• Lachie Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heat maps

Still hasn’t been moved from defence from his early sydney days 😆
Even better than you dreamed he could be!

Good call

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The thing is, it was so obvious how we could benefit from his delivery to our forwards. Not sure how many times I had to argue this.

His kicking is a weapon but he’s offering so much more than that too. Sensational player.

The thing is, it was so obvious how we could benefit from his delivery to our forwards. Not sure how many times I had to argue this.

His kicking is a weapon but he’s offering so much more than that too. Sensational player.
What we didn’t know is how effective he could be at CBAs

Most of us wanted him up the ground, but as a wing IIRC

I was sold of his inside capabilities from the 24 tackle game he had in there a few years ago

Only reason he didn’t get a chance in there for Sydney was Kennedy and Parker
Yep fair

A wonder why we didn’t go down that route sooner. Maybe only now we’re starting to really trust guys like Hinge and Milera? Adding MM is a big bonus to helping us get to this point, too

Yep fair

A wonder why we didn’t go down that route sooner. Maybe only now we’re starting to really trust guys like Hinge and Milera? Adding MM is a big bonus to helping us get to this point, too
He actually played some minutes inside mid round 1 2022 vs Freo in the first half

Was his first game for new club and wasn’t quite himself until moved to half back later in the same game as we needed someone to stem tide

Then not seen in there again until this years showdown

It's hilarious they think they have a decent list/side, it's still got massive holes in it.
I've said this before, their list is practically a carbon copy of their 2009-11 lists. Very good top-end talent where their top half-dozen or so is as good as anyone's in the league, but their bottom 6 are barely VFL standard which will hold them back from ever contending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What we didn’t know is how effective he could be at CBAs

Most of us wanted him up the ground, but as a wing IIRC
IIRC it was stated the other day by David King .....we are still one of the worst CBA clearance teams in the AFL

Definitely an area of improvement

IIRC it was stated the other day by David King .....we are still one of the worst CBA clearance teams in the AFL

Definitely an area of improvement
I still think we need one more taller clearance beast in the mix together with Dawson, Laird and Rachele, to help out with bigger midfields - don’t think that player is on our list currently (unless Bond or Dowling becomes that guy)

Weirdly enough, we won the centre clearances against the biggest midfield we’ve faced so far in the Blues, but have lost them every other week

I still think we need one more taller clearance beast in the mix together with Dawson, Laird and Rachele, to help out with bigger midfields - don’t think that player is on our list currently (unless Bond or Dowling becomes that guy)

Weirdly enough, we won the centre clearances against the biggest midfield we’ve faced so far in the Blues, but have lost them every other week
Interestingly, with the game opening up, and fewer ball-ups ....those bigger midfield's may not be the way of the future ....particularly if, as expected, the last touch rule is brought in

Cripps is a clearance beast ....but not a known contested mark ....or his kicking

Dawson, is better known as a contested mark ....and elite kick ...not so much as a clearance beast

As I've spruiked infinitum over 10 years ....I love a contested marking midfielder .....we've finally got one, and doesn't it make a difference

Interestingly, with the game opening up, and fewer ball-ups ....those bigger midfield's may not be the way of the future ....particularly if, as expected, the last touch rule is brought in

Cripps is a clearance beast ....but not a known contested mark ....or his kicking

Dawson, is better known as a contested mark ....and elite kick ...not so much as a clearance beast

As I've spruiked infinitum over 10 years ....I love a contested marking midfielder .....we've finally got one, and doesn't it make a difference
Funnily enough, the contested marking side of Dawson’s game isn’t what I’ve noticed most through the middle of the ground - other than his kicking, it’s his ability to find time and space. At his height (creating an ability to shrug off smaller players), that is an invaluable skill to have. The contested marking is important to have though, I agree

Re: going to smaller midfields - we saw how a guy like Tom Green carved us up in the 2nd half of R1. I think we need a bigger guy that can play the ‘#1 in the chain’ role to stand up to those types of players. Obviously needs to have clean ball take, ability to use size to advantage etc too

Laird and ‘unknown mid’ to be first link, Dawson and Rachele as second link

Re: going to smaller midfields - we saw how a guy like Tom Green carved us up in the 2nd half of R1. I think we need a bigger guy that can play the ‘#1 in the chain’ role to stand up to those types of players. Obviously needs to have clean ball take, ability to use size to advantage etc too

Laird and ‘unknown mid’ to be first link, Dawson and Rachele as second link
Agree ...a replacement for Laird

I still think the mini-hulk, Sam Berry can compete against those bigger midfielders

Now, a team trying to match the height of Dawson is harder .....because of Dawons agility

Setterfield is doing a great job as ESS's big bodied MID .....but you wouldn't say he's anywhere near hulk mode

Agree ...a replacement for Laird

I still think the mini-hulk, Sam Berry can compete against those bigger midfielders

Now, a team trying to match the height of Dawson is harder .....because of Dawons agility

Setterfield is doing a great job as ESS's big bodied MID .....but you wouldn't say he's anywhere near hulk mode
By roughly 2026 I reckon we’ll have Berry and ‘unknown mid’ playing that #1 link role. Laird going back to HB in his twilight. I still have a lot of faith in Berry

With adding Dawson to the mix, we’ve improved on our spread from the centre contest tenfold. Agree that it’s a lot harder to match a player like that, elite spread from the contest is something incredibly tough to develop in general. Now it’s just a matter of making our midfield more complete, we’re not too far off it

By roughly 2026 I reckon we’ll have Berry and ‘unknown mid’ playing that #1 link role. Laird going back to HB in his twilight. I still have a lot of faith in Berry
👍

I'm the same with Berry ....won't be a great player, but can be a clearance beast as first touch .....same with Pedlar

Berry needs to be on the edge to play his best .....missing the first few games last year, acted as a spur .....maybe he got a bit comfortable this year ?

Was averaging 8-10 tackles a game .....this year 2 .....has to be workrate that sees his tackling drop away

The forward kicking was never in question. I have been somewhat surprised at his aggression and physicality in and around stoppage. Any question marks on his leadership were wiped away 15 minutes into the Showdown

It's hilarious they think they have a decent list/side, it's still got massive holes in it.

Last two Coleman’s, arguably the most impressive rising star winner, last years Brownlow. One of the best fullbacks in the business. They have a lot right

Unfortunately for them, below around their top 15 it falls away pretty quickly

Last two Coleman’s, arguably the most impressive rising star winner, last years Brownlow. One of the best fullbacks in the business. They have a lot right

Unfortunately for them, below around their top 15 it falls away pretty quickly

How many draft wins have they had outside the first round? Not many.

Most of their role player trade ins have been fails too. It's why their depth sucks

Don’t underestimate ROB’s influence against Carlton at centre bounce. I noticed a number of times he just stood in the way with his arms out create an open path for Laird and Dawson to get the ground ball. ROB did a lot of “non statistical” bullocking work in that game

Back