Has Gardiner been rules out of round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

eagleye

Senior List
Jan 31, 2004
AFL house
Other Teams
The mighty Wets Coast Eagles
They say every cloud has a silver lining, and that’s certainly the case for West Coast Eagles ruckman Michael Gardiner this weekend.

Gardiner, who has missed much of the pre-season with a hamstring strain, has been ruled out of this weekend’s opening round.

But with the temperature expected to top 40 degrees in the next couple of days, the less-than-perfect condition of his ‘string’ has saved him from playing in the heat.

Gardiner denied checking the forecast before testing the hamstring.

“No, I didn’t. The hamstring just wasn’t quite a hundred percent this week. It will be next week, so I’m looking forward to playing round one,” he said with a laugh before training at Subiaco Oval in a balmy 34 degrees.

Playing next week with no pre-season games under his belt would be a new thing to deal with, the 199cm ruckman/forward conceded.

“It represents a new challenge for me. Normally I’m pretty fit this time of the year, but I‘m looking forward to it and it’ll be a hundred percent.

“I’ve still been able to do plenty of work, plenty of fitness work, it’s just my match fitness where I’m going to struggle, but as I said, I’m looking forward to it.”

Gardiner, who missed four weeks late last season with a knee injury, conceded the enforced break had probably been a good thing in the longer term.

“Definitely. I’m mentally and physically as fresh as I’ve ever been going into a season, so hopefully, that’s going to be a positive, and we’ll tell later on in the year.”

On his return at the end of the season, Gardiner slotted into the team at centre-half-forward for round 22 and the elimination final, kicking five goals in the two games, and said he had confidence in the ruck duo which has carried West Coast through the preseason.

“(Mark) Seaby and (Dean) Cox have both done a good job in the preseason in the ruck, and I think they’ll shoulder a bit of the responsibility in the first half of the year – well, for the whole year.”

does this mean Gardiner is out fro round 1?
if so who cox will have to shoulder the ruck but we'll be down a quality CHF, I spose Seaby will play, i personally don't think his quite ready for AFL, could be wrong though

“No, I didn’t. The hamstring just wasn’t quite a hundred percent this week. It will be next week, so I’m looking forward to playing round one....”

No, no he hasn't been ruled out.

At this point he seems likely to play.

I would not play Gardiner until he is 100% and use him around CHF to ease him in the season in the right way as Cox and Seaby could shoulder the ruck work until he hits his straps fitness wise.

I think the Eagles would be better advise to take this approach.

I think he has to play up forward for the first 60% of the season so he doesnt get injured. This'll keep him fit and keep him raring to go and then we can throw him into the ruck and he'll fire just in time for the finals!

I personally don't think we will see him in Round 1. I was watching him training in the sports reports tonight and he didn't look as if he was comfortable on the knee just yet. Might have to have an injection to get through a game but if it were me I wouldn't risk it.

Hunter should be ready to play and it would only be due to lack of match practice if he were to miss.

The latest from the West Coast website is

Josh Wooden (collarbone) 5 weeks
Ashley Hansen (shoulder) 5-6 weeks
Darren Glass (shoulder) 3-4 weeks
Travis Gaspar (foot) 3-4 weeks
Adam Hunter (knee) Test
Michael Gardiner (hamstring) Test
Paul Johnson (ankle) Test
Adam Selwood (groin) 1 week
Zac Beeck (knee) 1 week

I think we can safely add Collica to the list as I would estimate he would be out for 2 weeks with a Hamstring Strain.

Johnsons ankle should be ok and Selwood might take a little more time than 1 week. On the topic of Selwood Wisbey described his style as "like (slightly taller) Dean Laidley". A taller version of the Junkyard Dog would be an asset to us.

2 players who have been quietly pushing for a first round spot are Waters and Butler. Butler was given limited time in his debut with Perth on the weekend but seems to have relished his time with 1 goal and was named amongst Perths best.

I don't know what role young Zach Beeck will play for us as we seem to be top heavy in the ruck department. Not sure whether he is capable of playing another position.

Hopefully they won't rush Gardiner back in and risk his knee.

That injury list has been up like that for the last 1-2 weeks.

On that article, it was talking about round 1 of the WAFL. On channel 7 tonight Woosha basically said hed play, but also that hell probably play up forward, with the media AGAIn saying Seaby is a VERY strong chance to make his debut.

Originally posted by West Coast Stre
I personally don't think we will see him in Round 1. I was watching him training in the sports reports tonight and he didn't look as if he was comfortable on the knee just yet. Might have to have an injection to get through a game but if it were me I wouldn't risk it.

Hunter should be ready to play and it would only be due to lack of match practice if he were to miss.

The latest from the West Coast website is

Josh Wooden (collarbone) 5 weeks
Ashley Hansen (shoulder) 5-6 weeks
Darren Glass (shoulder) 3-4 weeks
Travis Gaspar (foot) 3-4 weeks
Adam Hunter (knee) Test
Michael Gardiner (hamstring) Test
Paul Johnson (ankle) Test
Adam Selwood (groin) 1 week
Zac Beeck (knee) 1 week

I think we can safely add Collica to the list as I would estimate he would be out for 2 weeks with a Hamstring Strain.

Johnsons ankle should be ok and Selwood might take a little more time than 1 week. On the topic of Selwood Wisbey described his style as "like (slightly taller) Dean Laidley". A taller version of the Junkyard Dog would be an asset to us.

2 players who have been quietly pushing for a first round spot are Waters and Butler. Butler was given limited time in his debut with Perth on the weekend but seems to have relished his time with 1 goal and was named amongst Perths best.

I don't know what role young Zach Beeck will play for us as we seem to be top heavy in the ruck department. Not sure whether he is capable of playing another position.

Hopefully they won't rush Gardiner back in and risk his knee.

I'd rest a lot easier with Hunter in our team- even at 190 he's probably the best option for Rawlings.
As for Gardiner, I'm still optimistic he'll be out there round 1, but we shall see.

As for Gassy and Glassy, geez it'll be sweet if we get them both back on schedule. 3-4 weeks means there's a chance of either being back for round 3 against Essendon, or the following week against Brisbane over here- both would be a godsend for those games- hypothetically, if Lynch, Johnson and McDougall play well until then, we could have the luxury of using Gaspar as a third tall..

Originally posted by Black JuJu
Ahh yeah must have been an error with the cut and paste there Streaker.

This should read -

Travis Gaspar (foot) 10-12 weeks

;)

4 Weeks for the foot + 4 Weeks in the WAFL =

Eagles domination from Round 9

Originally posted by Black JuJu
Ahh yeah must have been an error with the cut and paste there Streaker.

This should read -

Travis Gaspar (foot) 10-12 weeks

;)

He'll be back on time this year, just you wait and see :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if gardi plays CHF then Johnson would start on the bench, fair enough since he has practically no afl experience

Originally posted by eagleye
Gardiner, who has missed much of the pre-season with a hamstring strain, has been ruled out of this weekend’s opening round.

Originally posted by eagleye

“No, I didn’t. The hamstring just wasn’t quite a hundred percent this week. It will be next week, so I’m looking forward to playing round one,”

Aren't these two quotes contridictory?

Would you guys go with McDougall, Gardiner and Johnson all up forward at once? We couldn't cover three big guys like that in the air but would be able to run the ball out fairly easily.

Re: Re: Has Gardiner been rules out of round 1?

Originally posted by scooter600x
Would you guys go with McDougall, Gardiner and Johnson all up forward at once? We couldn't cover three big guys like that in the air but would be able to run the ball out fairly easily.

It is a possibility that we could play those 3 up forward and with the defensive skills of Matera, Chick and Sampi we would still be able to lock the ball in our forward 50.

Personally I doubt Gardiner will play at all.

Re: Re: Has Gardiner been rules out of round 1?

Originally posted by scooter600x

“No, I didn’t. The hamstring just wasn’t quite a hundred percent this week. It will be next week, so I’m looking forward to playing round one,”

Aren't these two quotes contridictory?

I can understand how that would be confusing, it ain't exactly clear.

If you look at the date which it comes from though (last friday) the opening round they are refering to was that weekend's WAFL round 1..

I still can't beleive that they are contemplating playing Gardiner by flying him over early. Doesn't show much faith in players such as Johnson if they play Gardiner at CHF or Cox and Seaby if they play him in the ruck. It is the start of the season and they are already taking risks with players health.

I still can't beleive that they are contemplating playing Gardiner by flying him over early. Doesn't show much faith in players such as Johnson if they play Gardiner at CHF or Cox and Seaby if they play him in the ruck. It is the start of the season and they are already taking risks with players health.

To be fair though we do have Port, Essendon and Brisbane in the first month of the season. So the Bulldogs game takes on a lot of importance.

I think its more the point that they want him out there desperatly. He is one of our best and most influential players so who wouldnt want him there, even if it means 85% fit. Johnno can make up the other 15%!

Originally posted by DanielKerr4
I think its more the point that they want him out there desperatly. He is one of our best and most influential players so who wouldnt want him there, even if it means 85% fit. Johnno can make up the other 15%!

I would prefer to have 15 games of him being 100% fit rather than letting him re-injure his knee because he is only 85% fit and have him only play 8 games. We could always go back to last year and see what happened when we played players who weren't 100%. McIntosh will always be remembered for those bad games. Jakovich and Gardiner were of little use in the last
2-3 games. It isn't as if we don't have players who can fill the positions that Gardiner would be put into.

I personally am sick of these "so called experts" righting the whole side off without Gardi in the team. I'd like to see the young guys have a red hot crack early on in the seson while they are fresh and prove them wrong. I think they are up to it, and we should have the confidence to let Gardi get 100%.
It feels like we are just about writing ourselves off by taking him when hes not ready, like we dont have any confidence in Cox, Seaby or Johno.
Give these guys a chance now i say, while the whole team is fresh and ready to go.

do we know his not fit, sure theres been some doubt but he might pull up 100 percent fine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back