Goodes on report

Remove this Banner Ad

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2018 - Colyer, Fantasia, McDonald-Tipungwuti and McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2017 Essendon Player Sponsor 2016 Essendon Player Sponsor 2014 Essendon Player Sponsor 2015
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays
For going in to a tackle knees first again. Interestingly, Brereton said he would get off, purely because his name is Adam Goodes.

Maybe he'll get off because, this time around, it wasn't much of an incident.

Not a smart tactic to be running with though, as on a different day, with different timing, it could result in a nasty injury to an opponent.

For going in to a tackle knees first again. Interestingly, Brereton said he would get off, purely because his name is Adam Goodes.

Again? The time he got suspended was for going in and making contact studs up. This time both players left their feet at the same time for a loose ball and the contact was leg to leg.

Try having a look at it.

the way these things are interpreted by the MRP, Goodes should get matches. In normal circumstances it wouldn't be looked at, but the AFL isn't normal, and they suspend these incidents.

However, I really think something needs to be done to prevent players from getting as low as possible to milk a free for high contact when approaching the ball. This is what causes such incidents to occur. There was no need for the Port player to be down as low to the ground as he was.

He should get suspended but he won't. There have been worse incidents than that one that he has been reported for.

Thanks Shotties. Seeing the footage from the original angle it looked worse but the other angles show both went low in the same action but one came off worse in the collision. Goodes action had the effect of braking his closing speed and probably avoided a far more serious condition had he hit the player while upright. I couldn't see what else he could do other than dive headfirst. Again, a tactic that would have left the Port player no better off and could have seriously injured Goodes. The impact was not that hard. It was a thigh impact to the buttock. Nothing in it. Goodes reported because he's Goodes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the way these things are interpreted by the MRP, Goodes should get matches. In normal circumstances it wouldn't be looked at, but the AFL isn't normal, and they suspend these incidents.

However, I really think something needs to be done to prevent players from getting as low as possible to milk a free for high contact when approaching the ball. This is what causes such incidents to occur. There was no need for the Port player to be down as low to the ground as he was.

Exactly. I can't rmember seeing so much sliding in on the knees until the head high rule was brought in. For me, the pedantic protect the head mentality has caused more risk taking and dangerous techniques.

Should get away with this one, will be really soft if he does get a week or two for that.

Seriously, Goodes and the Port player (was it Gray?) did the exact same thing. The only difference is Goodes is bigger, so he didn't take the brunt of the impact.

Yep. I'm obviously biased, but I can't see what Goodes and the Port player did differently. Very different to the NAB cup one where he pretty much led with his studs.

Didn't Goodes get a reprimand in this years preseason for doing something very similar?

If he did he will get a week for this. You simply can't run and slide knees first into players on the ground. Especially someone as big as Goodes.

Not a happy camper, this weekend I've lost Fyfe shoulder, Lake on report and also Goodes on report from my Dream Team.:(

Didn't Goodes get a reprimand in this years preseason for doing something very similar?

If he did he will get a week for this. You simply can't run and slide knees first into players on the ground. Especially someone as big as Goodes.

Not a happy camper, this weekend I've lost Fyfe shoulder, Lake on report and also Goodes on report from my Dream Team.:(

Slide... Your now embellishing the incident.

Nowhere near as bad on replay as it seemed at the ground, but they were both very different actions. Surj dove on the ball to win it. Goodes dove into the contest knees first and leaning back, not really near the ball at all.

At the ground, Goodes apologised to Surjan straight after.

Should get suspended? Why?

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=129639

"Goodes was booked for sliding feet-first into Hunt during the second half of the Swans' 16-point loss to the Cats on Friday night.

The incident was assessed as reckless conduct and low impact, meaning Goodes drew an initial penalty of 125 demerit points."

So basically he did something very similar less than 8 weeks ago and copped a week for it.

Obviously has not learned or adjusted the way he attacks a player who is on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back