summer ever.

A couple of things about this, firstly it needs to be eliminated from his game. There is a lot of protection for a players head during a game and opposition players have developed the art of avoiding a players head most of the times provided a player doesnt duck to increase the probability of a hit to the head. Secondly, I just wander if Lynch would be a good candidate to wear a helmet if anything just to give him confidence, its an option he needs to seriously consider.

Just a concussion in the end.
Tried to duck a tackle and was caught by players hip.

He has to stop ducking for his own welfare. Has always done it, got a few frees, but lately its costing him his well-being.

Looks like Jenkins only played ruck. Pods down back. Walker only part time. we played short in the forward line.
Think Walsh was trying a few things. Betts looked good in the centre square!
B. Crouch gets it a lot but gives it up quickly with poor handball options.
Jaensch looks comfortable at AFL level now. Brown was good.
Wigg / Kelly / Ellis-Yolmen not ready.
Kerridge quiet as always, except strangely enough it was NM...
Interested to see who is picked for the next game.

Lynch should be the last person to wear a helmet. He's a chronic head ducker and needs to stop.

O'Brien, Crouch, Kerridge, Lyons all very encouraging.

Apart from that it was pretty meh, except for how great it is to have footy back!

Eddie clearly the BOG.

Lyons and Crouch in the next bracket. Great around the clearances, especially considering how badly our rucks were getting caned. Both were a little sloppy at times though - Crouch with a few shocker handpasses and Lyons kicking into the man on the mark.

Most players had their moments really. It was a pretty even collective effort in the first 3 quarters. I liked Henderson's first half, Kerridge did some decent things in a peripheral role, Laird was good, some of Grigg's kicks were great (although he had some shockers too), Sloane and vB did fine cruising through the game in outside roles.

The only part of the game we clearly lost was the ruck contest. We made Daw look like a superstar. I really wish we got a look at Lowden today instead of watching Jenkins get pantsed as a first ruck.

Only individual disappointment for me was CEY. He ended up with a decent stat line but... that kick of his... very hard to see him making it.

I'm sure its all been covered in the commentary or press conference but Tom Lynch looked alright walking back to the hotel with a group of guys who didn't play after the game. No other staff or doctors etc with them. So looks like he is alright.

Walsh would especially not want to show all his cards against North considering we have them from the start of the season proper.

Same tactic that Blight used in 98 H&A as he knew we would face them in September.

Wouldnt surprise me if Walsh has kept the powder dry for the R1 game. It would be pretty stupid of Walsh to reveal tactics in a meaningless game especially as a new coach where it would be harder for Scott to plan against.

Ugly:

• The ump acting as goalie for Eddie's kick... what happens if that's a final and a team was to lose by less than a goal after an incident like that?

The rule has always been that if you hit an umpire it is as if they are 'invisible'. It's happened in the field of play before where a kick has hit an umpire and another player has then 'marked' the ball and it's been paid as a mark (quite rightly). Just because it happens to us once, it shows that Eddie and others should know the rules better as that is one that has stayed the same for a very, very long time.

The rule has always been that if you hit an umpire it is as if they are 'invisible'. It's happened in the field of play before where a kick has hit an umpire and another player has then 'marked' the ball and it's been paid as a mark (quite rightly). Just because it happens to us once, it shows that Eddie and others should know the rules better as that is one that has stayed the same for a very, very long time.
Yep that's the rule but terrible effort not to get out of the way he was running into an open goal!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back