Grand Final's held around the nation instead of MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't top the atomsphere and magical spectacle at MCG. Kinda dulls the day/Grand Final week if the parade etc all was moved, Melbourne is the football capital and place to be every year regardless of who's playing

Last night, David Koch proposed the idea of getting the AFL to host the Grand Final match around the nation rather than the MCG alone. Same system the NFL and UEFA uses.

What are your thoughts?
UEFA can do it because of the geography of Europe - it's many countries playing from different leagues. Plus billions watch it and travelling to each stadium is relatively easy due to the infrastructure, transportation which is already in place at and around the stadium anyway. Travelling to Perth for example would be an absolute nightmare given public transport demands as well as the airport isn't set up to cater for it.

Unless you live in Melbourne you have to pay $3000 to get to see a gf. Not a good promotion of Australia's game. Sydney will host one by 2025 IMO

Rather pay that then the thousands more you have get for a Superbowl ticket or Champions league final. Unless Stadium Australia actually renovates the ground (it is utter shite playing on it, a joke) and was closer to Sydney CBD (it's a 30 m train ride with no other trams/buses getting there quicker- MCG is walking distance from the CBD anyway), don't think anyone would want to watch footy there instead of MCG.

Where else are you going to have it other than the MCG? The Gabba (only 40,000 capacity)? ANZ Stadium (an MCG-wannabe dump). No way. The MCG has worked well as a grand final venue for decades and I hope it remains so for decades to come. It won't happen anyway given the long term contract to have the grand final at the MCG until at least 2037.

I think part of the feel around the Grand final is the fact that it is played in front of so many people.
If the grand final was played in front of 50000 people it would really have the hype that it does now?

Again i know it has been discussed above but some clubs need to remember you came and joined the VFL, we did not come and join the SANFL or WAFL.

If Tigers ever make it into a Grand Final in my lifetime there is already barely a chance of getting tickets in a 100000 seat stadium let alone a smaller one, why lock more people out than need to be?

If you want it build a beautiful 100000 seat stadium and then give it a crack, until then enjoy the beautiful event and understand why Melbourne is not only the sporting capital of Australia, but the world.

(This is coming from no bias at all after growing up in regional NSW and being a hell of a lot closer to Sydney than Melbourne)

More than happy for it to be played in Adelaide assuming Power or Crows make it as the home team to the Grand Final, so long as they can host it in a stadium with at least nearly as high a capacity as the MCG.

If not, it's much better for the league to play it in Melbourne where we already have a stadium that will seat 100,000+ people.
more profits from entries, food sold, and an overall better atmosphere.

I'm sure if you asked a young AFL listed player what his biggest desire for his career is, they'd say to run out onto the G' for Grand Final day, or to stand on the G' after winning the Grand Final.

stupid idea. take then ight grand final that everyone wants, dont get this stupid rotation stadium thing. they can keep it

If the Grand Final was held interstate it would allow the Great Southern Stand to be rebuilt again to be inline with the Olympic Stand. Capacity would be 120,000 and those extra 20,000 would be GA.
Say what? How many millions are we spending for max 3 capacity games a year? And what's stopping the AFL flogging a further 20,000 corporate tickets?

MCG's current capacity is absolutely fine.

Say what? How many millions are we spending for max 3 capacity games a year? And what's stopping the AFL flogging a further 20,000 corporate tickets?

MCG's current capacity is absolutely fine.

I agree with you in the fact it doesn't need to be bigger, but if it is redeveloped it may as well be the same as the other side to make it symmetric and then would up the capacity.
Though in saying the the extra seating on the other three levels would compensate the 3rd level in front of the corporate suits they did not put into the new stands

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Northern side has the same number of rows of seats. Its just that they have more legroom

One optiion might be to have some convertible areas behind goals, to increase numbers of standing room tickets

Seems to be a trend in the US

The grand final should never move from the MCG, with the only possible exception being if the MCG was ever undergoing renovations.

Who cares if two insterstate clubs are playing in the GF? Means their fans get a weekend away in Melbourne!

Everyone who wants this stupid idea, but DOES NOT want a night grand final is a hypocrite

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Everyone who wants this stupid idea, but DOES NOT want a night grand final is a hypocrite
Why? Don't see how they are related at all other than the stupid notion of 'tradition'. One has to do with the home side getting the right to play the GF at their home ground. The other has to do with not wanting to stay up until 7:30 to watch a game of footy. I'm failing to see the logic.

That said, as long as every state has a 65k+ stadium, I don't see why it shouldn't be moved from state to state. Having it at night doesn't bother me either to be 100% honest.

Why? Don't see how they are related at all other than the stupid notion of 'tradition'. One has to do with the home side getting the right to play the GF at their home ground. The other has to do with not wanting to stay up until 7:30 to watch a game of footy. I'm failing to see the logic.

That said, as long as every state has a 65k+ stadium, I don't see why it shouldn't be moved from state to state. Having it at night doesn't bother me either to be 100% honest.
Everyone in that thread ignored the infinetly better and preffered option of a night grand final because "we don't need to change tradition"

Everyone in that thread ignored the infinetly better and preffered option of a night grand final because "we don't need to change tradition"

Tradition is a load of BS anyway

America only transfers the location of the superbowl each year because many of the stadiums are world class and can seat 60,000 plus. unfortunately the same cant be said for the afl. youd rather see the grand final played in front of 100,000 rather than 40,000 (or 30,000 in the a-leagues case, a discussion for another time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back