News Grand Final at the Craypot

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final are so well received in WA. More GF should be held in Perth. In saying that I do hope the Covid issue will be gone by the next GF.

I'd like to see them rotate it every year like the superbowl, but never going to happen. I'd even make the concession that it's at the MCG every second year i.e. MCG, Perth, MCG, Adelaide etc., but again, never going to happen.

Got to laugh that Gil's words when he signed that contract through to my 67th birthday when I was 28 at the time (and probably the 10th anniversary of his own death) were that 'this gives the AFL great certainty.' Just goes to show how stupid it was in hindsight, and at the time for mine.

No incentive for any other state to fund a massive stadium, demoralising for fans in growth areas ala NSW/QLD, and with the way technology exponentially grows he's probably ruled out the chances of the Mars 2050 Grand Final on Mars. The MCC is truly the biggest blight on our game, they like to say it's about 'most fans' being able to attend the big dance, but in reality there's about as many tickets available to the public/members at Optus as there is at an MCG grand final. The 2010 grand final replay is probably the purest grand final ever (yuck pies) given the MCC didn't get it.

I won't even go into the 'it's about tradition' argument given that the AFL picks and chooses what's actually traditional *cough* night grand final profits *cough*.

Still reckon highest ranked team should host. Rotating it is the next best option.

If stadium size/quality is an issue, start with MCG/Adelaide Oval/Optus and as other states improve their stadiums they can be added to the rotation. For now, if say Sydney earns the right to host, and their stadium isn't good enough, they can nominate the GF location from the rotation list.

I've read comments from people suggesting the GF contract might not actually be legal as it breaches some kind of competition legislation. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? Now would be a good time to start a class action lawsuit if there is, to force their hand into changes.

Trying to get tickets for others.

Didn't know about the queue and so only clicked the join the queue box just before 10:00 - currently 20,585 ahead of me.

My wife has apparently been in the queue since 9:30 and she is at 32,000.

:drunk:
Yeah I was in the queue from 9:30 and so was my missus. Somehow she was 2,000th in line and I was 80,000th. What the *

I've read comments from people suggesting the GF contract might not actually be legal as it breaches some kind of competition legislation. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? Now would be a good time to start a class action lawsuit if there is, to force their hand into changes.
It was done so fast, it certainly wasn't transparent and open for discussion with the rest of the league (or didn't appear to be?). It smacked of complete bias Vic-centric crap, for what is supposedly a national comp?
(but I might be a tad biased also)(as he spits and curses!)

I liked this guy’s idea

Another option to get an AFL Grand Final outside Melbourne is to create another TROPHY (called whatever name by a major sponsor)similar to the British FA Cup. Some idea rushed out of my head are:
1. 17 rounds for traditional home and away season remain. (plus 4 final rounds)
2. Extra rounds plus preseason will form a knockout (or grp then knockout) competition (+ bye for the losers).
3. "Knockout" GF will be played outside Victoria with an agreed protocol.
4. There will be points allocated to the winners of the "knockout competition" (not necessary 4 points for a win or 0 point for a loss) towards the traditional AFL Premiership. This will give teams more incentive to win this "knockout" competition.
5. The Grand Finalists will automatically qualify for the AFL Final Series (with minimium positions at 7 or 8 if the team is not in the top 8 after 17 rounds) (If team is in top 8 after 17 rounds, then the final position will be awarded higher by one for being one of the knockout finalists).
6. Extra draft picks for "knockout" grand finalists as incentive to compete and win.
7. "Knockout" GF to be held at the Winter school holidays. Make it big.

4,5,6 are incentives to ensure teams want to win in this "knockout" competition.

Benefits:
1. Another GF at other capital cities without affecting the contracted Victoria/MCG commitiment.
2. Play each team once in the traditional home and away season
3. Expanding the competition (expecting more income for the AFL)

Last edited:
Already had 2 tix from Dees barcodes on Monday. Tried again today, phone was 100000 in queue, Chrome browser was 80000 and edge browser was 90000.

Mate I was going with already scored 4 tickets tho, so we are using those and bringing another mate and my bro. 549 row 1 so pretty happy with that :) His bro is taking our 2 Dees seats.

My sister managed to get through too and is taking Mum & Dad, so whole family is going!

I liked this guy’s idea

Despite both being WA lads and starting out their careers with ABC Perth both Sprigg and Middlemas love nothing more in recent times than trolling WA footy (WCE & Freo) and footy followers with sniping from their “ivory towers” in Sydney and Melbourne respectively. Really bizarre for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite both being WA lads and starting out their careers with ABC Perth both Sprigg and Middlemas love nothing more in recent times than trolling WA footy (WCE & Freo) and footy followers with sniping from their “ivory towers” in Sydney and Melbourne respectively. Really bizarre for mine.
They're like the flogs that are WA bred but support a Victorian team for some lame reason. They hate West Coast because we are more successful. I met an Essendon supporter like this and he tried to hang his hat on the fact that they had the best team ever in 2000. I just walked away and thought about how we've played in 4 GFs since then and won two.

Had a quick look at Gumtree. Scalpers seem to have been removed. All I see now are peeps hoping to swap tickets.

Unintended consequence of the laws might be changing the scalping system from OP being "I want to sell my ticket for $$$$" to the customer coming posting first with "I want a ticket" and scalpers messaging them directly.

Unintended consequence of the laws might be changing the scalping system from OP being "I want to sell my ticket for $$$$" to the customer coming posting first with "I want a ticket" and scalpers messaging them directly.
I dont think we can post "wanted GF Ticket" in Gumtree either.

This system basically is a ballot for people in the "queue".

An actual ballot works ok for members - but for GA, every man and his dog would just put there name down. Better people at least have to try and purchase tickets, fake queue or not.
While I agree this ballot system can be abused, there is no problem for anyone to have a go as long as the person won the ballot is the one attending the game. Some sort of identification (student id, driver‘s licence, passport etc) on top of the ticket can be a way.

Anyone's who's keen there's still packages left here if ur happy to pay

So, if these don't sell (and I'm not sure if there are any other random packages floating around still), we won't get a sell out?

Or will they have to release them back and we'll see a tiny second round of general admission?

So, if these don't sell (and I'm not sure if there are any other random packages floating around still), we won't get a sell out?

Or will they have to release them back and we'll see a tiny second round of general admission?
I expect they'll just reduce the price until they sell or just give them to mates (perhaps at face value).

But from the demand I am seeing, they should sell.

They just sold out this morning apparently

I know there was around 70 available just before the 10000 GA went on sale yesterday

There might be some of these left

I know there was around 70 available just before the 10000 GA went on sale yesterday

Tin rattler premium. Would be good to hear from Simmo though, and get stuck into Colonial Pale Ale for a few hours

Haha yes I saw that they sold out. Posted it on my Facebook page this morning, and gone haha.

Have shared your one now. That guest list for lunch!

The all-star line up of talent includes the Premiership Cup ambassador and local hero Glen Jakovich and premiership winning Eagles in Adam Simpson and Dom Sheed to discuss that amazing moment. Guests will get a different lense on Grand Final day from current players Stephen Coniglio, Mitch Duncan and Michael Walters. One of Australia's favourite comedians Pete Rowsthorn will set the tone for the day with his whip smart humour. Importantly, Fox Footy's Bernie Vince, SEN's Paul Hasleby and AFLW trailblazer Michelle Cowan will provide the in-depth analysis of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back