Great moments in cinema

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just looking through the Random Thoughts thread and saw this post from Powerstufff

Nothing can ever replicate sitting in a full-size cinema in 1980 (or thereabouts) and seeing the opening moments of the first movie. The now famous scrolling text setting the scene, the little diplomatic ship firing astern and then the cinema rumbling as the pursuing Star Destroyer comes seemingly endlessly onto the screen. In the pre-internet days there were stuff-all ways to spoil that for people yet to see it.

What were others' memorable movie moments? (I was going to say moments in a cinema before realising the danger of that can of worms ;))

I still vividly remember the scene in Jaws when the shark pokes his head out of the water while Chief Brody is ladling chum and Brody says You're gonna need a bigger boat.

I was just looking through the Random Thoughts thread and saw this post from Powerstufff...
That was odd, looking into another thread and seeing myself quoted in a different place. I feel the need to point out that when I said "Nothing can ever replicate ....." it was in reference to watching any of the Star Wars movies.

Continuing to show my age:
  • 'Emmanuelle', a group of us got into see it at 17. One member of the group famously stuffed up his "I am 18" background story and had to wander around in Adelaide until we came out. Raunchy and well produced it stands out to me because it is basically pr0n, not a film that has sex integral to the story but a film where sex is the story.
  • 'Jaws', for me the scene where the head falls out of the hole in the bottom of the boat. I swore out loud in the cinema and that was unusual as I rarely swear now and never did then.
  • 'Alien', scary as all hell and arguably the last time I went to a movie which was promoted as scary.
  • 'Blade Runner', super-classy. Nice to see a great film made just for the heck of it. Sort of the 'Casablanca' of my era.
  • 'The Kings Speech', a pretty well perfect film of its type.
Obviously I've seen plenty of other films but much less often do I see them in cinemas. And when I do they are more likely to be in tiny cinemas with 50 people. Also as I get older it's harder to get that 'Wow! factor going, my thumbs up these days tends to be for when I'm not actually disappointed.

Alex the Droog crooning, 'Singing in the Rain' while assaulting the couple in their Home.

Carlton Heston damning them all to Hell in front of a half-buried Lady Liberty.

Deckard finding the origami unicorn.

Nicholson peering through the freshly axed hole in the door and parodying Johnny Carson. (Also the green machine ride through the hallways to discover the twins.)

Linda Blair's 360 degree, self-chiropractic work.

The hacked buffalo / Kurtz murder simile.

The Spider/Crab head running across the floor in the arctic station.

Almost every second scene in Pulp Fiction.

Alex the Droog crooning, 'Singing in the Rain' while assaulting the couple in their Home.

Carlton Heston damning them all to Hell in front of a half-buried Lady Liberty.

Deckard finding the origami unicorn.

Nicholson peering through the freshly axed hole in the door and parodying Johnny Carson. (Also the green machine ride through the hallways to discover the twins.)

Linda Blair's 360 degree, self-chiropractic work.

The hacked buffalo / Kurtz murder simile.

The Spider/Crab head running across the floor in the arctic station.

Almost every second scene in Pulp Fiction.

Three of my faves right there.

Apocalypse Now has some of my favourites right through the movie:

Martin Sheen impersonating his son before he knew him in the opening scene.

"Charlie Don't Surf".

Any scene with Marlon Brando.

Any scene with Marlon Brando's voice.

I really love that movie.

Christian Bale's Phil Collins monologue in American Psycho

Mike and Heather entering the house at the end of Blair Witch Project, with Heather dying as she sees Mike standing against the Wall in the basement.

The shower scene in Psycho

The 'Mad World' montage in Donnie Darko

the scene in Crash where the persian shop-owner visits the locksmiths house.

i wont mention what happens because it is one of the single greatest scenes ive ever seen. brilliant.

in Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind the scene where they flit between scenes of carrey and winslet arguing in the house as it is deconstructed and scenes of carrey in the car leaving the beach with his sister. in some of the frames look carefully at the sand and the buckets that appear in the station-wagon. the language written for carrey is beautifully delivered to this visually delight. so so much going on in this scene to process.

in terms of the most memorable scene in cinema for me personally??

hard to say, i tend to remember films as a whole rather than parts and remember books well as parts. i also see alot of films in cinema but seem to remember all my favourites on dvd.

some cinema experiences i remember include,

Wall-e, its not often a hollywood movie can endear a character to you so quickly as they did to me with wall-e. i mean, i hate cockcroaches, i hate machines, but you put them together and you are reminded of a side of humanity.. yeah weird.

christoph waltz, a farmer, and a glass of milk in tarantino's Inglourious Basterds.

ryan gosling, the best jacket ive seen in ages, and any number of violent outbursts in Drive.

the opening scenes from Team America. i sat in a cinema for the first time in my life completely unsure what to expect. i doubt i will have that feeling ever again. for all their stupidity you have to hand it to the guys for probably delivering the most unique and adventurous film that will brace mainstream theatres for a long time.

there would be many many more that i forget off the top of my head.

Great moments in cinema?

Godfather I - Opening scene with the undertaker

Godfather II - Micheal's kiss of death in Cuba

Scarface - final showdown

Alien - Ripley getting into the spacesuit at the end

Predator - "If it bleeds, we can kill it"

Terminator I - "I'll be back"

Terminator II - "I need you clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Jurassic Park - T-Rex scene

Lethal Weapon 2 - Toilet bomb

Cliffhanger - "You're not going to die"

Pulp Fiction - Vince's date with Mia

The Matrix - That 360 degree bullet dodge scene

2001: A Space Odyssey - Dave turning Hal off

Independence Day - Washington DC, New York, etc getting blown to bits

Raider's of the Lost Ark - Indy getting the golden idol

Star Wars V: Empire Strikes Back - "Luke, I am your father"

Se7en - Every deadly sin

Jaws - "You're going to need a bigger boat"

Commando.

1. "What happened to Skully?"

2. "Hey man you said you were going to kill me last?"

3. "Don't disturb my friend..."

4. "Let off some steam Bennett"

etc etc.

Possibly best one liners of all time all in one movie and all delivered by the irrepressible Arnie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Dr. Zhivago at the Capri was just inspirational, and my heart sank when Yuri was on his way to see Lara and got kidnapped to be a doctor in the Red Army. Arrrgh, how could they?
  • The corkboard moment at the end of The Usual Suspects. I had no idea who Keyser Soze was.
  • More than any other film, watching Jane's Campion's An Angel At My Table at the Trak Cinema ****ed me up enormously, and I highly recommend watching it to anyone who wants to feel like s**t. I'd name a moment, but I think its being repressed.
  • The ending of The Machinist with Christian Bale...I fell apart. An additional moment, the workplace accident that happens during it though, HOLY *.
  • Lee Marvin singing in Paint Your Wagon.
  • "Hang on tightly, let go lightly" - Clive Owen in Croupier
  • Unbreakable (fresh in my mind) where Mr. Glass explains that helping Bruce Willis' character is a great moment, because now he understand who he is himself.
  • Good Will Hunting - "Its not your fault."
  • Mystic River, when the main character's wife tells him that killing his innocent friend was `the right thing to do'. Fuuuuck.
  • Tombstone - Val Kilmer's gunplay with a tin cup
  • About Schmidt, right at the end when Schmidt gets the picture from the kid he sponsors in Africa, and how wretched/grateful/happy/sad that moment is.

I used to walk around thinking i was Spicoli. In reality i probably identified with Mark Ratner more than anyone.

I loved Spicolli especially the scene where he passed his final test with My Favourite Martian.

Underrated film actually and you get to see Phoebe Cates boobs so yeah.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back